Do you even buy factory ammo?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 12,637 Senior Member
I realized the other day in the reloading room that I really don't have a lot of factory ammo for the stuff I shoot. Pretty much it's only SD ammo and some SD and match ammo for my AR. Of course my rimfires have factory ammo, but I really don't have a lot of factory stuff, otherwise. Last time I fired some store bought ammo was to function test and check POA/POI on my SD firearms.

Anybody else in a similar boat? I see folks talking about good deals on ammo, but... I'd just as soon spend the money on components.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,020 Senior Member
    I stopped buying factory target ammo as soon as I started buying reloading equipment.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Only time I buy factory ammo is if it is really cheap and I need new brass or if I get a new caliber rifle and need some brass.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,956 Senior Member
    Very little factory ammo....the onlything we buy is self-defense ammo.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,434 Senior Member
    I have a bunch of factory ammo. Some from years past and some......given to me.

But, I don't buy factory ammo unless absolutely necessary.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,018 Senior Member
    I shoot mostly factory ammo these days, especially pistol ammo and ammo for my ar and ak and surplus for most of my milsurps.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,575 Senior Member
    I'll buy it by the case if it's a really good deal. Other than 22 not so much.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,354 Senior Member
    I shoot mostly hand loads...
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Yes. I have cashes of factory ammo.
    Some from before I started handloading. Some because I like it, some because it was on sale.

I have found ammo from small indepent makers that has been very good. Some made by outfits I dont even know who they are I picked up at gun shows. Others from better known folks like Georgia Arms.

Im of the opinion that in many cases modern factory ammunition is of bettet quality than it ever has been. Prices can be more than Im ready to swallow though.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Double post
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,966 Senior Member
    Yes. Rimfire .22, and 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 for blasting ammo. Semiautos tend to throw cases into the next zip code. Everything else I reload for, and scrounge brass every chance I get. And I buy factory stuff for a new caliber for the brass while waiting for new cases to arrive, or hopefully find in stock. Last three years have been he devil to find new brass OR loaded ammo for some chamberings. .17 Mach 2 is unobtanium.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,234 Senior Member
    Anytime I get a new rifle, I buy factory ammo, usually 40 -60 rounds, these get fireformed to that chamber than handloaded only for that rifle.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,859 Senior Member
    I realized the other day in the reloading room that I really don't have a lot of factory ammo for the stuff I shoot. Pretty much it's only SD ammo and some SD and match ammo for my AR. Of course my rimfires have factory ammo, but I really don't have a lot of factory stuff, otherwise. Last time I fired some store bought ammo was to function test and check POA/POI on my SD firearms.

Anybody else in a similar boat? I see folks talking about good deals on ammo, but... I'd just as soon spend the money on components.

Unless it's shotshell, rimfire or SD, it's reloaded in my house. I have guns that have literally never had a single factory round through them.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,288 Senior Member
    Only for my 1911.....none for my rifles
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    For self defense, I will always carry factory ammo in my pistols.

Even if I learn how to reload (2017 goal), my criminal defense experience -> I don't want to explain a "secret recipe" to a jury.

My testimony:
    Where did you get your ammo? Cabela's
    What kind is it? Hornady American Gunner
    Why did you buy that round? It was on sale, I read the state police use it, etc.

Vs:
    Where did you get your ammo? I made it.
    How did you decide on that load? Hours of testing .... #gunnut -> to the jury

My 2 cents.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I shoot factory stuff in almost all of my handguns. Hardly any of my rifles.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,088 Senior Member
    Except for .410 and Rim Fire I loaded everthing, except for my SKSs and Garands. I bought Norinco ammo for that and got the Garand ammo from the DCM. I also bought a lot of 9mm so I didn't load for it. I bought a bunch of Norico 9mm once and still have some left. Also, as Jay and some others said, when I had a new rifle in a different cartridge I would buy factory ammo to shoot for the brass to reload.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    I hand load. But for the last few years I have been stocking up on factory ammo.......don't want to get stuck like we were a couple years ago when ammo was practically nonexistent. I do save my brass and will roll my own if need be. I do hand load all of my rimmed handgun stuff; .44mag, .45lc, .44spl etc. I have bought a bunch of the remanufactured stuff in FMJ for range work. Georgia Arms and LAX have some pretty good stuff and it goes on sale from time to time.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,038 Senior Member
    Haven't been shooting much lately and shop isn't all together yet so no reloading going on, have been buying ammo when the price is right.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,992 Senior Member
    I have a quite a bit of factory ammo on hand, I even still buy some. I am trying very hard to bring up my stocks with hand loads.

I have all the components, I just lack time... Ok, some days I have time but lack the motivation to reload in the garage with no AC.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    other than rimfire or shot shell, very little factory ammo. Altho I did pick up a couple of boxes of 6.8-06:p clearanced at walmart the other day. price was to good not to just for the brass.

Sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,525 Senior Member
    223 is the only rifle caliber i routinely buy factory ammo for.
    Pretty much all of my SD handgun ammo is factory. Everything else is pretty much loaded here.

Wife's Ruger 77 Compact 308 and my 50 Beowulf upper have never had a round of factory ammo through them. K-31 had factory ammo for the brass.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 806 Senior Member
    I shoot only factory ammo because I don't reload. Or shoot often enough to make reloading worth it. I buy ammo at the bottom of the price curve & sales and then horde it.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,650 Senior Member
    I haven't reloaded in years. I still have some of my old reloads around but I hav just about 99% factory ammo in the house at this time.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    44 mag is quite pricey even at Wally World....I definitely reload for that. The 9mm and such I just buy factory reloads......just too lazy to reload it.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I buy lots of one fired reloads at Gun Shows for practice and general shooting. All my carry ammo is Factory ammo. Got out of reloading years back due to time and just got tired of doing it. :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,062 Senior Member
    I have recently started buying good deals on factory ammo that has been hard to find, in recent years. I jumped on the $10 a box .223 Gold Dots in both 64 grain and 75 grain, buying 10 boxes of each from Palmetto, even though I have plenty of handloads and plenty components to make more of it. My three AR's have never fired factory ammo, so far, but they will, eventually. I've also bought some SD handgun ammo, just because I'd rather use it for carry guns than hand loads. I did carry loaded with some hand loads during the shortages, but have mostly replaced all of it, as ammo became more available and prices dropped.

I find that many of my purchases in the last few years are just frustrated responses to some new gun control absurdity...basically, just striking back ineffectually, in the only way I know how. :tooth:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,300 Senior Member
    I shoot mostly factory ammo. I only have a few guns that I reload for.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,253 Senior Member
    I gave up on reloading 20+ years ago. I travel too much in my job, had kids on traveling baseball teams 11 months out of the year and could never find the time. Up until last month when my youngest moved to CO Springs for his new job I had him order it at the Gun Range where he worked so I got it for what they got it for. If I'm in a pinch then Wally World or my local Cabelas. I saw a brick of .22's for $78 at a local gun shop and about stroked out, he gets me a brick for $27 I think. I had him get me five bricks over the last couple months he worked there so I could stock up. We do enjoy our .22 shooting out at the ranch.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    If I buy a gun of different caliber, I will usually buy one box of ammo for it, then everything is reloaded. When it comes to auto pistols, I will lay a tarp down where hulls hit.I did buy wife a couple boxes of .38SPC full wadcutters because I didn't have any to load.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member
    Equipment wise, thanks to my dad and several generous forum members, I am ready to start handloading. However, unfortunately my work schedule dictates otherwise. As such I use factory ammo entirely right now.

My goal in this next 6 months is to start developing a hunting load for Fall 2017.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C