Vest

big elkbig elk MemberPosts: 111 Member
I'm looking for a good Vest for carrying a conceal pistol and magazine. I really don't want one that has a lot pf pockets, Anyone have a suggestion for one, I have to watch prices but don't mind paying for one that is worth it.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    Not sure how many recommendations for a vest you'll get here. Most of us don't wear 'em, opting to go with untucked shirts, as the number of times a lot of us can get by wearing a vest and not looking odd are... limited.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    I got mine here. Well made.

http://www.concealedcarry.com/
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Welcome to the boards!
    Not sure how many recommendations for a vest you'll get here. Most of us don't wear 'em, opting to go with untucked shirts, as the number of times a lot of us can get by wearing a vest and not looking odd are... limited.

Bream speaks truth on this. Most CCW vests/photog vests/fishing vests, when worn in a typical public environment, scream "I'm carrying!" to those who would be looking for them. I got a 511 vest back in the day, and for years have only worn it as a travel vest; they make a fantastic vehicle for airline tickets, passports, water bottles, snacks, everything that you might have on a day's journey from Dulles to Bergstrom.

I have seen a few western-style vests for CCW that are a lot more unobtrusive, but they only work west of St. Louis and south of Rapid City. For 97% of the rest of us, a long-tailed untucked shirt or light cotton jacket over a T-shirt works best.

Oh, one more thing. If you're referring to a vest with pockets to actually carry a pistol in the vest, I strongly advise against it. That much weight makes the vest drape totally wrong, and will draw the very eyes you want to avoid. Carry on the beltline, or *maybe* in a shoulder rig, if that works for you. The garment should be cover, not carriage.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,411 Senior Member
    I have a western cc vest that you can't tell but it doesn't hold he pistol very well in the built in holster and as said it also sits lower on the one side and is uncomfortable to wear. I would sure try one before you spend your money on one.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Have a buddy that wears a leather vest, think biker type.
    With his PPS on one side and two reloads on the other, the vest hangs even. But it only goes with certain types of cloths.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    They're called a "Shoot-me-First" vests for a reason. Tacti-cool vests are better suited to Mall-Ningas.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I really like vests and wear them a lot. But, I like them for their thermal layering properties of keeping the core warm while allowing full movement of the extremities. So, I only wear them in cooler weather. And only those designed for such usage. I am not a tactical vest fan.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    They're called a "Shoot-me-First" vests for a reason.

Really? I guess those poor saps who wore vests as a part of their outfit didn't know what hit 'em. :uhm:

I wear a vest and a camo cap all the time practically and nobody bothered me. haven't seen anyone taking undue interest in me either.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Colombia sportswear fleece vest over a flannel lined canvas (LL Bean or Carhartt) over a 3 button henley will cover most outdoor working situations to about 25F
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If you are wearing a tactical looking vest, you are being looked at. You just don't know it. Maybe not by bad guys, but to other CCW permit holders. Not saying anyone will bother you, but you're being noticed.
    Tac vests stand out like a sore wiener.

This...tactical vests just scream "I'm packin"....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Smiley wrote: »
    I got mine here. Well made.

http://www.concealedcarry.com/
    I have an older model of their vests, I think it would be the double carry today; thought the outside pockets are no flap side hand warmers.

This vest has been ID as a western wear vest by people when wearing a western shirt, no clue it was a gun vest.

However, for the most part; I do not wear it unless it is cold enough to need at least a light jacket.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    I pocket carry. Never an issue.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that the man asked for a vest recommendation and got advice as to why not wear one, mostly, instead. I am going to imagine he's a pretty capable person and knows what he wants. You guys sound like my wife when I tell her I want to do something and she thinks of all the reasons I shouldn't. :angry:

I don't have any advice on vests because I don't wear one for concealment. I do have three long sleeve shirts with interior pockets for CC, and the look very unnatural with a weight on either side. They are good for traveling in the car with a lightweight handgun, but I wouldn't use it for all day carry if I were in the office, etc. I mention this only because if you get a vest, make sure it is stout enough to carry the weight of the gun you intend to CC. I think a vest would drape better than a shirt.

Let us know what you find. I for one am interested in your experience if only to get more educated regarding the options.

My opinion is you will want a heavier leather style vest or heavy cloth to manage the weight, almost like a shoulder rig.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    I was just pointing out that a lot of folks here don't wear them, so his chances of getting good advice here for that subject here were limited. He might be better served by looking elsewhere.

As far as the contrarian advice, is that really surprising? How many times have folks asked about a rifle, handgun, or cartridge and gotten contrarian advice based on experience, preference, or FPE?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I might wear a vest if I had one. Lots of older guys wear them - not because they think they are fooling anyone - just because they don't care. I use to wear the quilted type in the winter because I worked outside and it was enough to keep me warm on all but the coldest days dwn here (along with flannel shirts, wool socks, and long-handles).
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,352 Senior Member
    I've worn a vest in the past, and might wear one again... like Zee, for cooler weather and ease of movement. I can't offer any advice for a CCW vest, other than try before you buy.

Sorry, that's all I got.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Hey, if he wants to wear a vest, go for it. It's his ass.

Just offering my 2 cents on a subject that may get someone killed if they don't go into it fully informed.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Hey, if he wants to wear a vest, go for it. It's his ass.

Just offering my 2 cents on a subject that may get someone killed if they don't go into it fully informed.

Got any info that someone got killed because of a vest?

I haven't seen any.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    The really effective mall ninja vests have a big dayglow orange target silkscreened on the front and back, so the doofus who wears one can receive some accurate incoming fire while the rest of us who carry discreetly can have some time to draw, aim, and take out the perp! Nothing like being a "designated shoot-ee!"
    :drool:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,066 Senior Member
    I wear a fleece vest in cold weather and it works fine for concealment of a belt holster, but not for holding the weapon. It's saggy and the pockets aren't designed for carrying much of anything, like car keys when sitting down.

I've got a "range vest" which has numerous pockets and the type (numerous pockets but not necessarily range vests) is common enough around here so people don't stare at you, but they've just got too many pockets. The first one I saw was on an American tourist in a tour group coming back from Rome twenty years ago and it was curious enough and hand-looking enough that I asked hm about it and he described it as something like a tourist vest with all the pockets for carrying cameras and whatever. I think I've seen photographers and camera-persons wearing similar load bearing vests. I haven't worn mine in years.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Got any info that someone got killed because of a vest?

I haven't seen any.

Have you not read anything in the firearms press on this or any other topic you've chosen to argue with me about?

NRA Endowment Member
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Vest?

twilleys404Va.gif

Singlet?

That darn 'merican english getting me confoeded.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Nope. I haven't. I think it's BS also. But the "shoot me first vest" is a funny name.
    But that's not my point. My point is you stand out like a turd in a punch bowl wearing a tac vest. Doesn't bother me, but you stand out.
    Kind of like the guy in full 511 clothing. You're spotted from 3 miles away.

Really? Ya think?

3BAC2314-B642-4AB1-96B8-F7C1F91DB123_zpsmmts6ucf.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Have you not read anything in the firearms press on this or any other topic you've chosen to argue with me about?

Not once I've seen in the news about it so why don't you give me a citation.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    1516859690_932029d670.jpg
    Jermanator wrote: »
    1516859690_932029d670.jpg

Waistcoat.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,105 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Waistcoat.

Nope. Liposuction!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Not once I've seen in the news about it so why don't you give me a citation.

Sigh. Here. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/07/man-photographing-schools-and-carrying-bb-gun-shot-and-killed-by-illinois-police.html

Called in as "suspicious" in part because of the "tactical vest" he was wearing.

Now I'll wait for you to argue with me on this.

NRA Endowment Member
    :popcorn:

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Dont-Feed-The-Trolls-Meme-14.jpg

Notice the "outside the vest" shoulder rigs?
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite