Home Main Category General Firearms

Reloading question

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
I've measured 5.56 casings and some .308 casings and they all seem to be within the casing length in the Hornady reloading manual. A friend trims EVERY case, regardless of caliber. How important is it to trim every time you reload rifle casings. Especially factory ammo after first time usage???

Thanks,
Patrick

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    If they're within allowable tolerances, don't worry about it. I'd only trim them if:
    They're too long
    They're varying lengths and you're going to crimp them: equal lengths lead to equal crimp with means better accuracy potential.
    If you think the case mouths aren't square.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    If the necks are too long they can jam in the chamber throat. I trim to below book max length and try to have all the cases close to the same length.
    I think its pretty important.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,030 Senior Member
    Over the years I've checked the chamber length on probably a dozen factory rifles. Not a one was remotely close to "trim-to" length. I trim all new cases just to square them up, and never again. And I've got cases I've fired dozens of times. I hate trimming cases, and normally it's an unnecessary step.

Never would I consider trimming after every firing.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Over the years I've checked the chamber length on probably a dozen factory rifles. Not a one was remotely close to "trim-to" length. I trim all new cases just to square them up, and never again. And I've got cases I've fired dozens of times. I hate trimming cases, and normally it's an unnecessary step.

Never would I consider trimming after every firing.

Mike
    Gospel
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Thanks gentlemen. Friend trims every time...I couldn't find one in a hundred of recently fired factory new .308 or 30-30 casings that needed trimming. Just reloading for range time anyway. Maybe a few (50) for hunting but mostly range time.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    I trim new rifle brass to make sure the mouth is square, then never again.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

pjames777 wrote: »
    I couldn't find one in a hundred of recently fired factory new .308 or 30-30 casings that needed trimming. .

To expound on that, even if you found one .020" longer than "trim-to" length, I doubt you'd have a problem. I had one of my pdog rigs rebarreled and told the very competent 'smith that I wanted a tight chamber. I would still have to be.017" over"trim-to" length before I noticed a difference upon bolt closure. If a factory chamber, It would be an anomaly if you ever stretched a case to actual max length.

Mike
    N454casull
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I usually just trim or square up the mouth after the first firing, the only cartridges that constant attention were any H&H cases , the 300 H&H was really bad.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I trim new rifle brass to make sure the mouth is square, then never again.[/QUOT

:agree:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    And of course, I have to be different.

I trim, deburr and chamfer my match ammo for each and every loading. It's fast and easy. I can process a box of 100 cases in about 5 minutes.

I want all my cases to be the same and yes, I anneal every loading also and full length resize.
    I'd wager you're loading for something other than a factory chamber, and for more specific uses than plinking or the blood sports.

Of course, just a WAG on my part.��
    N454casull
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Or just wanting to brag, maybe?
    :roll:
    Jerry
    I'd wager you're loading for something other than a factory chamber, and for more specific uses than plinking or the blood sports.

Of course, just a WAG on my part.��

And a very good WAG, it was.

I did specify "match ammo."
    Teach wrote: »
    Or just wanting to brag, maybe?
    :roll:
    Jerry

No, I leave that to you; you excel at that.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    And of course, I have to be different.

I trim, deburr and chamfer my match ammo for each and every loading. It's fast and easy. I can process a box of 100 cases in about 5 minutes.

I want all my cases to be the same and yes, I anneal every loading also and full length resize.

Yes but your a competition shooter, I have been fortunate to have known several "world class shooters" and a lot of them have told me they do the same thing.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Pegasus wrote: »
    And a very good WAG, it was.

I did specify "match ammo."

And I specified "factory chamber". We could split hairs all night, but I won't. Punching paper in F-class doesn't impress me that much.

Mike
    N454casull
    And I specified "factory chamber". We could split hairs all night, but I won't. Punching paper in F-class doesn't impress me that much.

Mike
    No reason why it should, after all, it's just another shooting discipline. But I don't see why you think we're splitting hairs, you were absolutely right from the get go and I was complimenting you on that. I was also pointing out that I was being totally upfront about my needs to trim every loading.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I measure after I deprime and sort them. They can strech depriming them I've found. Trim and no trim. For .223, above nominal of 1.76, I trim. The rest I chamfer and swage or resize the primer pockets. I got a Lyman case prep station and it works well.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    I measure 308, 223, cases used for "March ammo".
    I will freely admit it has 5 years since I've competed but I see no reason to change old practices.

Don't trim unless maximum is exceeded.

My Palma &AR service rifles have std. SAMMI chambers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: