Vest

2»

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I know, I know...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Sigh. Here. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/07/man-photographing-schools-and-carrying-bb-gun-shot-and-killed-by-illinois-police.html

Called in as "suspicious" in part because of the "tactical vest" he was wearing.

Now I'll wait for you to argue with me on this.

Shirley you jest. :spittingcoffee:

No argument here. :roll:
    Just the first of many from my search. But I guarantee if I had been photographing a school in one of my good suits, no one would have noticed.

Anyway, I'm done with this. I offered my opinion and got **** on for it. Not the first time, won't be the last.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    No you did not get **** on. You made a point that's not relevant. I asked you if you have a citation where a person was targeted because of his vest.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Smiley wrote: »
    No you did not get **** on. You made a point that's not relevant. I asked you if you have a citation where a person was targeted because of his vest.
    :that:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    I was referring to the previous response. And the point I made *was* relevant; a question was asked about CCW vests and I offered my perspective, which was **** upon.

Why don't *you* provide the rest of us with case studies where a CCW/511/fishing/photo vest was applauded as a concealment garment by a professional trainer?

NRA Endowment Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    Does Chuck Taylor count? I can say he applauds them. Says he's operated in the military with them on and never been "made."

As a US military member, he shouldn't be operating in the US, posse commitatus and all, but that's beside the point. Or maybe it is. Taylor's kinda... squirrely in my opinion.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Not just your opinion. And we're talking civilians here. In public. Without special boots to climb up walls like he has.

NRA Endowment Member
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Does Chuck Taylor count? I can say he applauds them. Says he's operated in the military with them on and never been "made."

As a US military member, he shouldn't be operating in the US, posse commitatus and all, but that's beside the point. Or maybe it is. Taylor's kinda... squirrely in my opinion.

Maybe he thinks he was never made. Anyone that carries or has any situational awareness would "make" him. How does he know he was never made? I see a guy out in a vest I assume he has a gun. I don't go up to everyone I make and say "hey I know you have a gun."

As to the OP I don't wear them so I can not recommend one. I would caution that people in the know will know. The purpose is concealment, and I think a vest screams I got a gun.

No smiley I can not site a 10 year study on the outing of vest wearers. I can just tell you how I perceive those that wear vests. If I were inclined to illicit behavior, which I am not, I would shoot everyone with vests first. Take it as you will.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    That's understood but realize this, We can perceive them as CCs but what about the average Joes and Janes? Do they care or bother to notice? Even most baddies are idiots.

As CC was getting more popular it could be anyone, not just those in vests. The baddies got more to worry about than just vests if they know how to think.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,205 Senior Member
    baddies

Uh oh....Where have I heard that term before.....Hmmmmmm
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    .....Hmmmmmm

“Come, Watson, come!' he cried. 'The game is afoot............."

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    Hey, if lots of folks wear vests in the places you frequent, the 'sore weiner' aspect will be lots less evident than it would be for others. Even less so during cooler weather. If you like the idea, go for it.

Post pics, mmmk?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Uh oh....Where have I heard that term before.....Hmmmmmm

Mmm-hmmm...

NRA Endowment Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Don't disturb the leopard while he's trying to rub his spots off!
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    Heavy weight denim jacket (Wrangler, Lee, etc) with inside front pockets on left and right. Pistol holster clipped on left pocket and reload mags in right pocket to make it hang straight. Heavy denim doesn't print unless you bought it too small and have to inhale to button it. Denim jackets aren't tacticool, though.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Heavy weight denim jacket (Wrangler, Lee, etc) with inside front pockets on left and right.

Cut the sleeves off and you've got a redneck 5-1-1 vest! Add a do-rag and some calf-high boots and you can masquerade as an outlaw biker- - - - -those guys would NEVER go armed, right?
    :guns:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    Even most baddies are idiots.

Making assumptions and playing the odds is not the safest way to live life. There have been quite a few innocent people that assumed they were safe in a "gun free zone" but yet were murdered by an "idiot". The only way to accurately determine how a "baddie" select's their victims would be to interview several of them and correlate the data. That has never happened so it is safer to err on the side of caution and avoid drawing attention to oneself. Even without a library of articles and data compiled, it's safe to assume that a harmless looking person will have a better chance of escaping the attention of a "baddie" over someone in a vest, camo, or clothing with some paramilitary or firearms related slogan in a group crime setting.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    This...tactical vests just scream "I'm packin"....

Yep........the only way around it is to have a lot of camera gear hanging around your neck and people will think you're a photographer...........that's carrying a gun.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member

He's not in the military, but he may train military people. He's a Viet Nam vet and way too old for that sort of thing. He's probably my age.

Chuck Taylor is a great instructor. He was down in Athens about 30 years ago teaching a class and I was a student. Very affirming and careful. Some of his writing does tend to be a bit "squirrely", whatever that means, but he's not like that in person at all.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,865 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    He was down in Athens about 30 years ago...

Wait for it...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    He's not in the military, but he may train military people. He's a Viet Nam vet and way too old for that sort of thing. He's probably my age.

Chuck Taylor is a great instructor. He was down in Athens about 30 years ago teaching a class and I was a student. Very affirming and careful. Some of his writing does tend to be a bit "squirrely", whatever that means, but he's not like that in person at all.
    Interesting. Reading some of his writing, I got the impression he was using the vest while working in the military, and portrayed it as being more recent. Maybe I misunderstood, but maybe it wasn't as well-written as it could be. Some of his writing seems to be more on the aggressive side. Which may not exactly be the best course of advice for civilians. Aggression is good, but pressing an attack may not be the best policy.

It's a point you once made about IDPA. I didn't believe it at the time, but upon introspection, you're right.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I live in Wyoming and vest are worn by a lot of the ranches and ranch hands and anybody that dresses western. I know about different vest and have noy found one that hang bad and that was what I was trying to see if anyone had come across a vest that had less pockets and would not hand so bad,
    Thanks for all the input.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    I use this one in cool weather. Mine is the brown one. Looks just like a Carhart vest, which really doesn't stand out around here and with the way I dress. Only thing I don't like about mine is when carrying a full size gun like my Kimber, if I bend over to pick something up, the gun kinda makes the vest hang down. Not a big deal and the gun stays put, but it just feels like it could be obvious that there's something heavy in my vest. I tend to kneel down as opposed to bending over anyway, so it's not a problem.....

http://us.kakaduaustralia.com/pages/gunn-worn-how-it-works
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    I use this one in cool weather. Mine is the brown one. Looks just like a Carhart vest, which really doesn't stand out around here and with the way I dress. Only thing I don't like about mine is when carrying a full size gun like my Kimber, if I bend over to pick something up, the gun kinda makes the vest hang down. Not a big deal and the gun stays put, but it just feels like it could be obvious that there's something heavy in my vest. I tend to kneel down as opposed to bending over anyway, so it's not a problem.....

http://us.kakaduaustralia.com/pages/gunn-worn-how-it-works

That looks like a great product. Wish they had it in tall sizes.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You'd look HAWT in that vest. Just Sayin.
    large-36238-Cowboy-Village-People-Disfraz.jpg
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I'm carrying a Colt Defender 9 MM
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,469 Senior Member
    http://www.wyomingtraders.com/mens-jackets-vests/ This is the brand I have and around here nobody would think twice about me wearing it. I still wear the vest but I don't carry in it, too much weight on one side and I can't get the gun to stay put in or out of a holster but it might depend on the gun. I was disappointed.