Home Main Category Clubhouse

Got Bad Weather Coming In!

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
Tropical Depression #9, sitting out in the open Gulf between "Fladah" and Texas is turning back to the northeast, and is projected to make landfall right on the Coast about 30 miles due south of where I am! Supposed to have hurricane force winds, or nearly so, by the time it comes ashore! And, projected rainfall is expected to exceed 15 inches!!! Guarantee you that we'll have trees blown down and will be without electricity for quite a while! Probably will loose my okra and squash, too! Oh well, what the hell!

Replies

• dlddld Member Posts: 418 Member
    batten down the hatches, put on the rubber boots , rain jacket , sit tight and keep the powder dry
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,400 Senior Member
    BREAD AND MILK!!!!! Go to the store now and get all the bread and milk you can!!!

Don't ask why, just do it!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    As an old Fla. native that has made it thru many hurricanes all I can tell you is, if ya haven't already done it, button up, make sure ya got lots of water, food, batteries, fuel up the cars & trucks, ya know the drill, hope ya come thru OK.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Still a TS ain't it............TV... especially the Weather Ch hypes it up like Armageddon is upon us.

Will be and already is some flooding in low areas even before it hits. Bad news for crops and even gas prices as one business guy said because offshore rigs in the Gulf being shut down for the storm..........

Be good days to have the beach mostly to yersef :tooth:

Hope everyone will pull through all of the excessive rainfall and windy conditions OK.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Still a TS ain't it............TV... especially the Weather Ch hypes it up like Armageddon is upon us.

Will be and already is some flooding in low areas even before it hits. Bad news for crops and even gas prices as one business guy said because offshore rigs in the Gulf being shut down for the storm..........

That's just another BS reason to scam people out of a few more bucks. That crude sits in storage facilities for quite a while before it ends up at a gas station. The scamming got so bad that Florida had to pass a law several years back that only allows stations to raise their prices a few cents around a storm. The Shell stations around here were actually prosecuted and fined for gouging on gas after hurricane Ivan.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Scratch that, still a TD.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Stock up on the adult beverages- - - -milk goes sour after a few days without refrigeration! Ditto for beer- - - -it just gets warm, but unless you're a Brit, warm beer ain't all that wonderful!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,059 Senior Member
    Weather channels always hype this stuff up. HTOH I'm still in Wisconsin so the mess should be cleaned up by the time I get back!! Wife is home but she's a Flawda girl. I installed a whole house back up generator this year, NG, so power shouldn't be an issue. It's already kicked several times since in was installed.
    Al, what kind of investment was involved in that conversion? I've been considering installing a hard-wired backup generator with an automatic disconnect for our place since the power takes a dump on a regular basis. Mine would run on LP gas.
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,059 Senior Member
    It was about 7K for a 22KW Generac installed. The install took about two days.

After Ivan we were out of power for a week. When the power goes out, the generator is up and running in about 10 seconds.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    :angel2:

We got out of Fl in time, just a wet ride to the airport
    forecast to be here Sat
    some wind and rain
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,849 Senior Member
    Yawn. I don't worry until my favorite local brewery closes.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,642 Senior Member
    Keep your powder dry Brother.

If you decide to evacuate north, we have a spare bed for you & your wife.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Thanks, knite! We'll ride it out right here, though. The weather folks just moved the projected landfall a few miles west over to about Cape San Blas, but the projected northeast path from landfall puts it maybe 30 miles west of us. That puts us in the northeast quadrant, however, and that's where the worst of a tropical storm or hurricane is! It's not the sustained 50-70 MPH winds that cause the most concern, it's the darn micro-tornados that spin out of the winds. These are usually small, maybe a hundred yards across the funnel, but the damage these cause is extremely bad!

Back in November 1985 Hurricane Kate came in on just about exactly the projected path of this storm. As soon as Kate made landfall down just a little east of Cape San Blas, it was down-graded to a tropical storm. HOWEVER....! The winds were a steady 87 MPH when it passed over us! Blew down 42 10-12 inch DBH pines in our yard, but we sustained no damage to the house. Went 9 days and 18 hours without electricity or water :yikes:!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Never been in one, dont know what to advise:uhm:

Put the stock in the barn, and close the shutters?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    I already ranted to Big Chief. Try this on fer size. I am IN THE MIDDLE of getting a new roof installed. They tore out the old shingles, replaced a few boards on top, then put down the peel 'n stick paper. The metal roof won't go on until AFTER it quits raining. So far we are not leaking.......hope it stays that way. I don't know how you snow people do it. I am bored to death sitting inside.

Back when I was 19 I would be headed to the beach with my surf board.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,263 Senior Member
    Just tried to get gas. Two stations were out of 87 and 89 Octane. Spent an extra $.40/gal on Premium........

Schools are already closed tomorrow and Friday. Still no firm forecast. Could be 4''-15'' of rain and 35-70mph winds........

Didn't get bread and milk......... :yikes::silly:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Did you get beer?
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Just tried to get gas. Two stations were out of 87 and 89 Octane. Spent an extra $.40/gal on Premium........

Schools are already closed tomorrow and Friday. Still no firm forecast. Could be 4''-15'' of rain and 35-70mph winds........

Didn't get bread and milk......... :yikes::silly:

Holey Mother of Pearl! It's bread, milk, and TOILET PAPER! Jeez, I don't know how you younguns have lived as long as you have not knowing about storm preparation! Running out of TP during or immediately after any storm is a major catastrophe! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    What do you think the bread is for?
    OK, its happened! Elevated to hurricane strength about an hour ago, and landfall is locked in to be between St. Marks and Carrabelle, Florida. That's due south to about 30 miles west of me which puts us in the most dangerous northeast quadrant. Storm surge is expected to be 6+ feet along the coast with 9 to 12 inches of rain. Projected to come ashore about dark Thursday. Been 31 years since we've had one......guess it's our time now!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wish you and yours safe passage.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Hang in there- - - -batten down the hatches and stay turned into the wind! We sat out a few typhoons in Okinawa and the Phillipines with 100MPH sustained winds and gusts to 120! One that hit Okinawa dead center in 1971 was 3 days of wind and rain, 6 hours of dead calm as the eye passed, and 3 days of wind blowing the other way as the back side passed through!
    Jerry
    We are getting it blowing sideways here in Tampa. Then 10 min later it will be calm but rainy. Wind gonna pick up.
    My hunting lease is gonna get clobbered. It is right NE of the big bend area of N Fl. Hope I have a camper left when it goes through.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,263 Senior Member
    Stopped at Target on the way home and got a couple more cases of H20.............. Just in case. Shouldn't be to bad here. As long as the power doesn't go out.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    All you guys in the way of this storm, stay safe! See you on the backside of it.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,523 Senior Member
    Hondo341 wrote: »
    I don't know how you snow people do it. I am bored to death sitting inside.
    We dont stay inside
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Rain has started, and wind has picked up to 18-20kts. in gusts. Storm is projected to make landfall around 11PM just to the east of Apalachicola with a projected northeast path that will put it right down our driveway! We'll loose power and no question about that....only question is for how long!! We'll see, but I'm betting on at least 3 days!

Got the gas camp stove set up along with lanterns and flashlights. Plenty of drinking water, too! Filled up several of those 5 gallon glass carboys that I use to ferment cornmeal in :wink:! Tubs in both bathrooms filled with water, too. Got over half an acre in beautiful okra and Zephyr squash. Probability is that I'll loose all of that, but that's called "farming"! I'll post along and along just to describe how a hurricane works for those who have never experienced one. At least 'till we loose power!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Hang in there Rich!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine