Scoping a Mossburg 500E .410 pump...

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberPosts: 1,705 Senior Member
Does anyone know the best way to scope a Mossburg pump. .410. I have a redot on my 500 12 ga. but cannot find a mount for the small 500E. I'd rather not drill and tap it. I promised it to my Great grandson. but I want to shoot it some before he gets it.(He's 11 Mo.s old). be awhile be fore he's ready. I want to put a RED DOT on it and try some slugs.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Nobody seems to make one for the .410 Mossberg. One of the Weaver side mounts could possibly have the holes redrilled for the .410 frame, but it might end up offsetting the scope to the right a good bit due to the receiver of the .410 being thinner than the 20 or 12 gauges.

A clamp on Picatinny rail might be the only option. It could be mounted forward of the magazine tube nut to give you a forward mounted red dot mount.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Barrel ribs are routinely attached with AcraGlas, and they stay put. Find a mount that approximates the contour of the top of the receiver, fit it closely with a sanding drum in a Dremel tool by carefully shaping the bottom of the mount, and glass it on. I'd reccomend the Weaver-style mount that fits a Marlin 336- - -it's almost flat-bottomed and can be shaped to fit the Mossy receiver over several inches for a good contact patch. When it comes time to remove it, if you ever want to, heating the mount with a Propane torch flame will break the bond. Since the .410 will have light recoil, and the red dot doesn't weigh much, the epoxy bond should hold up well and the damage to the finish of the gun, if any, will be minimal.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Nooo glue,grinding,drilling....I have been looking at the mount on my 12ga 500, and it is only 1/4" wider, if the screw can be found, two 1/8"Shimsof alum. Bar stock might work.