Home Main Category Clubhouse

I like to collect knives

SmileySmiley MemberPosts: 201 Member
I'm not a woodsman nor a hunter so the knives I collect don't see heavy duty. They're inexpensive knives I bought from the wholesaler and most of them are built quite good.

I started out with the assisted open knives except for two, one on the lower left is a switchblade.

S5030701.jpgupload pictures

Then I collected full tang fixed blades. Those are really decent stuff. Because I have a LTC I have no restrictions to knife carry as long as I have my LTC and my pistol on me. I pick one and carry for the day. I made the handle for the one in the upper right.

S5030699.jpgfree image upload

Just added these a month ago. I have two more to buy next month.

S5030779.jpgimage post

I always have this in my pocket at all times.

S5030519.jpggreenshot

Replies

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    The main problem with the inexpensive knives is the cheap steel. You totally redeem yourself, with the HK Turmoil OTF. American made, by Benchmade, with a D2 tool steel blade. My current EDC is a HK Patrol. That blade is sharp enough to shave the hair off your arm, without even trying. Kentucky is weird, my knife is covered by my Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons Permit.

IMG_4608a_zpsgake2sj1.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Nice start... I think you will find that after you have collected a bunch of inexpensive knives you will want to get better stuff.

I like the analogy, "Would you like 100 pennies or four quarters?" Since both equal a dollar, same value, but less to carry around, and quarters easier to spend.

If you intend to collect, consider what your resale value might be. Certain knives, like Randall's keep a very high value and if you buy them right you can actually make a profit.

http://www.randallknives.com/

Go to EBAY and search Randall Knives and you will see what I mean.

Nothing wrong with collecting what you like, especially if you will never sell them or need the money from them for an emergency.

You might eventually get into the steel aspect of the knives you collect as well.

Enjoy!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    I know they are cheap steel but some are 440C steel which is decent steel. One in the bunch is a Colt with D2 steel blade and G10 handle for $15. Stupid sharp out of the box.

S5030528.jpgimage uploading site

By the way, I have a WorkSharp knife sharpener. All the knives are stupid sharp.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    Nice knives! I don't exactly collect knives, I buy knives which I lose. I carry two knives, for some reason, a Gerber lightweight knife and a Kizer assisted opening, which my daughter gave me for my birthday. I'll try not to lose them!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • dlddld Member Posts: 418 Member
    you got a good start, now buy some quality knives to keep company with your H&K because it don't want to hang around trashy :jester:ones

I use to just like knives and have hundreds of them.
    It came to a point that I am only quality knives now.
    Not super expensive ones but good quality ones.
    I would rather have one ot two good knives than fifty cheap ones.
    I get that a lot from the snobs. :jester:

The "trashy ones" stabs as good as the $300 ones.

Once upon a time I knew nothing about knives. I asked on a knife forum for a carry knife and out of the suggestions I picked this one for $50. It works well but has an AUG8 steel which is like the 440B. Some of my cheap knives have 440C steel and cost 1/3 of the SOG.

S5030824.jpgpicture uploader

I then researched knives and learned quite a bit. Better steel carries a price and I can't see spending that much since I don't use it much and it's mostly carry. I got the HK Turmoil because I found it for $120 so I grabbed it.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 848 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nice! Some fun looking blades in the bunch! I LOVE knives!
    Goodness gracious. What don't you love?

Smiley,

Knife Addiction, I mean collecting, is a cheaper version of gun collecting. Be thankful you don't have that bug, yet. Nice collection.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
    I can't afford to collect guns nor I want to but I like playing with the knives. I have a G29 10mm pistol and an MP15 5.56mm Carbine. One ammo box full of 10mm and 40sw and another ammo box full of 223 and 556 ammo. That's all I need.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    Smiley wrote: »
    I can't afford to collect guns nor I want to but I like playing with the knives. I have a G29 10mm pistol and an MP15 5.56mm Carbine. One ammo box full of 10mm and 40sw and another ammo box full of 223 and 556 ammo. That's all I need.

What is the 40 S&W for?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I have the 40sw barrel for the G29.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    I have the 40sw barrel for the G29.

Gotcha, does the gun prefer one round over the other as far as accuracy?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • dlddld Member Posts: 418 Member
    I get that a lot from the snobs. :jester:

I know what you mean, the pocket knife I carry is under $50 and my friends is $400, He looks down on my knife but it cuts just as good as his does.:jester:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Gotcha, does the gun prefer one round over the other as far as accuracy?

Pretty much the same.
    dld wrote: »
    I know what you mean, the pocket knife I carry is under $50 and my friends is $400, He looks down on my knife but it cuts just as good as his does.:jester:

It annoys them when I say stab instead of cut. :jester:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I have a thing for USA Kershaw and Western Bowie knives.

100_2498.jpg

100_2500.jpg

100_2503.jpg

100_2504.jpg

100_2507.jpg

100_2509.jpg

100_2511.jpg

100_2512.jpg
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    How is it a cheaper version? My wife would disagree :devil:

First off, I'm not disagreeing with Mrs. Wambli. She'd kick my behind without breaking a sweat. Maybe you need an intervention. :nono:

Here's my logic:With a gun collection, you have to feed and clean things regularly. Whereas with a Knife collection, you clean only once in a while and admire them regularly.

The most I've paid for a blade was $300-500, for a Damascus Steel sword with Silver inlaid handles and scabbard. Went shopping while in India. Talk about fun coming back into the US. I have a few knives in the similar style. Here's a not so good picture of one:
    Here are my exotics:
    63974b0b5ac400884977fe488b109aa8.jpg

Bowie style (handcrafted by my father)
    2 Indian Daggers of Damascus Steel w/ Silver Inlaid handle & scabbards (Brought back from trips to India)
    1 Indian "short" Short of Damascus Steel w/ Silver Inlaid Bone handle & scabbard (Brought back from trip to India)
    Japanese Dagger (Brought back from trip to Japan)

Don't have any pics of my other knives.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    My EDC. I've had this for the last couple years now and have used the HECK out of it. 154CM steel assisted opening Benchmade "Mini Barrage".

[IMG][/img]IMG_20160828_174159.jpg

Literally razor sharp, holds a great edge, and when it does get dull, a couple minutes on an old black Arkansas stone brings it right back to razor sharp again.

My first Benchmade, but it won't be the last.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Good collection of pointy things!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain