Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger Introduces new Mark IV Pistol...

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,742 Senior Member
...with a new easy takedown/field strip feature. It also looks like they eliminated the loaded chamber indicator.

I must say, Ruger has done an outstanding job lately listening to their customer base and figuring out what buyers want. One of these may find its way cozied up next to my "Ruger Standard Model" and my 22/45 Mark III Target.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/22/ruger-introduces-one-button-takedown-mark-iv-pistol/#.V-UIstvdG3g.facebook

rugermkiv_8.jpg
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey cool............good on Ruger. Sometimes getting a MKI/II and MKIII back together can be a PITA with the Hangy Down Part/Hook cause you will know real fast if you got it wrong and the bolt will not retract!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    After 60+years they finally figured out it was a PITA to re-assemble!! Didn't take me that long to figure it out.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    If you want a real challenge, try to assemble a Nylon 66.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    I hunted long and hard for my MKII. PITA on reassemble, but everything else is great.
    Support your local Scouts!
    Gene L wrote: »

I have a Nylon 66 that belonged to my Momma..............I haven't ventured into taking it apart yet.........probably won't. I need to take it out and shoot it and verify all is good. My youngest daughter wants it and used to shoot it up on Sand Mtn ALA where my folks lived.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,463 Senior Member
    Everybody gripes about now difficult it is to disassemble and reassemble the MKI,II, and III. Well, I say, quit ur bitchin' and get familiar with your handgun! It's not that hard if you just practice a little and learn its tricks and quirks. That for me is why we own these silly things. Every gun is different it would be way too dull if they all were the same. I actually got college credit for shooting and cleaning a Ruger MKII gov't target with the Army ROTC. I wasn't in ROTC but at UW you could take any of their classes as part of your major if they fit. Well, didn't fit my major but it did qualify as a physical ed credit. I took Pistol Marksmanship I and II each class was a half a semester long. I shot something stupid like 25000 rounds in those classes. You get good at field stripping and cleaning those pistols with an Army Master sergeant is watching closely. Oh and I was the only non-army student. That made it interesting for sure. Some of the military formalities I got a pass on some I most definitely did not. Mostly I wasn't expected to wear a uniform, but it wasn't a good idea to show up in shorts an a Hawaiian shirt in mid November in Wyoming! That was a cold run around the building!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    Just watched the Plinkster review video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE

Nice upgrade for those who feel the MkIII features don't do the job for them. Although I also think the taking apart process is a PITA, mine (Blued MkIII Target) is not being disassembled as often as to become an issue big enough to justify a Mk IV. Loaded chamber indicator, non-ejecting magazine, controls layout and magazine safety (No reference about this particular feature in the new model) doesn't bother me either at all, and with the Volquartsen sear replacing the original one, trigger has become exactly what I was looking for.

Excellent development anyway; hope they sell a trainload of them....Ruger is truly working to please its customers lately. Looking forward to see them down here as soon as possible.
    Gene L wrote: »

....or the "guts" of the trigger assembly of a J.C. Higgins 31; stupid pins, levers and springs that will break just by looking and them and need a 3rd. hand to put them together....under a microscope! :angry:

Next time will use WD-40, a toothbrush and compressed air to remove all the grit, but take it apart....never!
    I own a Ruger MKII Tgt Govt great shooter and very accurate pistol.

Yes, you can learn to assemble/disassemble one, but the first time on a MKII I'll never forget and I was just reading the owners manual or trying from memory since the last time..........no body around to teach/show me, except me.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,463 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I own a Ruger MKII Tgt Govt great shooter and very accurate pistol.

Yes, you can learn to assemble/disassemble one, but the first time on a MKII I'll never forget and I was just reading the owners manual or trying from memory since the last time..........no body around to teach/show me, except me.
    Ok I'll give you that.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I did take a SS MKII bull bbl one apart way way down to anything I could get apart years ago and my friend and gunsmith cussed me because it was a challenge even to him...........I bought it to him in a gallon Zip-Loc baggie.

Humpty Dumpty after I got carried away..............but it was put back together again.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    After 60+years they finally figured out it was a PITA to re-assemble!! Didn't take me that long to figure it out.

Me either. I sold mine and bought a S&W Victory
    Sometimes the bbl/receiver gets a little loose on the grip frame...........I wonder if this new version corrects that???? I had a gunsmith tighten it years ago, but their is a little lateral movement if I twist the bbl left to right........doesn't seem to effect the accuracy though.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I dont like to take my MKII apart and I avoid it.

Im so glad I admitted that.

I feel better now.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    It's not that hard if you just practice a little and learn its tricks and quirks.

WORD.

I hope they make a blued, tapered bbl version.

Its more expensive from what I've seen, having abandoned Bill Ruger's original frame design in favor of a CNC milled version - should be a VERY nice handgun indeed. I'm one of about three people on the planet who actually like the LCI, so there's that!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    The Hunter model looks pretty sweet.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    The Hunter model looks pretty sweet.

Agreed 😸
    I believe that one has been placed at the #3 slot on my shopping list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    The hinge pin and cut out ruin the classic lines of the design = fail :nono:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Great when they come out with a 22/45 version, I'll have another pistol to build.

Plinkster seemed a little giddy about it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I'm no expert Pistolaro dude. But I have enough experience with Ruger to know they are truly inovative in everything they make. They put a lot of thought into their design. The old original 77s were very innovative and well made. I have owned two of them and they have both been great rifles. I also have a 10/22 that turned out to be a great rifle. Ruger! It's what's for the Hunt!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    . . .in the meantime, those of us who learned how MKI's and MkII's fit together and work remain smug in the knowledge that we got into ours before the lawyers got into the rest.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Why couldn't they have just licensed Ron Power's kit and included that in the design moving forward?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    The hinge pin and cut out ruin the classic lines of the design = fail :nono:

Agree.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    When the Mk IV incorporates the Luger profile grip and barrel, call me.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    I don't have a problem with the hinge pin, I think its a fine looking pistol. I'm not quite so sure about the aluminum frame on the blued version, and I hope they continue the tapered bbl ("Standard") version. But I think they got more right than wrong on this iteration, and the continuation of the mag disconnect will be fixed by the aftermarket if existing parts won't fit already. If it had been available when I purchased my Mk III, I would have bought one in a heartbeat - but now that I know how to deal with the Mk III's quirks, there's no especial need to upgrade. My III is dialed in to what I want, so it's not going anywhere - although I'd like someone to produce a Mk IV style bolt release lever, the MK III style is NOT comfortable to use. Hmmmm - maybe I need to look at doing some fabrication...

OTOH, I don't see a need for a 22/45 version, esp what with the aluminum frame's availability. The 22/45 was more of an answer in search of a question as far as I'm concerned, but I'm partial to the Luger/Nambu ergonomics.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    . . .in the meantime, those of us who learned how MKI's and MkII's fit together and work remain smug in the knowledge that we got into ours before the lawyers got into the rest.
    Meh. I'll use a Colt Woodsman Match Target. It's got its quirks, but I've taken it apart and put it back together. Even got the recoil spring into place after it popped out. THAT is a fun proposition. I have no experience with the Rugers, but I can say that for workmanship and a manual of arms that mimics a 1911 other than having an external hammer... I like the Colt.

The Rugers appeal to me as a more reasonably-priced alternative.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    I got the chance to play with one a little bit. I like the simplicity of it.

With the number of new shooters buying .22's again with ammo being available again, I think Ruger had to simplify their MK line. A lot of shooters don't want to learn a complicated gun just to take it apart.
    Local importer spoke with Ruger about incoming lot of firearms including some MkIIIs; according to them, if you want a brand-new one, now is the time since they're dumping the model in favor of the MkIV (No "fade away" product swap); don't know if it's true or an old compulsive purchase technique but sounds logical.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Fixed it for ya! :tooth:

Perhaps, but the MK line was losing sales to the Victory and others. That and with the .22 ammo crunch I'm guessing they had to do something to boost numbers.

To me, since they were making a radical change anyway, they could have at least put the serial number on the frame so it would be easier to put a lighter barrel on it.