Home Main Category Clubhouse

Jeep Lifter Question

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,484 Senior Member
Jeep 4.0L inline sixes always make lifter noise. Mines been ticking for years. A couple weeks ago it started getting louder and now it's up to a very loud clack. I suspect it's a rocker although I haven't taken it apart. I'm think of replacing the lifters, rockers, pushrods and associated stuff. The parts are increadibly cheap, probably do it all for 200 bucks or so. I don't realy want to dig into the cam/timing chain/water pump and so on as that is a major deal. My question is, can you get the lifters out from the top? I'm talking about if I take the rockers and pushrods and stuff out or would the head have to come off? It's fuel injected so no manifold to remove.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The first thing to do is take the valve cover off and do a thorough visual inspection. Progressive louder valve train noise usually means you have a camshaft lobe that's wearing out and the lifter has run out of movement to take up the slack. Is the engine missing or running tough? Watch for a valve that's not moving as far as the rest of them, either by cranking the engine over with the starter or by running the engine for a short time with the valve cover off. It will spray some oil that way, so don't run it very long.

If you don't see a noticeable difference in valve motion, changing lifters might be an option, but the cam lobe shape will still be a concern. I'd also suggest using a dial indicator to check the cam lift on each lobe before investing in new lifters. Good luck!

Most inline sixes have a sheet metal side cover for lifter access, not sure about the Jeep.
    Jerry
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Seems to be running fine, no noticable miss or loss of power but seems to be using more gas. Do you think new lifters would help for a while even if the cam is worn? I don't think the cam would have that radical a change in a few weeks to go from tick tick to a LOUD CLACK CLACK would it?

The cam means taking the whole front end of the vehicle apart. Been there done that just to change the radiator and I never could get the fan/clutch off. Had to improvise a bit.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,437 Senior Member
    How many miles are on it?
    I just checked- - - -no side cover on a 4.0 engine! I think the lifters can be fished out through the cylinder head with a special grabber tool that used to be sold by Lisle tools. It has an expanding set of grabber jaws to get a hold on the lifter body and pull it out of the bore as long as it's not worn mushroom-shaped on the bottom. How is your oil pressure? A sudden drop in oil pressure will allow all the lifters to collapse and get very noisy.
    Jerry
    188K mi, many towing a 5000+ lb max load but not lately.

Oil pressure drops kind of low at idle when it's been running a while, otherwise it's normal. I don't think it's just soft lifter noise. It's become a very loud metal slapping metal kind of sound that follows the RPMs. Kind of what a rocker would sound like. Maybe I should just pull the valve cover and check the rockers. Could be one cracked or bent maybe.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    If it is the valves/lifters etc., I cant help but wonder how much more than $200.00 a rebuilt head is.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    Try going to heavier oil.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,437 Senior Member
    Any chance it might be a rod knocking?
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Any chance it might be a rod knocking?

Could be but I don't think so, higher pitched sound.

Reman head is like 400.00 +175.00 core+shipping. Would still need lifters and such.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    I have a 97 GC with 180,000. Just starting to get some valvetrain noise. Actually, it has all kinds of noises now. Keeps on going.
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    A rod knocking will have a hollow sound while the lifter is more like a clicking sound. Pulling the spark plug wire one at a time while idling will locate the bad rod.
    Swapping lifters without installing a new cam is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, especially on a 200K mile engine. Do some diagnosis and find out what the problem really is before you make a SWAG about fixing it.
    Jerry