Home Main Category General Firearms

Phase two. Paging Teach.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I just happen to have a .338-06 chamber reamer, and you wouldn't have to open up the boltface that way. .30-06 headspace gauges work on all the -06 based cartridges, including that "picked-green" .270! Same .338 barrel blank, just no need to have an orthopedic surgeon on speed dial to repair the shoulder damage!
    Jerry

Some things look good in green!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Yep. I will bring my Remington 700.... in .338 RUM with a 6 ounce trigger.

SOB will get your attention.

I still want one.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ok. You show up to our annual shindig at Jerrys house this coming may. After shooting a good trigger, you'll throw that screaming pile of eXcrementmark trigger in the lake.

Should I let him tickle the XP-100 trigger if he comes out?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    If he tickels it, it will fire 18 times before he knows it! Your trigger goes off when the rush of air from your finger hits it.

Seriously that trigger will have tripped before he gets to TI in tickle.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's a fairly simple operation to adapt a R.E. Davis double set muzzleloader trigger to a Mauser trigger guard. Then you can really get radical with trigger pull weight while still having a hunting trigger set at a couple of pounds- - - - -just a matter of deciding whether to use the front or rear bang switch!
    Jerry
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    If he tickels it, it will fire 18 times before he knows it! Your trigger goes off when the rush of air from your finger hits it.
    Seriously that trigger will have tripped before he gets to TI in tickle.

There's a reason why I didn't even LOAD that gun to kill an antelope until I was already sighted on the target critter.

Rocketman, in all seriousness, you will want to get your hands on a few different triggers before you button that project up. There are some options out there that smoke what Remington (and others) offer from the factory. It can make a huge difference in the shootability of that rifle.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    A guy not worried about cost could always build more than one rifle once he's tooled up and gained some experience.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    On my .22-250 Mauser the bolt handle is the safety- - - -don't close it until you've got the sight picture where you want it! That's with a tweaked military trigger to boot! Covering a 200 yard group with a quarter is no problem at all.
    Jerry
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    I sure as hell ain't keeping the factory trigger. I was just mentioning it's descent for factory fodder. I'm guessing there are a ton of triggers out there for a 700. And thanks CPJ for the opinion on machining. My sentiments exactly. Precision is precision and following strict guidelines isn't difficult. But for now it's back to work in my lab. Got orders to fill and people pay good money to get Mach 1 in the sky!
    Rocketman wrote: »
    I sure as hell ain't keeping the factory trigger. I was just mentioning it's descent for factory follar. I'm guessing there are a ton of triggers out there for a 700. And thanks CPJ for the opinion on machining. My sentiments exactly. Precision is precision and following strict guidelines isn't difficult. But for now it's back to work in my lab. Got orders to fill and people pay good money to get Mach 1 in the sky!

As it turns out, I'm right about the action you bought being convertable to a .338 Win. Mag. It's done every day. I knew that because I've seen many examples.

However, as some here have asked, WHY! If you don't plan on hunting elk and up and large bears, why? If it's me and I want something that will reach out and touch something, I'm going with a .25-06 or 6.5-06, .270 Win., or .280 Remington.

Or you could leave it as a good ol' reliable .30-06 it already is. If you just want to build a rifle, you can always get you a thicker, longer, tighter twist, stainless, .308 inch Krieger barrel and fit it to your action chambering it in .30-06. Then get you a Timney or other good aftermarket trigger. Hell if you really feel adventurous you can get an aftermarket Mauser style 3 position safety, which I and others here feel is superior to the stock Remington two position safety, because it actually locks the firing pin, not just the trigger, and fit it to the Remington action. They make em for Remington 700s. Then drop it in the stock of your choice.

Any of the 06 length cartridges will be good for long range work and are good killers of game. Plus they more or less only kill on one end. If these chamberings are in rifles that have reasonable weight and a well designed stock they won't kick the piss out of you. They didn't get as popular as they are for no reason.

There's a lot of hoopla and razzing of the .270 on this forum but it's mostly not serious and it's kind of a standing joke here. There's nothing wrong with it and in fact I've had excellent results for many years with one, and it will hold its on for a deer size game rifle with any of the others. Used to be there weren't any Hi BC long range bullets or barrels made with a tight enough twist to stabilize these longer heavier bullets made for it, but that is changing. Berger for one is making some good bullets for it. Matrix also makes a couple of heavy high BC bullets for it. However, for most people, the 3 or 4 ol' reliable bullets available for it will do anything you need.

Also, same with the .25-06. It's another fine chambering. It and the .270 are both great rounds. I have a .270 and it's my go to reliable hunting rifle. I also have a .280 Remington, which is it's ballistic twin. However, if you want something that shoots bigger bullets, there's that 338-06 or if you're really into big there's the .35 Whelen, which will take any game on this continent and most in Africa. Both of these are also based on the 06 case. However, the Whelen is not really what I would call a long range rifle, especially with the heavier .35 cal. bullets available for it, though it will kill within shooting distance most people are capable of.

It boils down to what tickles your fancy. I believe you would be very happy with any of these 06 based cartridges. Whatever your choice good luck.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yeah even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Well after doing some thinking and also remembering that I dont suffer from erectile problems, I'm going to turn my 30 06 pencil barrel into a 30 06 heavy barrel, sub moa shooter. Why? Mostly do to a large selection of bullets and not having to get another bolt or alter mine. Damn cartridge has also been tried and trued for 110 years, so there's that too. I'm also thinking a thumb hole laminate stock and I'll free float the barrel and pillar bed the action, but one thing at a time. My wife may or may not kick my ass BTW. Damn enablers....
    I also considered something of a 7mm flavor. Unless it were a magnum, would it out due the 30 06? And boring is 308. Who the hell doesn't have one of those??? :jester:
    Well since your damn Mauser build has enabled me into buying and building a gun, and getting addicted to this crazy corner of the internet (not complaining really), what's your call? Gotta be a far and flat shooter with a good BC.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

.280 (30-06 necked to 7mm) or 6.5-06 would be far cooler.
    Study some balistic tables. Compare the down range trajectory.
    Don't bother comparing the .270 to anything. Your bullet selection is limited, (yes snake, I know, there are more available now) and we will make fun of you. Also, you mentioned a wife. That means your not gay. Therefore, you can't own a .270. Man Law.

(In case you haven't noticed.....we hack on the .270. It's a joke.)

Eeeaassyy...

I have a wife and a .270. Not gay.

That one time in college didn't count. It was a scientific experiment to test a hypothesis.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Eeeaassyy...

I have a wife and a .270. Not gay.

That one time in college didn't count. It was a scientific experiment to test a hypothesis.

Your FLAMING red beard must somehow make you immune to the .270 gayness.
    Dad 5-31-13
    270 is a damn good squirrel gun.
    I also considered something of a 7mm flavor. Unless it were a magnum, would it out due the 30 06? And boring is 308. Who the hell doesn't have one of those??? :jester:

.284 Shehane. 180gr VLDs driven to 2900FPS. That would be super cool. Same bolt face and magazine may have to open the feed rails just a touch.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Go ahead and get a .30 caliber barrel blank in heavy sporter contour, about 26" long. Then get a magnum bolt. Now, here's the trick- - - - -rent, don't buy a .300 H&H reamer. Just about all the belted magnums were developed by altering the H&H case, and they all use the same headspace gauge that measures the belt position, not the case shoulder. The 700 action will handle the length, and you'll get something that will turn heads at the range, and be able to handle any kind of game that walks on several continents.
    Jerry
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    6.5/06!!! I probably wouldn't hunt moose or brown bear with it, but I would use it for anything else in North America. Check those 6.5/06 ballistics out to 1000+ yards using 140 and 142 grain bullets. You could build a badass beanfield/informal target rifle with that action chambered in that cartridge and recoil is pretty modest, actually a kitten compared to a .338 Win Mag.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    You're just a kiss from a bearded man away dude. Don't play it off.

First time for everything....
    I've been shooting a 6.5-06 for 20-something years- - - - -125 grain Nosler Partitions for deer at 3100 FPS, and 100 grain Sierra HP's at 3400 for varmints. That little hollowpoint turns crows into an explosion of feathers at 400+ yards with boring regularity!
    Jerry
    I've been shooting a 6.5-06 for 20-something years- - - - -125 grain Nosler Partitions for deer at 3100 FPS, and 100 grain Sierra HP's at 3400 for varmints. That little hollowpoint turns crows into an explosion of feathers at 400+ yards with boring regularity!
    Jerry
    Have that reamer I can rent off you Jerry? Seems you fellas twisted my arm. Besides, I'd rather not piss away powder.
    Yep, I've got several -06 based reamers- - - -6.5-06, .25-06, .30-06, 8MM-06, and .338-06. No rent necessary, just a reasonable deposit in case you forget to return it!

These guys have a pretty good rental rate for something guys on the forum can't provide.
    http://www.reamerrentals.com/default.asp

Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You should be able to shoot that more with a great deal less fatigue than a 338 mag.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Yep, I've got several -06 based reamers- - - -6.5-06, .25-06, .30-06, 8MM-06, and .338-06. No rent necessary, just a reasonable deposit in case you forget to return it!

These guys have a pretty good rental rate for something guys on the forum can't provide.
    http://www.reamerrentals.com/default.asp

Jerry

I can send you any collateral you wish. That is when I get a barrel in my possession.
    If you want a Bartlein....

http://www.grizzly.com/rifle-barrels

Only $345??? Hell, I'm in.
    Good grief- - - -those barrels are long enough to pole vault with! Who needs ammo? Just reach out and smack the deer over the head with the barrel!
    Jerry
    Boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

.280 (30-06 necked to 7mm) or 6.5-06 would be far cooler.
    Study some balistic tables. Compare the down range trajectory.
    Don't bother comparing the .270 to anything. Your bullet selection is limited, (yes snake, I know, there are more available now) and we will make fun of you. Also, you mentioned a wife. That means your not gay. Therefore, you can't own a .270. Man Law.

(In case you haven't noticed.....we hack on the .270. It's a joke.)

That's your butt talkin and your face knows better! All meaningful bullets sizes and styles are covered. I guaranty if you own a 7mm anything, you will probably use two maybe three different bullets in it. There's about five really good bullets for the .270, just as many for pet loads as for the .280 Remington. In fact, in 50 years of hunting with mine, I very rarely have loaded anything but 130-140 grain bullets, mainly Sierra Game King and occasionally Speer Hot Cores. Either one will put a deer down like you dropped a Piano on it out past where you can probably see good. In my .280 Remington I have only loaded like 3 different bullets in 30 years. So the lack of bullet choice is BS. That's an academic arguing point that holds no water as far as practical usage goes.
    Well since your damn Mauser build has enabled me into buying and building a gun, and getting addicted to this crazy corner of the internet (not complaining really), what's your call? Gotta be a far and flat shooter with a good BC.

There's a lot of different ways to go here. Get experience with everything you can, choose which works best for you. Make up your own mind. Just sayin'!