More Pigs!

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,245 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    There is harvested corn all over the field. And pig tracks. Lots........of pig tracks.

I'm gonna need a bigger boat!

243%20Medium%208-26-16%202_zpsajtrpjyg.jpg
    Could we get a normal-sized foot beside that print for a good scale. It looks big, but with your kid's foot as a reference, it messes things up. How 'bout using a ruler? English units, no metric.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,808 Senior Member
    Up raised his head and looked my way.

I thought the next line was going to be out came my knife.

I can't recall.....old ya know.
    Have you used the 25-06 yet ?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Up raised his head and looked my way.

I thought the next line was going to be out came my knife.

?
    No, tire iron
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    I love when Zee tells his huntin' adventures. I bet he moves with cat-like swiftness too. Good job Zee-man. I am a bit envious......sounds like a great time.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,087 Senior Member
    From the get go, the farmer told me to leave them where they lay. In plowed fields, I do. If I shoot them in standing wheat or corn, I try to drag them to the field's edge if possible. Just for my own peace of mind as the buzzards and yotes create about a 20 foot circle of destruction when demolishing a dead pig.

But, to answer your question. They are rendered to bones rather quickly and the farmer just plows over them.

Have you ever tried using a supressor as part of your strategy?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,944 Senior Member
    Have you ever tried using a supressor as part of your strategy?

D991746B-3005-4809-8F91-D7300D431041_zpsqqibfvxe.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Hondo341 wrote: »
    I love when Zee tells his huntin' adventures. I bet he moves with cat-like swiftness too. Good job Zee-man. I am a bit envious......sounds like a great time.

B90AE39F-FAAB-439F-B1C2-C90C27205E8A_zpslvrxukjq.gif
    NN wrote: »
    No, tire iron

Not today.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Have you used the 25-06 yet ?

In deer and antelope. Not pigs, yet.
    Could we get a normal-sized foot beside that print for a good scale. It looks big, but with your kid's foot as a reference, it messes things up. How 'bout using a ruler? English units, no metric.

Why you gotta be so hurtful?

Hurtful, I say!!!
    Why you gotta be so hurtful?

Hurtful, I say!!!
    Oh, that was your foot?

That track was smaller than I thought....

Nice job on the stalk and shoot. You don't use an illuminated reticle, right? Just rely on ambient light, or use flashlights to identify and spot targets?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Nice job on the stalk and shoot. You don't use an illuminated reticle, right? Just rely on ambient light, or use flashlights to identify and spot targets?

No illumination at all.

Maybe some toys, though.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    B90AE39F-FAAB-439F-B1C2-C90C27205E8A_zpslvrxukjq.gif

Hmmmm, You seem taller on the G&A Forum. Nice running.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,102 Senior Member

I knew this was coming...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,102 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Ya know that scene in Legends of the Fall where Brad Pitt rides back into the Canadian Army camp wearing about ten German scalps?

That's how I imagine Zee coming home to his wife every day.

Awesome! :worthy:

So many things could be said here.................................
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,824 Senior Member
    Amazing stuff.

This just screams suppressed subsonics to me. Instead on a loud bang flash, why not a 500 gr suppressed .458 Socom? That's about 1200 FPE at muzzle. Better than that about 1000 FPE at distance even though it is a mortar shot over 100 yards. With a 75 yard zero there is a 3.5 inch drop at 100, but at 50 yards only 1.2 high

Still, I would think it would give you more chances at pigs if they weren't spooked. You could do it with a 45-70 as well.

Just a thought.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,153 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'd LOVE to suppress a 45-70. A 405 at sub sonic speed would easily kill what needs killing. Actually, we could do it with the 430 SJS. 300 grain cast bullet would do the trick as well.

Better variation on the theme would be to start with a Ruger 77/44 and do the whole integrally-suppressed barrel thing. A DeLisle Carbine with maximum huevos. A 300 grain WFN .44 would do the trick with a relatively small charge of fast pistol powder generating a lower overall volume of gas to bleed off. Probably use a tumble lube bullet to minimize the amount of goop going into the baffles.

. . .

. . .

. . .

I have GOT to get out of this (*&(*^*#*&%(^%$@$%^$(&;^$#!ing state!!!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I am anti subsonic ammo.

I've played with it. I've used it. I have some.

To me..........useless. It is too limited in distance and trajectory critical. I can shoot more animals in a group not having to worry about trajectory and distance with full bore ammo that is..........a little quieter than normal......than I ever could with sub ammo. And.......full bore ammo is more effective.

Believe you me.......pigs ain't stupid. First buddy that gets hit (even with sub ammo) and "roinks out" or beats feet across the field...........the rest don't just stand there, "Hmmm I wonder what could ever be wrong with Wilbur? No matter. Let's continue minding our own business of eating corn."

Yeah........that don't happen.

I can use quieter full bore ammo........pop 3-4............give it awhile.........and the rest will calm down or eventually come back.

If not, hey! I get to come back another night!!!! Win!
    Believe you me.......pigs ain't stupid. First buddy that gets hit (even with sub ammo) and "roinks out". . .

:spittingcoffee: You heard it here first folks. I'm now wondering how many you have to bag in a night for it to be considered an episode of "roink rage". . .
    WWJMBD?

:spittingcoffee: You heard it here first folks. I'm now wondering how many you have to bag in a night for it to be considered an episode of "roink rage". . .

That's they fight each other.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,824 Senior Member
    I am anti subsonic ammo.

To me..........useless. It is too limited in distance and trajectory critical. I can shoot more animals in a group not having to worry about trajectory and distance with full bore ammo that is..........a little quieter than normal......than I ever could with sub ammo. And.......full bore ammo is more effective.

Believe you me.......pigs ain't stupid. First buddy that gets hit (even with sub ammo) and "roinks out" or beats feet across the field...........the rest don't just stand there, "Hmmm I wonder what could ever be wrong with Wilbur? No matter. Let's continue minding our own business of eating corn."

I can use quieter full bore ammo........pop 3-4............give it awhile.........and the rest will calm down or eventually come back.

It's not fair, ethical or sporting, it is pest control! I am betting you have the same or similar gear as the guys from Jager Pro.

https://jagerpro.com/thermal/

So given your superior skills behind a trigger, head shots. Heaviest, quietest bullet you can use ( no ROINKS! ), at least that would be my idea to quell more in less time.

I see you have a cottage industry. Maybe you can sell the meat to China as organic pork! ;)

http://southwestfarmpress.com/livestock/heres-how-livestock-producers-can-profit-feral-swine-invasion?page=1

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    When hunting hogs I like to use a bigger bullet, like in my .243 I like something in the area of 100 grains. Having said that, I've killed them with 87 ish grain bullets but I try to put them in the ear. The piggy can NOT stand an ear ache and he falls down every time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I am anti subsonic ammo.

Our pigs here seem to be a little more skiddish than yours, but sub ammo won't make much difference. One pig hits the ground and the whole bunch will flush like a covey of quail, Sub ammo or Full power. It don't matter.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yep.
    So many things could be said here.................................

YEAH but somethings are better left unsaid
    snake284 wrote: »

Also, I didn't realize you were a Pig Dentist!!!
    The best thing you could do to take out a bunch a pigs at once is take an AR or a Garand. You could probably get at least 3 or 4 like that, maybe more.

Edited to Add: Opps! I forgot to add, But that wouldn't be any fun for me! I'm more into a surgical assasination.
    Hmmm... a suppressed rifle shooting heavy subsonics. A repeater. Maybe a lever action? Nah, that would be heretical.

2c48e915af0669ce6756e86b2dbe28d4.jpg

I know it's the wrong chambering. Bear with me...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Ya know that scene in Legends of the Fall where Brad Pitt rides back into the Canadian Army camp wearing about ten German scalps?

That's how I imagine Zee coming home to his wife every day.

Awesome! :worthy:

Yeah, but if he gets that sociable with 10 or 15 dead pigs his wife might make him sleep on the porch!
    snake284 wrote: »

Ok. . .he's shooting nuisance pigs by the truckload, taking trophies from the prime specimens, conducting autopsies on some of them, cutting others into pieces to use for ballistic testing, taking and posting detailed photos of all of the above. . .

And you're calling for RESTRAINT on a thread like this?!?!?!????? Leave it to the .270 shooter. :jester:
    WWJMBD?