Home Main Category General Firearms

AR-15 Triggers

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,915 Senior Member
I know that we have discussed after market triggers before. My AR lower kit came with a really bad double stage trigger. Part of me said this is better than what the Army gave me for several years so I lived with it. A while back I purchased an after market trigger that I got installed with only minor difficulty and after shooting it the first time learned that I kind of liked a nice smooth single stage trigger on my AR. Can not give you a definite reason, just that I like how the gun shoots now.

What do you guys prefer? I know several on here shoot WAY more often than I and are much more accurate with your AR. What makes one more better than the other?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    ALG Defence enhanced tiger is inexpensive and gets rave reviews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    I have one lower with a Geissele SSA and two with RRA NM triggers.

For the money, if you aren't going into a war zone, RRA will be my choice from hereon out. The Geissele, while a simpler design, is no better feel wise than the RRA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Anybody have any experience with POF triggers? I have a Timney on my AR I like.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    For a GP rifle, RRA NM
    For a dedicated precision rifle, I'm fond of the Timney Drop in
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have one lower with a Geissele SSA and two with RRA NM triggers.

For the money, if you aren't going into a war zone, RRA will be my choice from hereon out. The Geissele, while a simpler design, is no better feel wise than the RRA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I have four RRA NM triggers now. They are far and away the best value for the money.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I have a couple of the Geissele SSA-E triggers which are super nice for precision shooting. I have a RR 2-Stage in another rifl that is good and inexpensive and even a couple of DPMS mil=spec triggers that are not terrible.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    I am not as versed in the wide range of triggers available as some here. I keep things pretty simple. I've found what I like and I run with it. Keep in mind, I am not running target/match ARs. All of mine are hunting or fighting guns. So, I have particular requirements for them.

CMC
    Geissele

The scariest trigger I have though, is a modified National Match trigger. That is the second scariest 2-Stage trigger I've ever fired. I have to be REALLY paying attention to find the second stage.

The scarriest I ever had was a Geissele I was testing. It was supposed to be a 2-Stage. I probably only found the second stage a handful of times. It was decidedly NOT designed for the gun I was testing it in. I gave it back.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • WheelWheel Member Posts: 102 Member
    First AR was a few years ago...Sig M400 with Magpul furniture.
    Love at first sight.
    The honeymoon was great except for the trigger was the worst I'd ever owned.
    Ten miles of bad road. Gritty, long and frustrating.
    Geissele G2S drop-in cured that. I learned to love the two-stage.

Second AR was DPMS Sportical I got so I could have something to abuse that I wasn't so much in love with.
    After replacing the horrible trigger with another G2S I found out it was more accurate than the chrome-lined Sig and more fun to shoot.

Next I got an Adams Arms piston 5.56 and really love that one more than the first two.
    Bad trigger replaced with Geissele SD-E and that is my most favorite trigger.
    For me, two-stage is very fast to get on target and fast to get back on target.
    It's like a rhythm or a dance when shooting diet soda cans at 50 to 100 yards. Cans laying on their sides with bottom towards firing position.

I've spent a lot more money on 5.56 ammo than I have on the guns and triggers.
    At my age it's more fun than anything.

My latest is an Adams arms .308 piston and it's not as accurate as my bolt .308 but I enjoy it more than any other gun.
    After putting a muzzle brake on it, it is fast.
    Real fast.
    With nice heavy Atlas bipod and muzzle brake turned to about 20 degrees before vertical, it no longer jumps to the right.
    The trigger is light and clean from the factory and has just a little rolling creep which is extremely smooth.
    I don't feel the need for a drop-in trigger for it yet.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    I just put in a Timney drop in into mine and so far am very happy with it. Light but not scary, very smooth.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Seems as though I am the minority in preferring a single stage trigger. Guess it is what I was issued from my first time ever shooting a rifle.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think you squeezed the Ruger aftermarket on my Ruger 556 made by Ruger when you visited the other day. It is good enough for my purposes. It is a 2-stage. Called Elite 452

Can pick them up fer 100 bucks and less.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Elite-452-AR-Trigger/productinfo/90461/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    In that case, CMC has a military discount and I've heard good things about their triggers.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Primary Arms has a good sale going on. POF 4 lb drop in for like 100 bucks is one I saw.

I've said it before but Hiperfire triggers are the best design out there. I've tried some other nice triggers 3 gunners use and while great stuff, I still like the feel of the trigger shoe and the 30% extra hammer force I get with the lightest pull weight, 2.5 lbs. Two extra springs on a pivot point lighten the trigger pull and as the geometry changes, add force to the hammer.

I've never tried American Gold but they are supposed to be sweet but also north of 300 bucks.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Seems as though I am the minority in preferring a single stage trigger. Guess it is what I was issued from my first time ever shooting a rifle.

You are not alone. I have two aftermarket triggers, a JP Enterprises single stage (~$125), and a Geissele SSA-E (~$200). I generally prefer a single stage trigger, BUT, for precision shooting (ie. Bench rest) the SSA-E rules.

The JP Enterprises takes a LOT more effort/time setting it up, but has a (very slightly) shorter trigger reset. The Geissele is a true drop in (10 minute installation tops). The SSA-E first stage is so smooth, that it feels like you are just taking up slack... making the 2nd stage (~1.2lbs) feel lighter than it is (3.5 lbs total). The JP Enterprises single stage just breaks cleanly with no creep, minimal over travel, and a VERY short reset. Also ~3.5 lbs pull weight.

I'm thinking about trying a Timney or CMC next build.

Luis

ps. If someone else is doing the installation and fine tuning for free (like my good buddy did with this one :cool2:), I'd do another JP Enterprises trigger in a heartbeat. If *I* am doing the installation, I'll be buying a "drop in" trigger again.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug