Home Main Category Clubhouse

A bit annoyed with Pelican right now...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 24,616 Senior Member
I've used Pelican cases for many years for many things, and think the world of their product.

HOWEVER

I recently inherited one that had been modified, some holes drilled in its lid. I figured, "So just buy a new lid!". Nope, they won't sell me one.

I find this attitude to be counter productive to good business, wasteful of a perfectly good "rest of the case", and unreasonable. I'm not here to bash Pelican, I still think their product is wonderful, but this type of attitude - all too often encountered - annoys me. It also seems to me that you encounter this type of attitude more among American companies - very short sighted.

You know, maybe "next time" I'll look at one of their competitors, perhaps they have a better business ethic. Or maybe not!

Am I being unreasonable?
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
)O(

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    Pelicans can be annoying, especially when they take off and take a dump and your in a boat.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,616 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Pelicans can be annoying, especially when they take off and take a dump and your in a boat.

Seagulls are worse!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Try cormorants
    I had to look cormorants up. Do they strafe like seagulls?

)O(
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "A funny bird, the Pelican- - - - -his beak can hold more than his belly- - -can!"
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    zorba wrote: »
    Sometimes, but, more like a squadron of B-52s carpet bombing.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    "A funny bird, the Pelican- - - - -his beak can hold more than his belly- - -can!"
    Jerry

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I have two of them and they are pretty much indestructible. Why would a company have spare parts for something that will never wear out unless one purposely destroys it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women...

And swimming between their legs
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Silicone the holes shut. Problem solved, that'll be $97.50.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,640 Senior Member
    Yep...AquaSeal inside and out OR if the holes are big enough a bolt and nut , and flat washers over a rubbeer washer inside and out....problem solved again...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Yea, sandwiching a couple of aluminum plates with silicon is what I'm leaning towards too.

)O(
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 893 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I have two of them and they are pretty much indestructible. Why would a company have spare parts for something that will never wear out unless one purposely destroys it.

This, We deal with this stuff all the time at work, goes about like this; you're having what problem? Oh, really, is X connected to Y? No, do you have this overflow valve installed per our specification? Did you follow our preparation guide?
    No, you thought you could increase capacity and pressure by ignoring our installation guide and the tens of thousands of dollars worth of engineering and certification compliance we spent to provide you with a durable and dependable product that is fit for purpose and will last a lifetime and a half with a bare minimum of care?

You now want us to fix your balls up or replace it at our cost? :roll:

I kind of think you're being silly, especially since the fix is so simple, if the hinges had sheared off then I'd be right with you in saying they should make it right, Joe Bloggs drilling the lid and then deciding he's unhappy with the result? Not so much.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    To be fair, Zorba didn't drill it, nor was be expecting Pelican to warranty said repair...just sayin

His request to buy a replacement part wasn't out of line.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 893 Senior Member
    CGG, I'm not saying his request is out of line, I'd have asked the same, but like Buford said, they are basically indestructible, I've used them for ever for FAK's and other exposed to salt water and sunshine all day long, they just don't break, I can see why Pelican would consider them a one piece unit for manufacturing and distribution purposes.

I just don't think it's reasonable in this instance with this product and situation to be annoyed at them for not wanting to supply a new lid, JMHO, I also know Zorba didn't ask for warranty on it.

I can understand Zorbas annoyance, I also see Pelican's side too, it does cost a company more then you would think to keep spares in inventory, ship spares and just plain answer the phone and deal with the issue at hand.
    All for an issue which is not common and probably occurs next to never.

If I'm coming over strong I'm not intending to, just something that I see a bit of in my day to day life and wanted put out the other sides view of it.
    One other option for a fix. Glue a piece of something on the inside of the holes and fill them from the top with this. http://www.tacomascrew.com/Products/Adhesives/3M-540-Black-Polyurethane-Sealant-540?gclid=CJWYj4-S384CFY4AaQodhfYN5w

Use a putty knife to smooth the polyurethane out flush and the repair would be less visible.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    And swimming between their legs

That's not in the scene.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,643 Senior Member
    Might be a good use for Polymold:
    https://www.amazon.com/Polymold-Moldable-Plastic-35-2-Oz/dp/B00H3V1GN4

As long as it does not get over 140 degrees, this stuff is awesome. Its like duct tape in 3d- you heat it up in hot water, and mold it into any shape. Make a plug out of it, flare it on both sides while still warm, then seal with silicone or one of the other sealants

I use this stuff a lot. I made a flat sheet that i carry in my wallet so I can make stuff on the fly while traveling or out of the house
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Silicone the holes shut. Problem solved, that'll be $97.50.

You fella's that live inland have prolly never heard of 5200.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    When working we just put a bolt, washer and nut in the hole. If needed we also used rubber washers. Also use vibration proof nuts.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    Considering how anti-modern and anti-technology you are and Pelican cases are a relatively modern product, you should be carrying your stuff around in an antique leather bag.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Considering how anti-modern and anti-technology you are and Pelican cases are a relatively modern product, you should be carrying your stuff around in an antique leather bag.
    Snort!

I won't say I'm anti-technology per se, but I'm not really for inappropriate applications of same, or technology for its own sake. I went through that phase many years ago and eventually figured out how foolish it is.

But I'm gonna fix it - probably with a nice looking piece of diamond plate (there's 3 widely separated 1" holes). Of course its a hassle and expense for Pelican to pull a lid out of their stock of 10 billion of them, you price it accordingly and earn the goodwill of your customers. I'd bet if they were a Japanese company, this wouldn't have been an issue.

)O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »

The popular or colloquial name for a Cormorant is "Water Turkey" I was probably 30 years old before I ever heard anyone call them a cormorant. One thing about them is that many are killed by city goose hunters every year. This amazes me because in my eye they don't really resemble geese. Just a bit of a difference in wing beat.

Nothing is as bad as a sea gull. I was cleaning fish at Port O'Connor Fishing Center one time. I had just opened a fresh can of Coors. I swear, if I hadn't been watching I would have gotten a gulp of Seagull S..t. He must have had a Norden Bomb Sight. It hit the hole in my beer can dead on, didn't even leave any traces on the edges. I just happen to be watching.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Another sealing option might be Marine-Tex. That stuff can seal a leak in a creek!
    Jerry
    I just cut a piece of surplus diamond plate - a bit on the thick side, but hey! Will glop it on with 5200 or similar.

)O(
    These people are geared to sell whole brief cases. They evidently aren't Logistically geared to sell pieces. That was a business decision that their bean counter's made at some point. I feel your pain believe me. I've been in your shoes with other things. But that's what they do. How big are the holes? You could put some Jewels or initials or something in the holes.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry
    Man! Talk about a Dip of Copenhagen!!!
    You fella's that live inland have prolly never heard of 5200.

I'm only about a half mile from the bay which is salt water and I've never heard of it. Can you bed rifles with it? You can with grey Marine Tex.
    I'm only about a half mile from the bay which is salt water and I've never heard of it. Can you bed rifles with it? You can with grey Marine Tex.

It's a marine sealant that is like silicone on steroids. It sticks to almost anything and is tough as heck once it cures. It stays a little resiliant so you wouldnt want to bed a rifle with it but anything that you seal with it is never comming apart. It's made by 3M.
    It's a marine sealant that is like silicone on steroids. It sticks to almost anything and is tough as heck once it cures. It stays a little resiliant so you wouldnt want to bed a rifle with it but anything that you seal with it is never comming apart. It's made by 3M.

Nope never heard of it.
    Dad 5-31-13