Triggers? (show)

mkk41mkk41 BannedPosts: 1,932 Senior Member
Been seeing the previews for this new gun-related show on The Military Channel. Looks better than the other gun shows lately.

http://press.discovery.com/us/mil/programs/triggers/
"There are no victims , only volunteers!"

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,273 Senior Member
    I've been seeing the ads for that...looks interesting...but even in the previews I see one guy explaining to another that the M-14 has been around since 1947...he only missed the mark by a decade...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • susbus72susbus72 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    To my understanding that is not actually false.. It was developed to originally be used in wwII but by the time it arrived the war was long over
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,156 Senior Member
    Their writers and editors need a swift kick in the gonads. In describing actions in the Pacific where a Marine used his M1 to earn the CMH, the word "submachinegun" was used not once, but twice to describe a 1919 Browning air-cooled. How that could make it past whatever passes for "panels" on the Military Channel, let alone their supposedly knowledgeable host is major cause for -->:bang:

But like SOG and American Guns they seem to be going for more "ooooh" and "aaaah" than giving much of a real education.

The common curse of the average documentary seems to be an assumption on the part of the producers that the audience has ZERO prior knowledge of the subject. My wife can't stand Food Network anymore because she learned how to dice an onion and boil water years ago. Likewise, most of us know that Pearl Harbor got bombed on 12/07/41, and don't need ten minutes of filler about it in a show about the Battle of Midway. I'd like to see something a little beyond what the average teenager with a shred of curiosity could pick up in a couple days in the school library. A show for the true geek would be a nice change.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I have seen this advertised to on the military channel. I will have to agree with BigSlug on this on. If one is going to do a TV documentary, then get the facts correct.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • StrissStriss New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The common curse of the average documentary seems to be an assumption on the part of the producers that the audience has ZERO prior knowledge of the subject. My wife can't stand Food Network anymore because she learned how to dice an onion and boil water years ago. Likewise, most of us know that Pearl Harbor got bombed on 12/07/41, and don't need ten minutes of filler about it in a show about the Battle of Midway. I'd like to see something a little beyond what the average teenager with a shred of curiosity could pick up in a couple days in the school library. A show for the true geek would be a nice change.

No doubt
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I DVRed the M1911 episode. What a waste of my time. I didn't even make it all the way through. Missing in action: John Moses Browning, the trials, different versions, etc. But they did have a wheellock, flintlocks, duckfoot, trapdoor rifle, SAA, etc. ?????????? I don't think I'll bother watching again. Just not my can of tuna.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Their writers and editors need a swift kick in the gonads. In describing actions in the Pacific where a Marine used his M1 to earn the CMH, the word "submachinegun" was used not once, but twice to describe a 1919 Browning air-cooled. How that could make it past whatever passes for "panels" on the Military Channel, let alone their supposedly knowledgeable host is major cause for -->:bang:

But like SOG and American Guns they seem to be going for more "ooooh" and "aaaah" than giving much of a real education.

The Military Channel is usually more accurate than the History Channel. I don't know how all this got by them. But if you think about it, most all the people creating this show weren't even a dream in there parent's minds during the war. Heck, some of their parents weren't even born yet. All that coupled with the fact that schools don't teach history as such anymore, the kids get the revised version of indoctrination.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,273 Senior Member
    susbus72 wrote: »
    To my understanding that is not actually false.. It was developed to originally be used in wwII but by the time it arrived the war was long over

The T20(which looked nothing like the M14) prototypes served as test beds for Springfield Armory's attempts to improve the Garand between 1945 and 1950... The prototype (T44) was adopted by the Army as the M14 in 1957, tooling up at the Armory happened in 1958 and the first issues of the M14 happened in 1959. If the M14 had been around since 1947 it surely would have seen action in the Korean War...which it didn't.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"