Got an invitation

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 229 Member
Hi all!

Just wanted to share my joy. Yesterday I heard from my father that his deer/moose hunting club invites me to participate next Sunday to their dog driven white tail deer hunt!

It was just a possibilty just as moose hunt with them at some point, but now it's turning to reality. I'm so exited. This might be the start for the long road to become a member of that club!
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Great news!
    May the gods of hunting smile down on you next sunday.
    Look forward to the hunting report.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,353 Senior Member
    Fantastic news, it's always great to get an invite which gets your foot in the door which may lead to to your own spot on the lease! When you get out there work hard and do the grunt work and show them you want to be there!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Membership has its privileges.:cool:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,520 Senior Member
    Way cool! Skol!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    I was a guest for a weekend at a nice hunting club, when I was a teenager. It was great - the young guys did all of the work (wood cutting/hauling, etc. and the old guys did all of the cooking. Great food, chili and stew in an electric roaster 24/7 and a roaring fire in a huge fireplace, nice place to sleep, and of course good hunting. It was too expensive for me to join, but I had a good weekend.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    Great news, good luck, hope you get a nice buck.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    Well here I sit waiting to see if I have a place to hunt this year. And if I do, I have to come up with $1000 real fast. I have been putting off going out and working on the place until I know I'll be hunting there. If not, I'll be going out and collecting my stuff.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    Good luck with that.
    This message has been deleted
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    White Tail Deer.....

Are these deer a native of Finland? Or are they possibly our native White Tail that was introduced to your Country?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    Congrats on the invite. Best of luck on the hunt
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    White Tail Deer.....

Are these deer a native of Finland? Or are they possibly our native White Tail that was introduced to your Country?

They are from the deers that came to Finland from Minnesota 8th of September 1934. They were a gift from the Finnish people who had moved to US. Now we have around 30 thousand of them.
    -William Blake-
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Minnesota Whitetails are among the largest, physically, of the Whitetails here in the States. Moving them even farther north as they were in sending them to Finland would probably increase the body weight somewhat especially over a 70+ year period. In running these deer with dogs you will find that long distance straight runs are common. I've seen male Whitetails run 6-7 miles virtually in a straight line, and this is unusual when you take into consideration that the normal range of a mature Whitetail is usually no more than 1 or 2 square miles.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    Minnesota Whitetails are among the largest, physically, of the Whitetails here in the States. Moving them even farther north as they were in sending them to Finland would probably increase the body weight somewhat especially over a 70+ year period. In running these deer with dogs you will find that long distance straight runs are common. I've seen male Whitetails run 6-7 miles virtually in a straight line, and this is unusual when you take into consideration that the normal range of a mature Whitetail is usually no more than 1 or 2 square miles.

We are limited to use only small, height under 11 inches, dogs for the driven hunts with deers. So the most often dogs used are dachshunds.
    -William Blake-
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    The short legged dogs make sense, they don't run the deer too fast or stress them. I have some friends in North Florida that use 11" beagles for the same reason. Keep yer powder dry.......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO