Home Main Category General Firearms

Phase two. Paging Teach.

RocketmanRocketman BannedPosts: 1,118 Senior Member
So phase one was asking a bunch of premature questions about the type of action and barrel I should use for my rifle build. I at least got a step closer with this:
IMG_20160927_200029_zpsv2nnhnf7.jpg

Phase two will be asking a ton more stupid questions but hey, its learning...
Seems like a descent rifle, smooth action and the trigger doesn't feel too bad but it ain't stayin. Came with some cheap ass, no name optics but what did I expect for $369. BTW, thanks CPJ for the Walmart recommendation. Its obviously a 700 Remington in 30 06. I'm going to be removing the barrel, but..... after a range day with factory ammo just for kicks. Haven't shot a 30 06 in years. Think it'll be fun to see if this pencil barrel groups worth a damn. And Teach, when next week comes, what's the best way to remove the barrel without gouging it? Also, will I need a new bolt or can this one be modified or I even need modified?

Replies

• RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ummmm, you were going to switch this to a .338 Win mag, right?
    Oh hell, what I do wrong?
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Your life would go much easier if you made it a .338/06. Actually, a 6.5/06 would be badass for a heavy barreled S&G informal long range rifle.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Well hell. Guess I better regroup on what chambering its gonna be. Of course it was a Walmart employee, but he showed me a book that showed the chamberings for the 700. I didnt see any magnums. At least I don't think I did.
    Sonof a.... Who the hell is the 270 Trump guy???? Pretty sure he said an 06 would be perfect. **** to hell.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    You will need a barrel vise with a set of bushings contoured to get a good grip on the barrel. Start with a piece of 2" square aluminum stock a couple of inches long and taper-bore it in a lathe until you get a good match to the chamber shape just ahead of the recoil lug, then once it fits well, cut a wide hacksaw slot in one side so it can be clamped tight to the barrel in a BMF vise or a hydraulic press. Then you'll need an action wrench that clamps tight around the receiver ring just behind the rceoil lug. Make the action wrench out of a piece of 1" X 3" steel stock about 3" long and bore a hole in one end to the size of the receiver diameter, then drill and tap it for a couple of 1/2"-20 X 2" Allen bolts. Then saw the bored end off halfway across the receiver hole. When you tighten up the Allen bolts, they will clamp the receiver tight. Now you need a long piece of 3/4" round stock threaded into the back side of the block to use as a handle. You just made a Remington action wrench. Now if you were working on a real rifle like a Mauser, the action wrench would need to be shaped a little different- - - -like this:

100_5606.JPG

Here's my barrel vise:
    100_5607.JPG

100_56001.JPG

It's also home-brewed. You can get cheap, flimsy shop equipment from Midway, and slightly better, MUCH more expensive stuff from Brownell's. Don't bother- - - - -make your own!
    Jerry
    Snake? Oh dude.
    See my signature.
    :uhm::angry::confused:
    Well noted Jerry and thank you. Apparently they use an ass ton of torque tightening these barrels down? And back to the drawing board on my chambering. Am I pretty much stuck with a chambering ending in 06? **** again...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Here's something that may be handy in the future. Scroll down for the action lengths.

https://support.remington.com/General_Information/Which_calibers_are_long_action_and_which_are_short_action%3F

I think that the long action and the long action magnum are the same length. Problem is you need to open the feed rails, open the bolt face, and change the extractor.

In the end, it would be less work to just swap it to an '06-based cartridge. Or not, I mean you can always do the work. Others have done it....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,463 Senior Member
    Ok so you could still salvage the standard length 700 action. Check out the 375 Ruger. It will fit a standard length action but a mag bolt face, an easy fix for a gunsmith. While he's/she's at it have them install a sako style extractor. Oh I hope your going to have a gunsmith at least supervise.....just sayin'
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I just happen to have a .338-06 chamber reamer, and you wouldn't have to open up the boltface that way. .30-06 headspace gauges work on all the -06 based cartridges, including that "picked-green" .270! Same .338 barrel blank, just no need to have an orthopedic surgeon on speed dial to repair the shoulder damage!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    I just happen to have a .338-06 chamber reamer, and you wouldn't have to open up the boltface that way. .30-06 headspace gauges work on all the -06 based cartridges, including that "picked-green" .270! Same .338 barrel blank, just no need to have an orthopedic surgeon on speed dial to repair the shoulder damage!
    Jerry
    Here is the best advice!
    So is a 338 06 the voters choice here? I know its no thumper like I was looking for and I wouldn't mind hand feeding a 338WM into this action if need be, but it sounds like an added pain in the ass just to make a 338WM work. Can the 338 06 outperform the 30 06 and 308?
    PS. I like oddball stuff.
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Can the 338 06 outperform the 30 06 and 308?
    PS. I like oddball stuff.
    Huh? Are you serious? I think more research would be prudent.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Huh? Are you serious? I think more research would be prudent.
    I own guns but I make rockets. Tell ya enough???
    CPJ. Lmmfao dude :jester: Well done sir, well done.
    I own guns but I make rockets. Tell ya enough???
    I think you would be money ahead to sell off your 300-06 and buy a factory Ruger 375 or 416 Ruger, 375 h&h, factory Ammo is out there no reloading and all the power you can stand.
    The main advantage to a .338-06 is the ability to sling big chunks of lead at moderate velocities without killing at both ends. The last one I built was on a 98 Mauser action and it launched 225 grain softpoints at around 2700 FPS and did so with a moderate shove to the shooter, not a vicious kick. 200 grain loads can get up to 2900 or so. The one deer I took with it before passing it on to the guy who commissioned it dropped in its tracks at about 125 yards. I'll build myself one eventually.

If you're Jonesing for a .338 magnum, start shopping for a P-14 Enfield action- - - - -it's already got the right boltface (.303 British) for a belted magnum, and the P-14/U.S. Eddystone action has enough strength and bolt stroke for any belted magnum including the H&H African rounds. I've got one in .300 H&H.
    Jerry
    The Weatherby Vanguard action would be another one that could be used pretty easily for a .338 magnum build- - - -just find one that's already set up for a belted case. (Yes, I know it's metric- - - -doesn't bother me at all!)
    Jerry
    Why? What's the point of buying a factory gun?

^^^^^This. Ain't no fun in it. I may fail miserably doing my own work, but at least I'll learn for the next one.
    Also, I've been sitting on a Lee press for some time now. I have a tid bit on reloading but it mostly seems to be just following the book. Other words, I'm not opposed to reloading.
    I am a big fan of .338's and 6.5's.I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with the rifle. Do you want a thumper? Something with light recoil, modest recoil? Long range or short? Hunting, formal target, or informal target-- and of those three, what type of hunting/formal/informal? My heavier rifles are/will be informal target rifles. I have a 6mm Remington (based on a Remington 700 30/06 donor), and a .338/375 Ruger (based on a Howa/Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby mag donor) in the process of being built. Then I have a thumper that is going to be fairly light weight (based on another Howa/Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby mag donor) that is going to become a .416 Remington Mag.
    -Thomas Paine
    Teach wrote: »
    The Weatherby Vanguard action would be another one that could be used pretty easily for a .338 magnum build- - - -just find one that's already set up for a belted case. (Yes, I know it's metric- - - -doesn't bother me at all!)
    Jerry
    Those babies are long too-- true magnum actions for a song! They will take .375 H&H and 7mm STW, and 8mm mag no problem. I am not sure about the bolt head, but they will have the length to fit .338 Lapua and .416 Rigby easily.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Sonof a.... Who the hell is the 270 Trump guy???? Pretty sure he said an 06 would be perfect. **** to hell.

Oh man! I am sorry for your troubles, but that is priceless. :roll2: You got the right atitude though. Try, and if you screw it up try again.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,050 Senior Member
    I live in Colorado, and if I ever build my dream elk-rifle, it'll be a .338-06.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You don't need to. A Remington 700 long action will fit anything from a 30-06 to a .458 Lott and everything in between. You can send your bolt to Gre-Tan Rifles to open up the bolt face for a magnum cartridge. Not that big a deal. Then order a magnum mag box and follower from MidwayUSA.com and you are done. Then all you have to do is rebarrel to .338 WinMag.

If this is the case, this is what I'm doing. I had my heart set on stupid big, expensive overkill that can do anything I want it to do. And of course I want a sub moa rifle (just to answer a few folks questions). I know I'll never likely do it or have the opportunity but if I ever wanted to kill huge game from one valley to another, then I could. I can also just punch paper all day or stare at my craftsmanship while it sits on my coffee table like a hillbilly. Its about want, not need. And to reiterate that its also a testimant to challenge my machining skills.
    I've got a Rem. 700 in 7 Mag sitting around in pieces that I'm planning on rechambering to 7 STW. Why? Because a guy GAVE me a couple of hundred rounds, some loaded and some once-fired, and threw in the loading dies and some powder, bullets and primers! If I'm going to have a magnum-itis shoulder, might as well do it in style!

I had forgotten about Greg Tannell for the bolt work. He does top-notch work for lots of the bench rest shooters- - - -get him to sleeve the firing pin for high pressure work while he's got the bolt- - - -it made a huge difference when he did that when the .257 Scooter started piercing primers near the high end of the load workup.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    It MAY be long enough. (TWSS) I'm NOT 100% certain.
    The bolt face shouldn't be terrible to open up.

There's only like 0.006" difference between the length of the .30-06 case and the .338 Win. Mag. case, and cartridge overall length is the same, so it should fit in the action. Bolt face will have to be opened up about 0.050" in diameter. And the action feed lips will probably need to be opened up a bit for the slightly fatter magnum case.

All bets are off if the rifle will be used with long for caliber VLD bullets or anything requiring a longer magazine length.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member

Um, yeah don't listen to him.

You could also do something on the .284 Winchester case. I like my 6.5x284 a lot and it is perfect on a long action.

I was late, disregard the middle part of my post.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have a handi rifle barrel with a fairly heavy profile in .223, a lathe, a savage rifle in .223, and a bad idea.
    Winter project, as I like to call it.

Why bother with a 1:12 barrel?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    The whole idea behind the 7mm, .300, .338, and 458 magnums were so they would fit in a standard "long" (30/06) sized action. The .375 and 416 Ruger use the exact same concept and fit in 30/06 length actions. If I recall, Remington uses the exact same action for their .416 Rem mag, 375 H&H, .338 Lapua, and 8mm mags that typically use a "magnum" length action but are the same as their 30/06 actions.
    -Thomas Paine