Home Main Category Clubhouse

My Grits and Cornmeal Went To Cuba!

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
Local chef teaching in a technical school called me a month or so back and asked me to donate 10 pounds each of grits and cornmeal for her classes. I donate like this along and along, so naturally I said "come and get what you want". She did, and unknown to me took it to Cuba where she instructed for 2 weeks in a culinary school in Havana. She saw my wife in the grocery store this evening, and asked her to tell me that she had taken what I donated to Cuba, that her classes there had no idea what grits and cornbread was but raved over what she cooked! Maybe it's time that I expanded my products into the overseas market! Bet I could get at least 8...maybe 10 cents a pound for it down there :jester:

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Bet I could do some really profitable horsetrading for some good cigars down there :jester:

Fixed it for ya!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,626 Senior Member
    After eating Communist grits, now they'll get a taste of freedom with good old American grits.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Eatin' them grits and corn pone is liable to fire them up and cause them to throw the Castro brothers and their minions off the island! :roll2: The more folk that get a taste of heirloom corn varieties, the more they'll want/demand them. You might have to hire on staff to meet the demand! :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I'm fast approaching that point, Mike! It's working the fool out of me. Didn't realize what work was 'till I retired and started up this grinding business....which was triggered purely by accident!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    I'm fast approaching that point, Mike! It's working the fool out of me. Didn't realize what work was 'till I retired and started up this grinding business....which was triggered purely by accident!

You built a better mousetrap. The world is beating on your door now! :roll2:
    Seriously, you're providing a product now that us older fellers and gals grew up on. Folks that taste the difference between what you're providing and what is in the supermarkets, and there's no contest as to which one they want.
    Same as the sorgum and molasses you get at the supermarket and what you get that is locally produced. There's a distinct difference in taste and consistency of the locally produced stuff.

You're producing 'boutique' quality stuff and people got hooked on it!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Grits/corn meal invasion instead of the Bay of Pigs.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Been about a month ago now. . .

I heard a radio commercial for Western Union saying that it's now possible to wire money to friends and relatives in Cuba. Threw this 1971-vintage, Cold War kid for a bit of a loop.:silly:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee