Home Main Category Clubhouse

It all started with a feral cat

SmileySmiley MemberPosts: 201 Member
Years ago we adopt a stray tom and named him Sidewalk. he stayed an outdoor cat and we just feed him watching him grow up. One day he has a daughter who decided to stay with him. We named her Sweepea. She was skittish but soon warmed up to us and loved us like crazy.

S5030439.jpgupload photo

She grew up some at around 5-6 months old. Would you believe it? Someone stole the dish!

S5030570.jpgupload png

It wasn't long when Sweepea had her litter. All six of them and three I had to rescue from inside the walls. The crazy cat moved them to the attic.

S5030689.jpgupload images

Soon they were given away and we had one left and I decided to keep him. That's him at the very top.

S5030717.jpgpic hosting

That's GrayZ at two months old.

S5030795.jpgupload gif

My dog wasn't happy about GrayZ sleeping in his crate.

S5030796.jpgscreenshot on pc

Today he's 5 months old and a handful of dynamo.

S5030847.jpgfree picture hosting

S5030846.jpgphoto hosting sites

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Big problems always start out small :jester:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    No kidding. Sweepea had another litter, now 5 of 'em.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    My cat "Lucky" was born feral. Caught her at ~4 weeks old. Except for trips to the vet, she hasn't been back out since (and doesn't want to go)

Having been spayed, she won't be having any kittens.

Nice looking kitties :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,981 Senior Member
    My first thought after reading the title, was that this thread should go in the "Hunting Forum".
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    so many cats- - - - -so few recipies!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    I'm of the opinion that every cat in existence is out to extinguish the human race. Sleep with one eye open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    so many cats- - - - -so few recipies!
    :jester:
    Jerry

Best Chinese food is always next door to a Vet clinic ... but the meow gai pan seems to always be stringy.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    I'm of the opinion that every cat in existence is out to extinguish the human race.

Why do you think I like 'em so much? Anything that gets the freeway moving faster.:devil:

I've had a large number of screen door refugees in my life. My wife and I have always enjoyed coming home to someone who's glad to see you.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Both of my boys sleeps with me in bed. Fisher by my legs and GrayZ by my head. :cool:
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    I had two cats a few years ago. Rather, I inherited them when a relationship failed and she didn't take the cats with her when she left. They were ok. They did their thing, I did mine. One of them would have loved to live outside and I would have let it. But my dogs would have killed it in no time. Two deciding factors caused me to get rid of them. One of the cats was white and black. My uniform pants are black and do not mix well with white cat hair. I was sick and tired of constantly trying to get cat hair off my clothes. Second, one of my mom's friends had a 20-something year old cat that died on Thanksgiving day. I had mentioned that the cats needed a new home and mom asked the lady if she'd want them. She said she'd take them. So that's where they went. That crazy old lady texted me regularly for a couple of years after, just to let me know how my cats where doing. Didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't really care, as long as they all were happy.....
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    So...
    She got the goldmine, and you got the cats?

Yes. I'd say something else related that she took with her that I had stopped getting before she left, but.........
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    I have been quite fond of my striped cats over the years, yours is a good looking one, you need to get them fixed though, stray cats are Hell on song and game birds.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I have been quite fond of my striped cats over the years, yours is a good looking one, you need to get them fixed though, stray cats are Hell on song and game birds.

This. Cats will kill for sport and are usually pretty adept at it. Get 'em fixed and cut down the numbers some.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    They also climb on my truck and crap in my yard. My dog finds the crap and rolls in it. I detest outside cats. Or, the dip wads that let them roam my neighborhood. If I lived in the country, I'd splatter cat heads over my back yard with a high powered rifle. But, I'm simply limited to live trapping and relocating.

Moisin-Nagant .44 Mag birdshot.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    This. Cats will kill for sport and are usually pretty adept at it. Get 'em fixed and cut down the numbers some.

It is pretty much standing orders to roll any cat, coyote, or **** encountered while upland bird hunting.
    I need to get that back from my dad. He's had it for a couple years. Think it's time it comes home....

If you need ammo and Cheetos, let me know:jester:
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    a9e2edd7cc4f61f9db0e97e3dac98f89.jpg

This girl was found wandering in my back yard 6 years ago.....not sure how old she was but her whole body could fit in one hand.
    Been my best pal ever since.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Lucky
    DSC_0064_zpss9afn7sp.jpg
    DSC_0063_zpsnhglmhm7.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

And a meme I made from that 2nd pic
    Care_zpsgl1ngn2r.jpg

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    This is what Charlie looked like when we found him at the back door. Think our dog liked him then.
    009_zpsvqaypxuj.jpg

And Charlie now.
    100_1574_zpsxlzzhefp.jpg
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    They also climb on my truck and crap in my yard. My dog finds the crap and rolls in it. I detest outside cats. Or, the dip wads that let them roam my neighborhood. If I lived in the country, I'd splatter cat heads over my back yard with a high powered rifle. But, I'm simply limited to live trapping and relocating.

Give them a swimming lesson before relocating the poor beasts. Ten minutes ought to be long enough, that way the kitty will STAY relocated.

In my yard I mostly use a live trap but it is VERY rare an animal leaves that trap alive. They stay gone better after a .22 bullet has gone through their skull.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    All our cats have been feral...
    Cowboy and Huckle were literally born in our wood pile...part Maine ****, part ragdoll. Cowboy lived for 8 years (died of liver failure) and was a solid 16 pounds, Huckle still with us after 11 years topped out at 7 pounds.
    Hobbes was a stray that found us in the back yard and never left...we had him live in the shop for a few days, then to the vet...they didn't want to let him go. He wouldn't stop purring and rolling around for them.

Support your local Scouts!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    We have two cats that allow us to live in their house. The first was a stray that my wife fed, a calico (Cally). She had a litter of six which we kept one. A yellow tabby my wife named Peaches. They are both fixed and generally live outside during the day coming in at night. They are good cats, as far as that goes.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    The good thing about outside cats is they keep snakes down. They will charm and kill a rattler. I first discovered this when I was about 10 years old and we lived out in the country. My dad bought a house just outside of town that was a newly developed area of four new houses. They built it on a snake hive and we were always seeing and killing little rattlers. One day walking home from school (I can't believe we actually walked 3 miles one way to school, nobody does that anymore) a yellow tom cat followed me home and my mother fed him something and he took up homestead. My mother went to town and bought him some cat food. But we soon found it not necessary. He was pretty feral and being strictly an outside cat took care of his own needs. Then as he got bigger he started killing snakes. One morning my mother (She was a teacher) was going to school and opened the side door at the car port and there's a 2 foot rattler lying dead on the concrete step. Hmmm that's strange. then a couple days later there's another one. This went on a couple days a week for the next two years. It was that big yellow tom cat. Now and then we'd find a rattler much larger than you would think a cat could handle. But he did. That cat was one snake killin' dude, I'm tellin' you!
    And he'd always drag em up to the back porch so we would see he was earning his keep. That cat went with us when we moved here to the Big City of Port Lavaca, Population 9,000 I think in 1961. But he mysteriously disappeard about 6 months after we moved there. My mother figured somebody got tired of him crapping in their yard. That was a shame because that cat really was useful.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I don't hate cats, i.e. I won't kill one just to watch it die. Typically, I am capable of co-existing with one, as long as we understand each other. I will allow an outdoor cat to hang around and kill varmints, as long as he/she stays the hell away from the front porch, where the chameleon lizards that I do love to watch hang out in the hedge and flower beds. This makes for an interesting situation, sometimes, because Mrs. Bisley tries to lure them up to the house, when I'm not looking, and I chase them away with an airsoft pistol, when she isn't looking. Fortunately, it's easier to scare one than it is to tame one, so I have the advantage in that contest. Also, Mrs. Bisley knows that if I start seeing tail-less lizards, I'll break out the artillery.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    My wife and oldest son rescued a kitten one evening out on a walk. I think it was around 5 or 6 weeks old. Brought it home and he never left. I wasn't really a cat person but it didn't take long for Mr P to grow on you...lay on you...scold you...tell you he was hungry...want to climb and lay on your shoulder so you could walk around with a furry scarf...sleep under the covers and set you up to rub his belly so in a blink of an eye show you how sharp he'd gotten his front claws.

He's long passed now and we're a family again!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    Our cat pictured below:

X
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Our 3 year old Bobby. My sis got him from the vet who found him as a stray.

S5030438.jpgimage upload no compression

He quickly claimed our 16 year old Brucie who died earlier this year.

S5030202_2.jpghow to take a screen shot

Here he is waiting for Brucie to come back from the vet. It took him weeks to realize she's not coming back.

S5030401.jpgimage hosting without registration

Here he is when he was just brought home from the vet. We became instant buddies on my desk.

S5030641_2.jpgimage hosting over 5mb
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    He's long passed now and we're a family again!

Exactly.

I never liked cats being allowed to suck up to everybody when they wanted something, and being total A-holes when they didn't, so I refused to have a house cat. When my daughters were little, my wife defied me for the first time, by getting a kitten for them. I wasn't enough of a brute to take it away from them, so I put up with it, and two or three more, after the first one disappeared. But, I wouldn't let it rub around on me, and treated it exactly as I would have treated a dog. By that, I mean I attempted to train it.

Obviously, that didn't suit a cat, but I was able to teach it what not to do, finally, by flinging a boot at it any time it was destroying furniture or getting on the table or kitchen counter. It would typically hide for a day or two, after each boot-flinging, and we understood each other quite well, at that point. After a while, the cat would turn and stare at me, whenever he was thinking about destroying something, just for the hell of it. I would stare it down, at which point, it would swish its tail and walk off, much like a whitetail deer does when it comes off of an 'alert' posture.

My girls finally grew up and the cat era ended, permanently, although Mrs. Bisley still feeds the feral cats, on the sly.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    I caught my neighbor's cat trying to cut my brake lines this AM...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski