Impact bullet puller

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,940 Senior Member
I need to revisit this subject.
For example, the Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller found here http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller?cm_vc=S016ID630146

States in the notes: Works with cast bullets from some 22
center fire up to .45-70.

Does that mean handgun .45 colt and down as well,
and most importantly, jacketed bullets?
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Yes and Yes.....As long as you have the proper collets
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Works for cast and jacketed boolits; the better the crimp, the harder they are to pull, though. I've used mine from .45-70 down to .22 Hornet. The Hornet was the hardest to pull, though. The lighter the bullet, the more times you have to bang the hammer on a board. Makes sense though; 350 grain bullets have more inertia than 45 grain bullets.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    Thank you all. It was important to get the info today as some women are getting their heads together about gifts and such.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...you could save a lot of time, money, effort, frustration, & humiliation by just getting a collet type that works in your press now, instead of "later"...
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    NN -

Let me warn you that I have that FA intertial and it's been relegated to a shelf decoration. It's not the best by any stretch: the screw-down locking ring comes loose far too often, reulting in a lot of futile pounding until you catch the problem. I bought the RCBS puller and have had much better luck.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I've also got the RCBS collet puller. I use the inertial puller when I don't have many bullets to pull. After about 20, the inertial puller gets a bit tedious. But if you only have a few to pull, it's pretty quick, and gets the job done.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Six-Gun wrote: »
    NN -

Let me warn you that I have that FA intertial and it's been relegated to a shelf decoration. It's not the best by any stretch: the screw-down locking ring comes loose far too often, reulting in a lot of futile pounding until you catch the problem. I bought the RCBS puller and have had much better luck.

Decided to get the Hornaday one since it specifically stated it was for handgun ammo as well as rifle.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    Good call.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...you could save a lot of time, money, effort, frustration, & humiliation by just getting a collet type that works in your press now, instead of "later"...
    wildgene:
    I don't have a press, I just want to try and fix an occasional rnd that gets the bullet pushed in too far from some issue such as being dropped in shipping.

Also, serves as letting the DIL get something I might actually want.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Decided to get the Hornaday one since it specifically stated it was for handgun ammo as well as rifle.

You got good teeth? :jester::tooth::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Good luck with whatever puller you decide on. I pulled some .303 Brit ammo years ago with one. The brass was turning green and the Cordite strips had started melting inside.........:yikes:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Don't be like them old house wives that make food for thirty, and there are only ten in the house !!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Don't be like them old house wives that make food for thirty, and there are only ten in the house !!!!
    You mean just throw the ammo away----to date, I could have used it 3 times.

70 cents X 3 = ? you are correct. But, there is the DIL thing. She just can't bring herself to get a Wally World gift card and be satisfied.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    For what you want it for Ned, tell her to get it. I think it will work fine for an occasional use. I also hear people say they actually prefer the inertia style one. If I get one again it's going to be the collet one that works on the press, but that's because I had one of the inertia ones years back and the few times I've needed one it was to pull many bullets. Mine worked ok but I just want to try the other one this time. I'm not sure but I think when I got divoreced the ex put my old one in a garage sale because when my youngest son gave me back all my loading stuff it wasn't in there. So I'll get the RCBS and try it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Tnks snake
  • LOLLOL Member Posts: 41 Member
    I use one al the time. I put cotton in the bottom to keep the bullet from getting damaged. Get you a piece of wood that you can hit the end grain, mine is a piece of 4x4 three feet long, I stand it on the end, and have less bounce, and the bullets come out faster.
  • deadeyedeadeye Member Posts: 73 Member
    Just dont try pulling 6mm Rem bullets in it. The long necks create a lot of grip and you can have a primer go off on you. Had it happen to me so i got an RCBS Collet Die.........Its a breeze now.
    No Need To Run, You Will Only Die Tired
    LOL wrote: »
    I use one al the time. I put cotton in the bottom to keep the bullet from getting damaged. Get you a piece of wood that you can hit the end grain, mine is a piece of 4x4 three feet long, I stand it on the end, and have less bounce, and the bullets come out faster.
    I have some of that lumber in the garage, some of it oak as well as an oak chopping block or 2. Thanks for the tips.
    Ned, one of those larger pieces of firewood, oak or hickory about a foot in diameter, makes a dandy anvil for the bullet puller.
    Tip: Don't hold or use the inertia bullet puller like a hammer. Hold it loose in your hand like a flyswatter, and give it a quick 'snap' of the wrist like the flyswatter and hit the head square on the wood. When it hits, the head will rebound back fast. This helps pull the bullet. Trying to hold it firmly like a hammer driving a nail makes it more work to pull a bullet.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,967 Senior Member
    You need an inertia puller, even if you have an in-the-press collet puller...unless that is you want to tear down your set up every time you goof...
    I use both, but truthfully my inertia puller gets the most use.
    Ditto on the cotton in the bottom of the chamber.
    Ditto on tennmike's technique...
    My loading bench top is made of 5/8" steel...great for whacking on...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VizcacheroVizcachero New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    The RCBS collet puller does not grab some pistol bullets very well.
    It does not grab certain pistol bullets at all, let alone strongly enough to pull them.
    Inertia pullers are the solution in those cases.
    Moreover, if we talk about high accuracy bullets, for some target shooting work, don't bother to re-use those pulled bullets.
    Needless to say about BR bullets.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Be very careful if you use the RCBS puller like this. You should anyway, but make sure you are wearing safety glasses when you use it.
    64836.jpg
    I had one that had probably pulled about 100 bullets in it’s life. While using it, the plastic lock ring on it exploded. Literally. I was using it outside on a wood picnic table. A big sharp piece of it smacked a trailer behind me and ended up 20 yards from me after hitting the trailer. After reading user reviews on that puller, it seems that is common with that puller.
  • UglygunUglygun New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    I have one of the RCBS inertia pullers I picked up in 68. Has a metal handle, have replaced the o-ring that holds the thee piece collet a couple of times due to my fumble fingers. I use it for the occasional mistakes or thought to be mistakes. Rather have 50 do over’s than one "event". I have had occasion where someone gave me a half empty box of old cartridges they found in uncle or grandpa so in so's war chest after they passed. Pull the bullets, put the powder in the flower garden, the green cases in a can of oil and the slugs in an empty p-butter jar for safe keeping. Why keep them, might use them sometime in the next 20 years for something??
    I put a shot of silicone caulk in the business end of the puller. Works better than cotton balls & doesn't get messed up with the powder. For the number of cartridges I have dismantled over 40 years, I never could justify spending more on something that works just fine. Aint’ Broke no need to find a Fix.