Home Main Category General Firearms

Jerry! Mauser stuff

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,805 Senior Member
So picked up a rough shape rifle, price was right. To me it looks like a 98....but the store swears its one of the early Enfields (that caused the lawsuits) but i cannot find any stamps. Aftermarket stock and barrel....but i cannot for the life of me find anything that doesn't scream MAUSER 98!

You know anything about these early enfield mauser clones?
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    [IMG][/img]20160927_225545_zpsxy3u5m48.jpg

20160927_225701_zpsgbr0utwx.jpg

20160927_225635_zpsmwy0bcda.jpg

20160927_225628_zpsbzg7nwrq.jpg

20160927_225610_zpsrb5kjn9r.jpg

20160927_225556_zpskns1mptp.jpg
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Can you post a pic, or maybe email me one? The Eddystone/Winchester/Remington clones of the P-14 Enfield look a lot like a Mauser, but the main differences are a cock-on-closing bolt and an oddball stepped-bottom trigger guard/magazine floorplate. They were made during WW I and a lot of them went straight into storage and never saw any action. The Americxan rifles were chambered in .30-06 instead of .303 Brit like the P-14's. If you've got one of them they're getting pretty scarce and valuable. I've got a couple of sporters built on that action.

Just saw the pics- - - -you have a very nicely sporterized 98 Mauser, probably Turkish from the extended bolt release/stripper clip guide. Any idea what it's chambered for? Do you want your money back right away? LOL!
    Jerry
    150$ ??? NO haha, I'm pretty satisfied with this find. A tiny bit of rust, a little pitting, and it is missing the rear action screw, I guess it is stripped. Nothing that cannot be fixed, especially starting at 150$

It is a 30-06. Don't have a bore scope but looking with the eyes, barrel doesn't look to be in horrible shape. Not that I need another 30-06 (or 223 but I put ANOTHER one on layaway tonight anyways....).

I figured it was a M98. An actual Enfield would have been cool, since you can fit a footlong sub in that action, but I knew it wasn't a "proper" Enfield
    Get the headspace checked, and maybe even a chamber casting before you shoot it. I just got a **** Type 99 in the other day from a guy who works with my son. It's got a badly butchered chamber that's been sorta-kinda rechambered to -06, but a fired case looks downright nasty!
    Jerry
    cpj wrote: »
    Interesting way of doing the rear mount. Not a bad idea, it at least preserves the action save for some holes. Pop that front base off and see what lies beneath.
    Oh. And $150. You kiss the guy? You should have.

Gander Mountain of all places!!! I've now picked up a SS Ruger MkII boat paddle for 350, Ruger MkII 7mm Rem for 280, Savage 116 for 199 (with a 400$ Nikon Monarch 6-17x40 fine plex scope on it) this "Enfield" for 150 and tonight I put down a Savage 12 FCV for 280, on layaway. Everytime I go to pick up something, they've got some crazy deal sitting there that no one else has snagged yet.
    Teach wrote: »
    Get the headspace checked, and maybe even a chamber casting before you shoot it. I just got a **** Type 99 in the other day from a guy who works with my son. It's got a badly butchered chamber that's been sorta-kinda rechambered to -06, but a fired case looks downright nasty!
    Jerry

Yea I'll have it looked at, but looks to be an aftermarket barrel stamped CAL 30/06 and no other stamps at all, so not any type of military barrel
    I'll screw with it tomorrow and see if there are any hidden marks. So far all I can see ON the action, is a 3 digit serial number that was obviously not done at the factory
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    100% 98 Mauser. Dosen't look like a Turk! Has a Buehler safety. Gander is a joke! You got a great buy! They always crack me up with their prices. I once saw two bubba'd MKI #3 Enfields without sights for $700 EACH!! The rear base was the standard way of mounting the two piece Weaver without removing the clip slot.
    Well I'll have to look into it more, but I think the clip slot will be coming off anyways. Need to talk to some more mauser guys on the process of...stretching...the M98 out. I know some metal from and back has to come off, I assume those clip slots will need to go. I need to get an actual quote to do it "old school" vs buying a mag length action, they're too dang expensive. Of course, might be a fun 7x57 as well. First though, needs a LOT of other upgrades. Need to address the action screws, getting the rust off/polish up, and that trigger....yikes. 4 miles long and 40lbs at least. The cocking on open works real smooth. Looks like the follower is a bit shorter then the whole mag box as well, not sure if it that is normal but there is more play then I'm used to.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    So picked up a rough shape rifle, price was right. To me it looks like a 98....but the store swears its one of the early Enfields (that caused the lawsuits) but i cannot find any stamps. Aftermarket stock and barrel....but i cannot for the life of me find anything that doesn't scream MAUSER 98!

You know anything about these early enfield mauser clones?

Doesn't look anything like my 1917 Enfield, more like a 98 with a Beuler safety. That is a Beuler Safety, I don't care what action it is.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    What are you planning on chambering that's longer than a .30-06? The only thing I can think of that won't fit a standard length Mauser magazine would be something like an H&H magnum, and those require some dangerous grinding behind the lower bolt lug and a major stretch and reweld of the magazine box. If you want to shoot heavy weight -06 rounds like a 220 grain round nose you can get another 1/8" or so of length of the magazine box and bolt stroke with some bolt stop grinding and some heavy duty filing on the front and back of the mag box. There's also a sneaky way to cut, bend, and reweld the front corners of the mag box but it also requires a bit of reshaping of the feed ramp. Don't worry about the short follower. Very few of them fill the whole mag box and they don't tilt or otherwise cause any problems. If you rebarrel/rechamber for a belted magnum round you'll lose one round of magazine capacity due to the larger case head diameter and you'll need to reshape the receiver feed lips for reliable cycling of the bigger cases. Have fun!
    Jerry
    Talking to Caleb, he said its possible we could stuff a 404 Jeff in there. It is not quite as long as the H&H. I put a 300 Wby cartridge in the mag and it alllllmost fit, I mean real close. He needs to see it first. Started reading last night, seems easier to stuff that 404 in vs a belted full length, lots of standard 98's became Jefferey's. And you got Swift and Duane Weibe making the proper bottom metal to fit them, including a "pocket" floor plate and follower to fit the Ruger/RUM/Jeffery with 3-4 down. Expensive though, 400+

Although he DOES have a 35 Whelen Improved barrel for a LR 98 just sitting in his shop. I had been thinking about screwing on a 338 or 35 tube on the SS Ruger, but this may not be a bad way to go since its ready to go.

I think with a little bit of work on the stock, I can end up with quite a functional hunter. Snapping it up and carrying it around last night, this stock actually fits me extremely well, it comes right up to my eyes on point. A vision of a classic style working DG rifle makes me giddy
    35 Whelen would be good, with only a little tweaking of the feed lips required. I've also built a .338-06 and an 8MM-06 on standard-length Mausers without having to do a lot of metal butchering. Any of those would handle any game from elk on down with no problem at all, and do it without stressing the piggy bank too badly. The .35 Whelen used to be the gun of choice for Alaskan guides before people got addicted to shoulder-dislocating magnums, even taking grizzly bears on a regular basis.
    Jerry
    Really wanted a true big bore....that might just have to wait. I had totally forgot about the 10.75x68, looking into that though, crappy Bertram cases are easy enough to find, but 90$ per 20. Lots of bad reviews. Quality Cartridge will do a special run at 80$ per 20. Dies are about 300$ and special order from RCBS. if i went that way I'd probably just order the reamer and dies together from CH4D. Tempting, though, i know Alec likes his, and he sent me a case and bullet several years ago as inspiration haha. Gotta find those.

For ease of build and cost, leaning towards the 9.3, always been a fan, talked Snake into building one (still makes me giggle) maybe its time for my own