Home Main Category Personal Defense

Short Barrel 9mm......What load for carry?

scarfacescarface MemberPosts: 263 Member
I have a Glock 26 on order from the LGS and I am shopping for ammo. In my Glock 17/19 I have been using Speer Gold Dot 147 grain exclusively. Nowadays, I have been having a hard time finding this specific load in 50 round boxes, and I am considering switching to a new load.

The two loads I am looking at are the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P and Winchester Ranger 147 grain. What load would function best in a short barrel 9mm? My guess is the 124 grain +P and I just wanted to get some of your opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    I'm guessing the lighter bullet would give the better performance. Shorter barrel will likely sap some velocity (although many SD loads these days take the pocket-gun craze into account and make ammo that performs well from the short barrels). The lighter bullet would be quicker to get up to near-full speed than the heavier pill with more inertia to overcome.

Of course, you'd be best served by buying a box of each, verifying reliability, accuracy (at least to point of aim, if not competition-grade), and comfort level for the shooter. But that's the fun part, right?
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    I was thinking that lighter would be better for a short barrel 9mm. I am in the process of buying 9mm in bulk for SD and carry. Right now I have been using the Speer Gold Dot 147 grain in my Glock 19 and 17, but that specific load has been hard to find in bulk lately. That is why I am switching to either the Speer 124 grain +P or Winchester 147 grain.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    These are what I load in my wife's Kahr PM-9

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-speer-le-gold-dot-115gr-hp-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo
    this is what one recovered from wet newsprint from the PM-9 looked like
    Kahr5.jpg
    The other bullet is a WWB 147 JHP also shot from the PM-9

Edited to add: If you'll notice, that 50ct box is only 3-4 dollars more than the 20 round boxes
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    Knitepoet,

I was hoping you would chime in! Thank you for the info and as always your bullet pics are appreciated.
    Glad I could help :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,927 Senior Member
    I would suggest some Hornady Critical Defense, try it for accuracy first of course.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    scarface wrote: »
    Knitepoet,

I was hoping you would chime in! Thank you for the info and as always your bullet pics are appreciated.
    Forgot that I have tested the 147 SXT bullets as well, this is from a Glock 19 though

9mmWinSXT.jpg

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr Short Barrel Ammo would be my first look. I have never used it but I do like Gold Dots.

Now for the general disclaimer ... use what works most reliably in your weapon (hopefully 100% when tested). If you do your job any of the rounds from a reputable manufacturer will do theirs.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    These are what I load in my wife's Kahr PM-9

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-speer-le-gold-dot-115gr-hp-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo
    this is what one recovered from wet newsprint from the PM-9 looked like
    Kahr5.jpg
    The other bullet is a WWB 147 JHP also shot from the PM-9

Edited to add: If you'll notice, that 50ct box is only 3-4 dollars more than the 20 round boxes

At today's ridiculous prices for premium defense ammo, the Winchester White Box looks PLENTY good to me.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    I also own a g19 and a 26 that is my main carry gun and shoot whatever, i have a friend thats a detective he carries a 26 with dept. issue 147 and has qualified with it no problem.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    They ALL will fucntion reliably in your weapon! Don't worry about it!

As for the Winchester Ranger ammo, here is a fact.

I took a box of 40 S&W "Ranger" ammo to the range a couple of years ago. A box leftover from my LE days. I ran all 50 rounds across my chronagraph and found that the whole box averaged a SD (standard deviation) of 9!!!!!!!

Never seen such consistency with any load whether rifle or pistol.

From a SD position this doesn't mean much, but just find a load that you shoot accurately with and you're "good to go."
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »

I took a box of 40 S&W "Ranger" ammo to the range a couple of years ago. A box leftover from my LE days. I ran all 50 rounds across my chronagraph and found that the whole box averaged a SD (standard deviation) of 9!!!!!!!
    Never seen such consistency with any load whether rifle or pistol.

"
    Was it the 165 gr. or the 180 gr.?
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!