Home Main Category General Firearms

What's your favorite .22

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,056 Senior Member
It's a lazy rainy Sunday morning out at the ranch. Was sitting on the front porch enjoying the light rain and cool temps. Decided to do some plinking before the Cowboys come on. It's always a no brainer or me as to which .22 I'm going to grab. I have a 10/22 with a fixed 6X on it and I bet I've shot 5 rounds through it in the last 15 years. Then there's my Savage Model 23 .22 Hornet which is my second all time favorite .22. This was my buddies dad's rifle and every time we'd go shooting I'd always manage to snag and just so happened to have a new box of ammo for it. It's just great fun to shoot. It has a fixed 1960's something Weaver 4X and incredibility holds its zero each time I shoot it. His dad left it to me when he passed. But number one by a land slide is the "Queen B" as I call her. My 1960 Belgium made Browning SA .22. My pops got it for me to celebrate my birth that year. It was a few years before I big enough to shoot it, but it love at first sight!

Folks IMHO this is the sexiest .22 ever made! It's just a dream to shoot. She still shoots and feeds as well today as she did when I was a kid! This was a great light weight rifle to carry in the field squirrel and rabbit hunting and did I mention it's just fun to shoot!

So when it's time to go into your gun safe and pick one, which one is your favorite .22 for plinking and hunting.

queen%20B.gif
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    Those old Brownings have always been beautiful rifles!! I have an old model 60 Glenfield, my first rifle, that was my favorite, but alas, it bit the dust and parts are no longer available. Now my go to favorite in an old 552 Remington Speedmaster. Has to be the best shooting most reliable .22 I've ever owned. It's point and shoot, you just can't miss with it, even with the open sights. It must just fit and point right for me.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    Right now its a Ruger 7722 with a 3 - 9 Leupold Vari X II, very accurate, used it to shoot small bore silhouettes with a 24x Weaver.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 78 Member
    My only .22 rimfire is my 1960 Marlin Mountie. When my eyes were younger it was the bane of Jack Rabbits and prairie dogs back in the Texas Panhandle. Iron sights were zeroed at 250 yards because that's the distance at which a Jack Rabbit would quit circling and sit to see what was happening, which was often a LRHP through the vitals (which on a Jack Rabbit is 90% of them. I did shoot one through the ears once, which was kinda funny.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    One of my 10-22's (my first one) that I bought new in 1977 has put a lot of rabbits and squirrels on the table and has been my favorite .22 for a long time but in the last six or seven years, I've been favoring my Henry .22 lever. The Ruger has been modified a bit over the years and the simplicity of an open sighted lever is therapeutic to me.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    My Nylon 66. It is not my most accurate, most valuable or such but it holds so many memories that it is my favorite.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    One of my 10-22's (my first one) that I bought new in 1977 has put a lot of rabbits and squirrels on the table and has been my favorite .22 for a long time but in the last six or seven years, I've been favoring my Henry .22 lever. The Ruger has been modified a bit over the years and the simplicity of an open sighted lever is therapeutic to me.

I get this totally. I've got a modified 10-22 and it's nice. Got a Cheapo Simmons 3-9x40 on it, but it shoots good enough for me. But for shear comfort and simplicity plus being pretty accurate and a damn good trigger for a store bought right out of the box conditioned 80+ year old rifle, is my Westernfield bolt action 22 that was my maternal grand fathers. It's an old Tubular Magazine bolt gun and it's sweet as sugar. So when I take to the field it's my choice even without a scope.

When I was a kid on my first time ever on a deer hunt, my grand father told me to take his .22 with me. The first morning out my dad knocked down a little 5 point buck and it was still kicking. He told me to finish it off. So I shot it in the ear. Killed it grave yard dead on the spot. That made this gun special for me. And it still is about 58 years later.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    We didn't have guns in the home when I was a kid. Except for my Buffalo Bill BB gun. I did acquire an Win 69a which I dearly loved. I gave it to Jeeper's daughter a couple years ago when she was old enough to have one.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My Ruger American bolt .22 is quickly becoming my go to rifle for range shootin. Marlin model 60 was and still is a great little semi .22
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    singlesix.jpg

A gift from a friend. It was unfired when I acquired it. It didn't remain so. That is 6 rounds at 10 yards off hand.

126_2635.jpg
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    I have to admit that I have two favorites. In 22 caliber, it has to be "Brutus" my Sako barreled 22-250 but my fun to shoot 22LR would have to be my Sako P72. Sweetest, most accurate 22LR I shoot. (I have a couple of others I haven't shot yet so "maybe" this might take second in accuracy for all I know).
    Brutus:
    DSCN1981.jpg
    Sako:
    DSC01047.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    When I was a kid on my first time ever on a deer hunt, my grand father told me to take his .22 with me. The first morning out my dad knocked down a little 5 point buck and it was still kicking. He told me to finish it off. So I shot it in the ear. Killed it grave yard dead on the spot. That made this gun special for me. And it still is about 58 years later.

I totally get this :applause: :applause: My pop and grand pap used to tell me to get my .22 when we'd go deer hunting. I was probably 5 or 6. I was always so excited and thought each time out would be the first deer I'd get. Looking back I stood no chance but the feeling I had carrying my own rifle was euphoric! Every now and then they'd let me shoot at a squirrel or rabbit. As i got bigger I got better at hitting them.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Mine is a Norinco JW15 bolt action. Barrel is longer than most normal .22's and with the suppressor attached is almost long enough to smack on the head any critter within 10'.

I have used it for the last 30-40 yrs for pest destruction and have put tens of thousands of rounds through it. It will shoot better than any .22 that has been put up against it. It even outshoots Bloodhounds BRNO ( The Norinco is a Chinese made copy of the BRNO)

It looks like crap, has a cheap scope on it, has been attached to the quad when I rolled it, has fallen off the bike on numerous occasions. have even caught the barrel on gate posts as I rode the quad into another paddock.

Its ugly, looks cheap, but will shoots the lights out of every other rimfire I have owned.........I have another 8+ .22's in the safe, but when its time to go dancing, she gets the nod........Always!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    MKII Competition Target................

Slabside.jpg~original
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    My Nylon 66. It is not my most accurate, most valuable or such but it holds so many memories that it is my favorite.
    I have one that came in olive drab
    Clean, before she was Clean, dropped it 6 inches on the butt stock
    it broke; temp was below zero some where----
    anyway it was cold.

Rem put a brown stock on it.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    As to the OP
    a single six convertible.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    I have one that came in olive drab
    Clean, before she was Clean, dropped it 6 inches on the butt stock
    it broke; temp was below zero some where----
    anyway it was cold.

Rem put a brown stock on it.

Dang, both of you is hard on guns :yikes: :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Really like all my 22s...10/22, Marlin 60ss, J.C.Higgins, Mossberg, and the pistols...
    As to favorite, depends on what I'm doing. Plinking, 10/22, target, Mossberg or the Higgins. Marlin is the wife's...doesn't see much action.
    Pistol...like them all; DAO SAO and semi...always a good day when popping off some 22s.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    My favorite .22 is the one I'm shooting at the moment. :tooth: Rifle, pistol, bolt, semi auto, pump, lever action, doesn't matter to me. My favorites would be my Nylon 66 as it was the first new gun I ever purchased at the ripe old age of 13 years old, and the second would be my Dad's Marlin bolt action, forget which model it is; it's my second favorite because it was his.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Marlin mod 39a best I can tell from the ser# born in 1954

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I'm kinda particular to my grandfather's pistol....

Woodsman.jpg
    Woodsman Match Target Second Model
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    CZ Ultra Lux 452 with a cheap Tasco 4-16x50mm on it.

Shooting sub MOA @ 100 with it is so common, it is boring
    CZ.jpg

First time I tried it @ 100, right after I got it. Shooting Aguila SE Standard velocity The black dot is 1"
    Aguila100.jpg

10 CCI Velocitors, missed a slight puff of wind on two of them
    10velocitors.jpg

Some folks watched me shoot a sub 1" @ 130 yards at the SE shoot a few years ago
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Can't say my favorite because I don't have a honest-to-god favorite. All my .22s shoot well. An interesting question, but I can't add to the bank of knowledge or even opinion on this one.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Ruger Tgt Govt Model pretty good shooter

[IMG][/img]IMG00032-20110430-1910.jpg

Middle is my oldest .22 a Colt Official Police 3 digit XXX sn# made about 1929 and bottom is 22/32 Kit gun model 63 both good shooters.

Top was a Comanche PO crap the frame cracked on at Jerry's.....

[IMG][/img]marksblackberry140.jpg
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Nice Colt!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    CZ 452 American. Shoots Lapua into 1 hole.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    My favorite is my Single-Six convertible, the favorite in the my house is the Henry Mini-Bolt
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    My favorite: No dought about it, My Marlin 39A. I bought Her NIB in 1963. I have carried Her at least a 100 miles or more while hunting and shot Her at least a zillion times and never ever had any type of problems. And She still shoots and looks as good today as She did, when new. First Gun I bought with my own money. I shot Her last weekend, plinking at the range.
    ken
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Remington Speedmaster Model 552 with 24" barrel.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 355 Member
    Marlin Model 60