Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

UN says US should pay black people reparations!

2»

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    So how far back do we go? Certainly Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus and Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus Africanus Numantinus both had slaves in 236 - 129 BC. Do I owe them reparations too?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,568 Senior Member
    Gratitude to you all.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Abe Lincoln had the right idea- - - - -Send 'em back to Africa! I'd chip in for a one-way ticket for anyone willing to emigrate to Liberia, or Somalia, Nigeria, etc.!
    Jerry

:that:

As awful as slavery is/was, and as bad as kidnapping native Africans was centuries ago and bringing over here to serve as slaves, their ancestors are far better off than if they were in their original country of origin. No doubt there are exceptions to this, but in general, anyone who is the ancestor of a slave in this country should thank their lucky stars that they are here and not in their country of origin.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Cassius Clay expressed that opinion before he got brainwashed into becoming a "muslim".
    Jerry
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    :that:

As awful as slavery is/was, and as bad as kidnapping native Africans was centuries ago and bringing over here to serve as slaves, their ancestors are far better off than if they were in their original country of origin. No doubt there are exceptions to this, but in general, anyone who is the ancestor of a slave in this country should thank their lucky stars that they are here and not in their country of origin.

This is absolutely true and one of the great many facts about history that get overlooked. The ancestors of a friend of mine owned a lot of slaves on their plantation in North Carolina and from letters and diaries that their family has, it appears that most slaves were actually well taken care of because they needed them healthy and productive. All of the images of slaves kept in cages, starved and living on the owner's table scraps and kept barely alive is a fabrication perpetuated by storytellers and writers. If a slave didn't work well, they were sold and hopefully replaced with one that worked. Beating or killing them, while I'm sure that it happened, was not the norm as it would be akin to smashing up your old car before you traded it in for a newer one.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I did the test.

Legacies of British Slave-ownership.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/

It would appear both sides of my family (Mum and Dad) owned quite a number of slaves, located mainly in Antigua, Jamaica and Barbados.

I am bereft of small change, will they be able to split a Groat, do you think.

"He that spends a groat a day idly, spends idly above six pounds a year."
    Benjamin Franklin.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 872 Senior Member
    Some of my Dad's family came from South Carolina, fought for the Confederacy and, when last I talked with my Aunt (4 or so years back) she said she believed that they had owned slaves.
    It baffles me that some people expect to be payed for what happened to their ancestors, the wrongness of judging the child for the sins of the father doesn't seem to have any bearing for these clowns.

BTW shush, you owe Mrs Waipapa 65 acres in County Cork, was seized in the 19th century for being too big a holding for a Papist :roll2:
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    ......BTW shush, you owe Mrs Waipapa 65 acres in County Cork, was seized in the 19th century for being too big a holding for a Papist :roll2:

Quite right too. :devil:

Those " 'left-footers" would be throwing stones and bottles at me when I marched with my Mum and the Orange Order, Sunday afternoons, after we had attended early Mass with my Dad that same morning.

Kids today, don't know what they are missing.

"With Mother every Sunday, to Mass I'd proudly stroll.
    Then after that, the Orange lodge would try to save my soul.
    For both sides tried to claim me, but i was smart because
    I'd play the flute or play the harp, depending where I was."
    The Orange and The Green

T'other way round ‘appen but you get my drift.
    Rough City mate.
    Liverpool? iirc

Been a while since I heard the term left footers
    Liverpool? iirc
    Yes.

Always been a bit of a melting pot.

Ireland's second capital.

At one time probably close to 50% of the city was Irish (Catholic) born, only Dublin and New York had a larger population.

My Irish side is a mixer of famine migrants and newer stock.

My Nin, Mum of my Dad, had a very thick brogue, new stock.

I was always "the wee 'un" to her, never my given name, Dewi, the patron saint of Wales, see.

Been a while since I heard the term left footers

It goes back a long way, something to do with the use of a type of peat shovel/spade, probably not PC now.

(How do you confuse an Irishman? Put two shovels against a wall, and tell him to take his pick!) :jester:

Another one was "coggers", used by my Nan (Mum of my Mum).

And something or other in Welsh, which I would not be able to spell.

Dread to think what it meant but she called me it quite a bit, whenever she "lost the English" with me.
    shush wrote: »
    I was always "the wee 'un" to her, never my given name, Dewi, the patron saint of Wales, see.

I take it then that like me you've had a lifetime of fun spelling the name out slowly to government officials, bankers and utilities companies, I'm Finnbar.

I'm similar, My Mum's Grandmother was a Protestant from Armagh, her and her sisters left when their father was stabbed to death by a Catholic on their doorstep (over a job so the story goes)

The Old Man's people were from the South and were/are VERY Catholic and staunch nationalists.
    I take it then that like me you've had a lifetime of fun spelling the name out slowly to government officials, bankers and utilities companies, I'm Finnbar............

Luckily my dad put his foot down and so I got the english on my birth certificate.