Food plots are disked and planted

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,552 Senior Member
It's been a slow summer with threads. Took the week off and disked and planted my food plots, well 4 out of 5 of them. All told I have about 3.5 acres of food plots planted with one to go. The 5th food plot is still very wet from the 5" of rain we got a week ago. That food plot floods fairly easily under a foot plus of water after a big rain. Actually my buddy keeps telling me to plant rice in it! Hopefully I can disk it a little next weekend but have decided to just plant some clover and turnips.

I may be a tad early this year but have a few long international business trips in Sept and Oct and didn't want to have to rush to get them in.

Had my local feed store mix the seeds types and fertilizer. It worked out to be around 75% wheat, 20% yellow clover and the rest turnips and peas. The clover, peas and turnips usually come in nicely for the fall and help keep the deer around.

20160827_092201.jpg

20160827_095945.jpg

20160827_101706.jpg

20160827_102437.jpg
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,530 Senior Member
    Looks like your ready
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    I've got to get started. But I've got bush hog problems and can't find a used one for a decent time price. Prices on used 5- 7 ft equipment have gone through the roof around here.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    It's been a slow summer with threads. Took the week off and disked and planted my food plots, well 4 out of 5 of them. All told I have about 3.5 acres of food plots planted with one to go. The 5th food plot is still very wet from the 5" of rain we got a week ago. That food plot floods fairly easily under a foot plus of water after a big rain. Actually my buddy keeps telling me to plant rice in it! Hopefully I can disk it a little next weekend but have decided to just plant some clover and turnips.

I may be a tad early this year but have a few long international business trips in Sept and Oct and didn't want to have to rush to get them in.

Had my local feed store mix the seeds types and fertilizer. It worked out to be around 75% wheat, 20% yellow clover and the rest turnips and peas. The clover, peas and turnips usually come in nicely for the fall and help keep the deer around.

20160827_092201.jpg

20160827_095945.jpg

20160827_101706.jpg

20160827_102437.jpg

Not only do they come in nicely for the fall, they also help the heard out tremendously.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    This is what I want to do on our lease.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Not only do they come in nicely for the fall, they also help the heard out tremendously.

Snake 284,

Since my neighbor high fenced his property it has really affected my deer population by 65 to 70%. I knew I'd take a hit but wasn't hoping that bad. I put a feeder up in the NW portion of my property. It's near the main FM road and about 150 yards from the house. I thought what the heck maybe I can pull some deer from across the road. It took three nights for the deer to find the feeder. I've had two to three does on camera for the past 3 nights. I figure where there's does there will be bucks this Oct/Nov. I disked the small area with the feeder which was the first pic in this series. It's about a 1/4 acre food plot so I'll see how the season goes.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I've got to get started. But I've got bush hog problems and can't find a used one for a decent time price. Prices on used 5- 7 ft equipment have gone through the roof around here.

And when you do find something for a cat1 that is in the price range, it should come with welding rods.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    The population probably hasnt changed much, but the movement has. IIRC he only fenced 100ish ac? They can walk around that in 15 min at a slow browse. You just have to give them time to get used to it. Even if it was 300 it isnt that much in the deer scheme of things. Wet weather might have something to do with it to. They have food right now.

Give it some time.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    The population probably hasnt changed much, but the movement has. IIRC he only fenced 100ish ac? They can walk around that in 15 min at a slow browse. You just have to give them time to get used to it. Even if it was 300 it isnt that much in the deer scheme of things. Wet weather might have something to do with it to. They have food right now.

Give it some time.

Actually, it was 400 acres he fenced. The previous years we did our deer counts in the beginning of Aug for our local game biologist. With eight game cameras going on 162 acres I usually have a good idea of the size of my deer herd. It's down significantly approaching almost 70% over the previous years since the fence went up.

All hope is not lost as we knew we'd take a hit, it will rebound. With the new feeder in the NW portion of the ranch it looks to be promising!

And when you do find something for a cat1 that is in the price range, it should come with welding rods.

That's a fact!
    I swear the seed I planted last week has grown rocks. I went to pull the camera chip this morning and there are big 4, 6 and 8" rocks everywhere. There weren't there last week when I disked. I go through this every year with my food plots, sooner or later I'll have all the rocks up. it just amazes me how they surface a week or so after I disk and plant!

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    No, no you won't get all the rocks. As a kid one of my jobs in the summer was picking rocks out of the field. We have sandstone in this area. We could fill the 16' bed of a wheat truck a foot deep a couple times each summer. This was land that had been cultivated for 80 or 90 years.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Cranked my tractor yesterday for the 1st time in 6-8 wks: now I have a miss. Bought new spark plugs which I hope to put in Saturday
    Cranked my tractor yesterday for the 1st time in 6-8 wks: now I have a miss. Bought new spark plugs which I hope to put in Saturday

Gas powered tractor? Don't see or hear of those to often! Best of luck on your food plots!

Was blessed this evening with a nice rain, hopefully enough to jump start my food plots!

cpj wrote: »
    Must be Oklahoma Sex Stones.

Boy ya got sex on the mind. Ya need to get your rocks off ! They're floating to the top!
    Jus hope it isn't a valve. Plug's are a lot cheaper. But these days Burned valves(or seats) are rare. Stellite is your friend.
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Gas powered tractor? Don't see or hear of those to often! Best of luck on your food plots!

Was blessed this evening with a nice rain, hopefully enough to jump start my food plots!

It's a Ford 8N. It was my grandfather's. Dad had the engine rebuilt ~15 yrs ago. It's been running fine. I just hope it's the plugs or a.plug wire.