Home Main Category Clubhouse

Bass Pro shops to purchase Cableas

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
I just saw a quick news headline that Cabelas and Goldman Sachs are finalizing the sale to Bass Pro shops. In the short term this is going to benefit us big time as they sell off all of their cabelas branded equipment and clothing. I have to say I'm not a huge Bass Pro person as I prefer Cabelas. Having said that I will take advantage of the up coming sales that will come when the sale is finalized.

Anyone have any additional info?
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,004 Senior Member
    I used to buy Cabela's all the time. Then, they opened a store in my state and wanted to charge me sales tax AND shipping.

Nope. Move along.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I don't know what to think about that. Way back when, around 25 years ago before the internet, I bought tons of hunting stuff from Cabela's because they had the best prices on the things that I wanted. Over the years, they became the most expensive place to get hunting stuff from. Either BPS's prices will go up or Cabela's prices might go down.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I used to buy Cabela's all the time. Then, they opened a store in my state and wanted to charge me sales tax AND shipping.

Nope. Move along.

Yep, a lot of places hit you for taxes if a warehouse or store is where they ship it from in your state...even lots of stuff on Amazon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I cant help but wonder about those of us that use a Cabelas credit card and have accumulated lots of points ??

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Don't care much for ProbAss!!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,039 Senior Member
    I'm not liking this......

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike

Agreed
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Wish it was the other way around......
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Cabelas had become expensive over a long length of time. BassPro is similar.

To see the ads, one's purse can effect all that's needed to become somebody's oddball vision of a hunter/outdoorsman/backwoods supetstar etc..

Its all become a bit much.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member

Mike

Me either
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    Wish it was the other way around......

Me too! Just not a fan of Bass Pro shop!

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,004 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Me too! Just not a fan of Bass Pro shop!

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I just saw a quick news headline that Cabelas and Goldman Sachs are finalizing the sale to Bass Pro shops. In the short term this is going to benefit us big time as they sell off all of their cabelas branded equipment and clothing. I have to say I'm not a huge Bass Pro person as I prefer Cabelas. Having said that I will take advantage of the up coming sales that will come when the sale is finalized.

Anyone have any additional info?
    Not me Bro! I'm following your lead, just keep me informed.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I have never set foot in either, although I have always intended to look around in one. I have ordered from Cabela's a couple times, but was not impressed with their prices or shipping procedures. Academy Sports is the best big box store in my neighborhood. They are somewhat responsive to market demand, and much cheaper than Gander Mountain on most items.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    No Cabela's close to me. Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and Sportsmans Warehouse are the only big box sporting goods stores in decent driving range. When I figure in gas money there and back it's cheaper to just order online, except for Sportsmans Warehouse. I like to go there and see what they have when I'm in the Chattanooga vicinity.

I got a feeling that with the merger, prices will probably go up due to the lack of competition.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I wonder if they will keep the Cabela's name? Makes more sense than rebranding 82 stores.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    AH, but Bass Pro has the cool outdoorsy waterfall/rocks outside and fishin displays inside?????
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I've spent a LOT of time in both and quite frankly if I walked into one of the other after being blindfolded before I entered so I could not see the name outside, I don't know that I could tell the difference anymore...

Bass Pro is a fishing megastore with a hunting/ shooting section tacked on.

Cabelas is a Hunting/ Shooting megastore with a fishing section tacked on.

I have a Cabelas about 10 minutes from my house, and a Bass Pro about 45 minutes from my house. I prefer Cabelas, even though my kid loves the bowling ally inside Bass Pro.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Big Chief wrote: »
    AH, but Bass Pro has the cool outdoorsy waterfall/rocks outside and fishin displays inside?????

Ad Cabelas has the cool mountain with stuffed game animals inside. and an Aquarium.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    I like walk through, but neither of those has ever gotten much of my money. Prices are usually competitive on accessory stuff, but they seem higher on the 'big ticket' items like guns, etc.

It costs a metric butt ton of money to put those buildings up, and bunches more to keep 'em staffed and running. That means sales must be brisk and profitable to ensure continued operation. That fact is reflected in prices. Things that are bought in bulk give greater leeway in how they are marketed. The 'big box' theory works for some things, and not so much for others.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    This sucks IMO. I think Bass Pro is more expensive, at least for the things I buy at cabelas. I use a lot of Xtreme plated bullets and when on sale at cabelas, it's cheaper or as cheap then buying direct from the website. S&B primers go on sale there a lot for 18.00/1000, best price on primers I can find. Nearest BP is Nashville and the times I've been in it, I walked out empty handed, just to expensive.

I get lots of minimags from cabelas since they seem to have them more then anyone, I hope that doesn't change.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member

Mike
    Don't like it either.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    When we travel through CPJ's hometown we usually stop at basspro but have bought more at their outlet store, sometimes you can find decent deals there and I like their redhead shirts. I am sure it depends but I have found better staff at cabelas. I can't see any benefit of the buyout and potential for less competition.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    Nearest Cabela's is in PA somewhere, but there's a HUGE Bass Pro Shop just this side of Annapolis, about 45 minutes away from me. Store is just over seven acres under one roof. They sell big-ish boats and outboard motors there, as well as all the usual stuff. They used to have an "upmarket" gun department upstairs, but they closed it down after the economy collapsed. At least Cabela's has something similar to that, if not identical. Been dealing with Cabela's since the early '70s; hope they don't change too much, although I too have noticed the ongoing across-the-board price hikes on everything. Bugs me. A lot.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Always found Cabelas to be a place to find GOOD basic stuff. It is expensive, but it is a place where you can find a 0deg sleeping bag for a large guy. BP always seemed like a real expensive outdoor section of Wal Mart.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    Only deals I made with Cabelas was buying their stuff from the web catalog; suddenly they began rejecting my orders despite they were "non-sensitive" items (Rifle slings, gun cleaning supplies, etc.) shipped to an U.S. address because I was using a non-U.S. issued credit card, so that was it with them for me.

In the other hand, did visited the big Dania, FL B.P.S. store and felt like a kid in Disney World; prices were indeed higher than other online vendors, but just walking the store is a real pleasure and their stuff on sale I've found in my visits has been nice, greatly priced and useful. Have yet to visit the other outdoor chain stores like Gardners and such, but so far I consider them a great company.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I placed an order with Cabelas last night, talked at length with the CS rep and she said that she has heard the rumors for almost a year but the company hasn't said anything yet.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    They're all the same to me. Only Cabela's I've ever been in was the one in Denver with MHS and Calebib. Nice gun room.

Other than that, their crap is way too expensive.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    They're all the same to me. Only Cabela's I've ever been in was the one in Denver with MHS and Calebib. Nice gun room.

Other than that, their crap is way too expensive.

The gun room no longer exists. After severe mismanagement, and some outright fraud, all but two gun rooms were shut down years ago. Denver and Springfield were the only exceptions. Earlier this year, the shenanigans finally caught up with the Denver location. Combine that with a ND and some major OSHA fines in the gunsmith shop and the plug was pulled on both it and the Fine Gun Room.

Having worked for Bass Pro, I feel really bad for the Cabela's workers that are going to get the shaft.