Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Flag stomping teacher suspended

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 11,592 Senior Member
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/09/21/flag-stomping-teacher-has-no-regrets-wants-student-punished.html

Not sure what this idiot was thinking, but desecrating the flag of our nation is not the way to teach about 1st amendment rights.

I kind of like how the article closes myself, Although I believe he should have been fired not suspended. Him saying the kid that took the picture should be punished because taking the picture was against the rules, what a loser.

What the teacher did is a punishable offense: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700, just maybe he should be made an example of ?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,469 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Him saying the kid that took the picture should be punished because taking the picture was against the rules, what a loser.
    VERY typical of the school administrator mindset.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/09/21/flag-stomping-teacher-has-no-regrets-wants-student-punished.html

Not sure what this idiot was thinking, but desecrating the flag of our nation is not the way to teach about 1st amendment rights.

I kind of like how the article closes myself, Although I believe he should have been fired not suspended. Him saying the kid that took the picture should be punished because taking the picture was against the rules, what a loser.

The kid that took the picture and posting it was exercising HIS freedom of speech. Teacher had NO expectation of privacy in a classroom setting like that. Teacher seems to think that freedom of speech is a one way street that only applies to him. Students should have swarmed him and given him a 'come to Jesus' beating and then have the teacher charged with inciting a riot.

What the teacher did is a punishable offense: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700, just maybe he should be made an example of ?

That law on flag desecration was struck down by the Supreme Court, if I remember it correctly. That's why so many people have stomped on, burned, and wiped their butts with it with impunity.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,528 Senior Member

This has not been the case since 1969 when SCOTUS declared flag desecration protected under the First Amendment...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,592 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This has not been the case since 1969 when SCOTUS declared flag desecration protected under the First Amendment...

Well darn it they need to not be PC and change it back
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A teacher who pulled a stunt like that around our neighborhood would have a hard time driving home on four flat tires, and there would be a moving van parked in front of his house within days. Continuing to live in the community would be a definite health risk!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

That was actually 1989

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989)

A bunch of hippies and whackos protesting Reagan's economic policies got out of hand and Johnson lit the flag up. I think he was actually put in jail for awhile until the lawyers and leftist got involved. This is what happenes when you have a left leaning SCOTUS. So if Hillary gets elected we'll get to see this kind of crap forever.

However, there is still sentiment towards passage of an amendment to protect the flag. Some things ought to be held sacred.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    That was actually 1989

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989)

A bunch of hippies and whackos protesting Reagan's economic policies got out of hand and Johnson lit the flag up. I think he was actually put in jail for awhile until the lawyers and leftist got involved. This is what happenes when you have a left leaning SCOTUS. So if Hillary gets elected we'll get to see this kind of crap forever.

However, there is still sentiment towards passage of an amendment to protect the flag. Some things ought to be held sacred.

Don't need an amendment. Just need some people willing to beat the snot out of the flag burner/stomper with a lawyer on speed dial to use the 'incitement to riot' for their defense. Inciting a riot is illegal. Enough people get the crap stomped out of them for doing it, and it would become less popular as a means of protest.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Was it Alabama or Mississippi that passed a law sometime back that set a maximum fine for assaulting a flag burner? I think it was something like $50.00, with no jail time possible.
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,983 Senior Member
    I'm sorry but I'm old school, for me its an act of treason and should be followed by a hanging or firing squad.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,592 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I'm old school, for me its an act of treason and should be followed by a hanging or firing squad.

JAY

I knew I like you Jay :guns:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The area this occurred in has almost polar opposites in the military families and the democratic leaning urban population. The leadership is leans more to the left from the mayor to the city council and sheriff to county commissioners ... along with school board. While we are outraged at this the local government(s) I think will bow to the teacher and this thing will flip. It would not surprise me for the teacher to be reinstated with little or no reprimand, the student taking the photo will be disciplined for using a cellphone in school, the student who rescued the flag and left might get a little slap ... but I do not expect the liberal a-holes running that school and the system to stand up for our Stars and Stripes. They are liberals trained and indoctrinated by the institutions of higher liberal leanings.

This is a cancer in today's educational structure from kindergarten thru college. Kids no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance, are allowed to pray before a sporting event unless it is by oneself, etc ... don't even get me start though on the school's right to interfere in the home life safety of a student that administrators think might be in danger because they run a piece of farm equipment, hunting related activities, etc.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell