Home Main Category General Firearms

Phase two. Paging Teach.

Replies

• RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I have a handi rifle barrel with a fairly heavy profile in .223, a lathe, a savage rifle in .223, and a bad idea.
    Winter project, as I like to call it.
    I stumbled upon your rifle build during a google search or something like that. Spent a while reading the whole thread and found it odd how alike we think lol. Also put my mind on my lathe work and put in the temptation to start a profile here. Glad I did. Top notch folks so far. Some funny bastards here too :jester: I like it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Its about want, not need. And to reiterate that its also a testimant to challenge my machining skills.

Go for it- - - -we need another 22-page (and counting) rifle build thread!

:applause:
    Jerry
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Rocketman-- If you ever want to take that .338 Win mag further and go into wildcatting, I know a guy that has the reamers for a .338/375 Ruger. It is a bit of a step up from a .338 win mag and the only mod to the rifle is to run the reamer in to accomodate a larger cartridge. The ballistics are identical to a .338 Weatherby Mag.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?17299-Project-Poor-Man-s-Lapua

...a little bird tells me that the barrel is mounted on the action and the gunsmith is waiting on some idiot to send him reamers.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Rocketman-- If you ever want to take that .338 Win mag further and go into wildcatting, I know a guy that has the reamers for a .338/375 Ruger. It is a bit of a step up from a .338 win mag and the only mod to the rifle is to run the reamer in to accomodate a larger cartridge. The ballistics are identical to a .338 Weatherby Mag.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?17299-Project-Poor-Man-s-Lapua

...a little bird tells me that the barrel is mounted on the action and the gunsmith is waiting on some idiot to send him reamers.

I wish that idiot would hurry up. After Zee gave up on the project I almost lost hope.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I wish that idiot would hurry up. After Zee gave up on the project I almost lost hope.
    It is in Tennessee... sitting next to your .430 SJS barrel.:wink:
    -Thomas Paine
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    It is in Tennessee... sitting next to your .430 SJS barrel.:wink:

ORLY? Forget anything I said. I love you big guy. I was just looking at that bag of .308 brass tonight and really had to work at not starting on that... Then I remembered I haven't bought the proper die to run the special expander.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    I don't see why that action wouldn't work! I took a 7mag Rem 700 and re-chambered it to 7MM STW, worked just fine, it's long enough for H&H length stuff. Didn't like it, to heavy and don't like the safety that doesn't lock the bolt. So I built one on a standard 98 Mauser, just shortened the feed ramp a tad and used a commercial H&H length magazine.
    Teach wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I need to order 6mm Remington and .416 Remington mag reamers from Mr. Manson. Is there anything else you need from him while I am at it?
    -Thomas Paine
    Jerry, you mentioned a bushing or something to keep from deep primer impacts. Again I ain't no smith so forgive my ignorance, but isn't that an issue of a too long firing pin???
    Is there anything else you need from him while I am at it?

We will need a "GO" headspace gauge for each reamer. Not really necessary to have a NOGO on a new chambering job unless you just want it for some reason.
    Thanks!
    Jerry
    isn't that an issue of a too long firing pin???

As chamber pressures approach the OMG! range on a wildcat cartridge, (or a bench rest case) the primer cup material can be pushed back through the firing pin hole, which acts like a punch press. A piece of the primer ends up blown back into the bolt body, and sometimes the extractor gets damaged by the escaping pressure. Greg turns the firing pin down to a smaller diameter and installs a close-fitting hardened bushing into the bolt face. Problem solved!
    Jerry
    How do I get ahold of this guy? He have a good turn around time? I'm not in any hurry. Just wondering.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    How do I get ahold of this guy? He have a good turn around time? I'm not in any hurry. Just wondering.
    http://www.gretanrifles.com/
    No idea on his turn around/lead time

Edited to add: Looking at his website, he says 5-8 week minimum.

I suspect he can open the bolt face up to belted magnum size while he has it, so two birds, one stone :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Sonof a.... Who the hell is the 270 Trump guy???? Pretty sure he said an 06 would be perfect. **** to hell.
    easy now, two things, a .338 Win Mag is on an 06 length action. It's the same case as a 7 Mag which fits an 06 action. And Remington 06 length actions will work for long cartridges. You're fine. That Trump .270 guy knows a little about Remingtons. I can't build one but I can at least order parts to have one built and I know people that can do the work for me as I personally don't care to venture into anymore skill sets at my age. I have three 700s in my safe plus my 2nd ex took the .308 I bought her, and my first ex took my first Model 700, a BDL in 6mm. So I have been around Remingtons.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake? Oh du-de.
    See my signature.

Will you quit revvin this poor guy UP at my expense? You and everybody here know that a long 06 length 700 Remington action will fit anything up to all matters of elephant guns. There's only two Remington action lengths, a short action (.243-.308 ish) and 06-7 Mag.-.264 Mag.-.338 Win Mag. The only big thing he has to do is open up the bolt face and if he would have been paying attention when he first ask this question I told him this. He needs to pay attention to what he's reading. But he's fine. I think Wambli pointed out the one thing I forgot, he needs to change his box magazine to a fatter cartridge (.338 Win Mag.-7 Mag.-.264 Mag. ish size).
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    There are a few Remington 700 long action magnum bolts for sale on Ebay right now. Since you'll be rebarreling, swapping to a different bolt won't be a problem. Less costly and quicker than getting the bolt custom modified.
    Jerry
    There are a few Remington 700 long action magnum bolts for sale on Ebay right now. Since you'll be rebarreling, swapping to a different bolt won't be a problem. Less costly and quicker than getting the bolt custom modified.
    Jerry

Any detail of what needs done to the extractor? Or is that no worry if I buy a magnum bolt?
    The magnum bolt will have the right bolt face and extractor for belted magnum ammo- - - -they're almost all the same size. Gre-Tan wants $150.00 to install a Sako extractor and modify the bolt face. That's a good price if you really need it, but just using a magnum bolt puts you in business with less expense and no wait. Ebay your .30-06 bolt and get some of the cost back if you want to.
    Jerry
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    A 338 win is not "magnum" length. Most decent gunsmiths can open a Rem 70p bolt, no need for the cost and wait of gretan customs. Heck Bass Pro smiths can do that, and likely do frequently.

A true magnum length 338, would be the 340 Wby. That too, would fit with rather minimum effort. The 338 Edge or 338 Rem Ultra mag would still fit but those would require much more work due to the width, not length.

Remington, Weatherby Vanguard (to an extent, they've only done the 300 wby and 375 h&h, and they're in there TIGHT) Winchester 70 and long action or older 1xx series Savage....ALL are long enough. Rifle makers tend to make 2 lengths. Long enough and plenty long. Only lately are we finding "mini" 223 length actions. Every other 223 is based on 308 length. Too expensive to make a 30-06 length AND 375 length action. So they make the 375 length (unless they have NO plans to go longer then 30-06 ie Ruger hawkeye, american, marlin, etc) Take the Ruger Magnum and CZ Safari, those are 1500+ guns.

You could also just order a new bolt, either a custom like Pacific Tool & Gauge or probably find a factory one online. OR.....just buy another gun and save the 30-06 for another project
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    The magnum bolt will have the right bolt face and extractor for belted magnum ammo- - - -they're almost all the same size. Gre-Tan wants $150.00 to install a Sako extractor and modify the bolt face. That's a good price if you really need it, but just using a magnum bolt puts you in business with less expense and no wait. Ebay your .30-06 bolt and get some of the cost back if you want to.
    Jerry

Just so I don't screw up, what was the exact search term you entered into the eBay search, for what I need?
    "Remington 700 Magnum bolt"

Jerry
    150$ actually ain't bad now that i looked at replacement or custom bolts.

Still, you are talking 150-350 for a bolt mod, just to start your project. Buy a 2nd rifle if you can, change direction on the project, or sell the 06 (at a loss) and....but the proper one. At this point your going to have to spend a big chunk just to get started.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    150$ actually ain't bad now that i looked at replacement or custom bolts.

Still, you are talking 150-350 for a bolt mod, just to start your project. Buy a 2nd rifle if you can, change direction on the project, or sell the 06 (at a loss) and....but the proper one. At this point your going to have to spend a big chunk just to get started.

Money isn't an object. Not getting rid of this rifle action. Jerry pointed out an affective way to procure the correct bolt. This build is on.
    BTW fellas, this trigger is damn sweet. Not even but about .003 creep and a crisp, clean break. Pull weight is kinda high but its 100% gunsmith adjustable according to the booklet :jester:
    Any detail of what needs done to the extractor? Or is that no worry if I buy a magnum bolt?

See Jerry's post above. I would do as he says. Get a magnum bolt on ebay. And I don't know for 100% sure but I'm thinking Wambli is correct that you can buy a magnum box magazine from ebay and that's all you need do. I'm thinking Savage and Remington both just make one size width of rails on top of the magazine and the box magazine compensates for fatter or skinnier cartridge cases. People used to make .308 Norma's and .30-300 magnums with regular 06 actions all the time. It's not a big deal as it would be with a Mauser where you have to open the bolt face and file the feed rails to accommodate the wider, fatter cartridge cases.

Of course, in my opinion, a Mauser may take more work, but it can be well worth the effort.
    snake284 wrote: »
    See Jerry's post above. I would do as he says. Get a magnum bolt on ebay. And I don't know for 100% sure but I'm thinking Wambli is correct that you can buy a magnum box magazine from ebay and that's all you need do. I'm thinking Savage and Remington both just make one size width of rails on top of the magazine and the box magazine compensates for fatter or skinnier cartridge cases. People used to make .308 Norma's and .30-300 magnums with regular 06 actions all the time. It's not a big deal as it would be with a Mauser where you have to open the bolt face and file the feed rails to accommodate the wider, fatter cartridge cases.

Of course, in my opinion, a Mauser may take more work, but in my limited opinion it can be well worth the effort.

You're right on the actions Snake, they make a generic "long" and generic "short" that can work with just about anything, it is only some feed work if you go really wide and possibly rebated. They were built from the ground up for cheap, fast, mass production. Same with post-64 Mod 70's. I can take the box from my 300-to be 375- Wby and put it in my 7mm Rem Mag, voila. Or, just take the magazine block out of the back and add a new follower.
    Orrrrrrrrr, if this is a target gun.....he may not give a rip about the magazine and most single load it.

Well, there is always that. But making things more difficult then they need to be is what this place is based on!
    Ok. You show up to our annual shindig at Jerrys house this coming may. After shooting a good trigger, you'll throw that screaming pile of eXcrementmark trigger in the lake.
    Yep. I will bring my Remington 700.... in .338 RUM with a 6 ounce trigger.
    -Thomas Paine
    I am a big fan of .338's and 6.5's.I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with the rifle. Do you want a thumper? Something with light recoil, modest recoil? Long range or short? Hunting, formal target, or informal target-- and of those three, what type of hunting/formal/informal? My heavier rifles are/will be informal target rifles. I have a 6mm Remington (based on a Remington 700 30/06 donor), and a .338/375 Ruger (based on a Howa/Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby mag donor) in the process of being built. Then I have a thumper that is going to be fairly light weight (based on another Howa/Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby mag donor) that is going to become a .416 Remington Mag.

Jerm. I sometimes am bored with your choice of chamberings, but now you have come full circle and I love some of these you are talking of now. The 6mm Remington is one of my all time favorites and is up to the batter's box for my next build. I had one in a Remington 700 BDL, but I would love one in a longer action as the short action Remington limit's it some what or some say! I do love the Yugo Mauser action. It is perfect for a 6mm Remington, a .257 Roberts and of course the old 7x57 and 8x57 Mauser. That's what they(Yugos) were made for.