Home Main Category Hunting

Pig Pen!!!

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    And thanks for the compliments, guys. It's fun to share.

This was a legendary event, Zee. I betting none of us can claim this kind of success in one night in our lives. I am guessing the porcine population will forever know October 9, 2016 as their Porkopolis! Please don't morph into General Kurtz... ;)

Excellent work, again... Just think how many shoulders you have to test 10mm on now.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,922 Senior Member
    I almost didn't shoot all of them. After the first theee in the pen and I saw the others outside..........I thought to myself..........I can come save them for another night and get a second hunt out of this.........but alas.......I had a job to do.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,583 Senior Member
    I almost didn't shoot all of them. After the first theee in the pen and I saw the others outside..........I thought to myself..........I can come save them for another night and get a second hunt out of this.........but alas.......I had a job to do.
    Just having that thought makes me smile
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

Excellent work, again... Just think how many shoulders you have to test 10mm on now.

D

Oooh... yeah, we need more science.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Oooh... yeah, we need more science.

I kept the little ones. The rancher took the rest.

No science. Except how good the wee ones will tast next weekend.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have seen one pig about the size of those little ones get shot. That little feller caught a 150gr .30 caliber bullet right behind the rib cage. Little pig still managed to drag himself about about 10 yards down hill before Dad caught him and damn near cut his head off, I mean down to the spine. Dad CLAIMED he thought that was how you were supposed to cut and animals throat.

We cut the ribs off and gave them to my Aunt as baby back ribs.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Very nice clean-up. I wonder if those last piglets smelled/saw the other (dead) pigs and made the fatal mistake of trying to rejoin the bunch.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Very nice clean-up. I wonder if those last piglets smelled/saw the other (dead) pigs and made the fatal mistake of trying to rejoin the bunch.

Oh yeah, they tracked them to my location. I'd drug them all along the same route to where I took the pic. Thempiglets walked right down that drag mark to me.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Oh yeah, they tracked them to my location. I'd drug them all along the same route to where I took the pic. Thempiglets walked right down that drag mark to me.
    I'll go ahead and add that to my stash of "when I go pig hunting" tricks. Nothing like live scent to pull them in, I guess.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,559 Senior Member
    He really needs to make a caja china and do 'em up that way...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    The .22 is good for dispatching not dead yet pigs
    That made me let out a snort.:spittingcoffee:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Wow. Sounds like more fun than pdogs

Mike

Damn near as much action too! That's why I say I'd almost rather hunt hogs than deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yummy, cochinillo!!! The video is in Spanish but you'll get the meaning. Looks at the cooking instruction and you can do this on your grill. It is a very typical dish in Spain (and it's taken VERY seriously!!!) and this guy is an award winning chef in a Restaurant that has kept the tradition alive! The oven is kept between 180 and 200 and it's typically a wood fire.
    I speak just enough Spanish to get my ass whipped! But if he would speak a little slower I may can pick up enough to have a vague idea of what he said.

But that looks so good! It looks good enough to eat!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jermanator wrote: »

The irony of this situation is that:

I shot that last piglet with the "not dead yet" gun high through the shoulders and dropped him. But, when I walked over to him......he was "not dead yet".

Instead of shooting him again with the "not dead yet" gun for which I had brought the stupid thing..........I choked him to death.

Let me just say..........it ain't as easy as one would think to choke out a 12 pound piglet. Sucker was rather tenacious and clinging to life. It took a little time and effort to deprive the brain of oxygen long enough to shut things down. Of course, after I started, it became a personal challenge to finish the task as opposed to pulling off and either shooting or stabbing the little ****!

I've choke out deer before and even a cat. It ain't ever easy. And yet.........I never learn.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,183 Senior Member
    I can only imagine the sound...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    I can only imagine the sound...

There is no air. There is no sound.

A good bit of thrashing, though.
    There is no air. There is no sound.

A good bit of thrashing, though.

I thought there'd at least be a squawk at the beginning!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    I thought there'd at least be a squawk at the beginning!

Only if you're choking a chicken.

Oh.....wait......
    Which reminds me, I've choked out dove before as well. When I didn't want to pull their heads off in front of my daughter while hunting.
    That reminds me of when my youngest daughter was 5 years old and two of the other kids had chickens in the fair. After the fair we had to kill and dress the chickens just so as not to bruise the breast and pack them very presentable for the person that bought them in the auction. I made the kid that raised that pin of chickens do it. But we always had like 5 times more chickens than showed so we had a better choice of good chickens to show. So daddy got to clean the rest. One day I ask my wife to give me a towel at the back door (I was doing this in the back yard) and I told her to keep Patricia inside so she wouldn't see me killing and cleaning them. But my wife got busy with other things and I'm out there killing chickens when I hear a little voice behind me say, "Daddy, can I kill one now?" It was Patricia. I shoulda known then that some day she'd make a good lawyer!
    Neighbor up the road would wring their necks - it was great fun watching the headless chickens run around.

One actually managed to fly up and get lodged in a tree one time.

They just sent me a picture. Their boy shot one of the two remaining piglets out of the pen this evening.

IMG_9343%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpstribjndg.jpg

I had told them to keep a gun handy. That the piglets would likely return or be hanging out there.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Damn the boy has it goin' ... Ropers, buckle and bolt-gun! :applause:

Now you need to teach him the field dress 'em! ... while keepin' from cutting himself :jester:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    cpj wrote: »
    with his face, you all must be related. Shallow gene pool and all that.

Why water down a good thing?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    Zee, do you know the details on the kids rifle? Looks interesting.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Believe it is a .222 Remington if I remember his dad talking about it. Can't remember the make.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    Believe it is a .222 Remington if I remember his dad talking about it. Can't remember the make.

Unzipped the piglet pretty good.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Does everybody in your town have the same face? Need a new movie..."The Man With No Face" .....goes to town......on hogs.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016