Got a New Ruger #1 Coming in 460 S&W

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,114 Senior Member
I was farting around Ruger's website looking to see if they had anything cool and unique floating around. They did. Then they had this red button that says "order". I should know to never touch the red button. It linked me to Davidson's Gun Genie where they had 2 in stock. Now they have 1. Damn you Gun Genie!!!

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1MediumSporter/specSheets/11340.html

I am going to write this one off as a research expense for development of the .452 Jerm since what I am trying to do is get .460 S&W ballistics in a cartridge that will fit a certain set of parameters in a bolt action rifle. Having a 460 S&W rifle to actually see what to expect is a good first step. It will be kind of cool having a rifle that can shoot .45 Cowboy Special, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W. Besides, since I can't seem to hit crap with a revolver in the same chambering at this time, I might have better luck with a rifle.

And this is all Beartracker's fault!!! I am getting tired of blaming Wambli, BP, and Bullsi so somebody has to take the blame (and it sure isn't going to be me).

It should get to my LGS for pick up in about a week or so.

Replies

• irondukeironduke Member Posts: 143 Member
    I like your justification.

I also like the .452 Jerm project. That is a cool idea. I have often thought of something similar, but I want a 458 bullet for sheer versatility in bullets. Still, I can't think of a situation where the selection of 452 cal bulletswouldn't be fine ouside of Africa. A 200 gr Flex tip bullet will flatten deer, and a 495 gr Cast Performance WFNGCwill punch thru and thru about anything.

I was thinking a 284 Win as a base case, because the WSMs won't work in a 98 Mauser, but that was just my parameter. But something like the 8x68mm case might work as well
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    The Number one is oen of my favs! Very nice!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    That .460 might be fun to shoot.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,114 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    A Ruger No.1 in any chambering, is a cool rifle.

Very true!
    NN wrote: »
    That .460 might be fun to shoot.
    Yes, it should be a hoot!
    ironduke wrote: »
    I like your justification.

I also like the .452 Jerm project. That is a cool idea. I have often thought of something similar, but I want a 458 bullet for sheer versatility in bullets. Still, I can't think of a situation where the selection of 452 cal bulletswouldn't be fine ouside of Africa. A 200 gr Flex tip bullet will flatten deer, and a 495 gr Cast Performance WFNGCwill punch thru and thru about anything.

I was thinking a 284 Win as a base case, because the WSMs won't work in a 98 Mauser, but that was just my parameter. But something like the 8x68mm case might work as well
    In .458, take a look at the .458 American...
    http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=341
    The idea that I have is to have a bolt rifle for deer that is legal in the "shotgun only" states that are starting to allow rifles that take straight walled pistol cartridges. My eyes are focused on that 200gr .452 bullet to do that job. Having the energy is a non issue. It is having something that can shoot out to 200 yards relatively flat.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,971 Senior Member
    That's going to be fun...Congratulations...need real pics as soon as it's home...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    Reloading Data Center shows 1796 fps with the 395 gr WLNGC out of a 10.7" barrel with 36.8 gr of Lil' Gun.

Should be good for over 2,000 out of the rifle barrel. Darn near .400 Jeffery performance!
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Sounds good and I bet that will be one sweet shooting round in a #1.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Dude. COOOOOOL!!!

Jerm, I'd like to hear more about your cat project.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Nice rifle!

I bought a # 1 International in 7x57 earlier this year.

Good workmanship, nice wood, and made in America!!

Jim
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,002 Senior Member
    So, in that close-quarters pig hunting emergency when you have to fend off the "porcine wave attack" you drop the trim, lightweight, and handy No.1 to hang from its 3-point tactical sling and go to your backup. . .a handgun almost as large as the rifle. . .:jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Jerm, I'd like to hear more about your cat project.
    A bit later on. I still have some "people" I need to talk to. If this works as planned, it will be pretty sweet. I think the best bet is to go with a proprietary cartridge. I will keep you guys informed as it develops.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Jerm I helped develop a wildcat, and I know some guys who have developed and built several. If you ever have questions drop me a line!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.