Home Main Category Hunting

PA Muzzleloader Doe Bagged

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
Today was opening day of Pennsylvania's antlerless muzzleloader season.

Shot this one at an odd time - 3:45PM

This was my first time hunting this property and my morning hunt was dead. Whenever that happens, I usually change spots and show up pretty early for the afternoon hunt. It paid off.

The landowner drove me up the hill on his tractor and then headed back down. I found a spot in some open hardwoods that gave me a view of the pasture, as well. Just as I got to thinking, "this looks like a really good spot," I see the shadow of a doe about 100 yards out in the woods. I hurry up and sit, leaning against a tree trunk. Within a minute or so, she comes clear at 76 lasered yards. I let loose with a 350 gr. Harvester Saber Tooth bullet and 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209 from my T/C Omega. The bullet entered behind the right shoulder and exited through the left shoulder. The deer went about 60 yards and piled up, not 5 minutes after the tractor had pulled away. I had been itching to use that bullet on something and today was finally a fulfilled opportunity. The blood trail was...easy to read. A strong, red path of lung and blood is never a bad thing.

Not a bad result considering I only had 1 day to hunt for this antlerless muzzleloader season!

PA%20antlerless%20muzzeloader%20-%2015%20Oct%2016%20-%20doe%20with%20TC%20Omega_zpsjduuxfed.jpg

PA%20antlerless%20muzzeloader%20-%2015%20Oct%2016%20-%20entrance%20wound_zpszw6brodb.jpg

PA%20antlerless%20muzzeloader%20-%2015%20Oct%2016%20-%20blood%20trail_zpsqg61mdbg.jpg

PA%20antlerless%20muzzeloader%20-%2015%20Oct%2016%20-%20blood%20trail%202_zps1visyxwk.jpg
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,653 Senior Member
    Congrats :up:

Our bowseason opened today, but it was too dadgummed hot (80s) so I stayed home and watched football :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Paul -

Thanks! It was damned hot for PA, too. Didn't break 80, but came close. I actually asked the landowner to give me a lift up the hill to my spot because it was so hot, I would've sweated through my clothes climbing up there and froze when the evening cold rolled in (30s at night). Ironically, it wouldn't have mattered as the deer went down so early.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,939 Senior Member
    Well done!!

You are the traveling hunter of the forum hands down!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Thanks, Zee! Like you, I'm just blessed to know some good people who have made it possible, and easier to have a place to hunt and get it done on the road. Yes, I do research and scout even when a farmer says an area holds animals, but there's no doing a lot of these hunts without the kindness of others who let me on their land.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Remember.....2nd week-end in January for the annual squirrel hunt! You'll get to see what a Southern Wildlife Plantation looks like!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That worked out just right for you.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    That worked out just right for you.

It sure did. Rarely does it go down like this one.
    Remember.....2nd week-end in January for the annual squirrel hunt! You'll get to see what a Southern Wildlife Plantation looks like!
    I can't wait!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Fantastic, 5 min. in and ya scored, did the farmer drive back up to get you and the doe??

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Fantastic, 5 min. in and ya scored, did the farmer drive back up to get you and the doe??

JAY

That's the funny thing, Jay. The afternoon hunt was so fast, and the tractor so slow, I almost could've flagged him down to scoop up the deer. He had offered to come scoop up it up if I scored just before he dropped me off. I called his cell to ask if he could come back up, but he couldn't hear the phone due to engine noise until he got all the way back down the hill. By some miracle, another family member was driving a UTV right past me after the shot and helped me gather it up. That hill is more like a mountain and it would've been an awful drag back down.
    Six-Gun wrote: »

PA%20antlerless%20muzzeloader%20-%2015%20Oct%2016%20-%20doe%20with%20TC%20Omega_zpsjduuxfed.jpg
    What's the yellow patch I see in her ear?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That's the PA deer tag. Gotta attach it inside of the ear. Their hunting guides are actually really well laid out and make it easy to find this stuff for non-residents, which some states suck at doing in my experience. The ear tag thing is on page 2:

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/Documents/2016-17%20Hunting%20Trapping%20Digest/Deer.pdf
    That's the PA deer tag. Gotta attach it inside of the ear.
    Okay, thanks.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,535 Senior Member
    Got my first FL deer like that. Inlaws were up and wouldnt leave. Finally they took off, I put my stuff on and walked into the woods behind the house, kicked up 4, got to the stand and they came back. less than 1/2 hour total. Its nice when it works.

Carry 2, 6" tie wraps (zip ties) with your lic, that way you can zip the tag in and if it is a ugly drag, zip the ear closed so it wont get torn out.

I didnt go out. I like to save the doe tag for FL in case I get lucky in reg rifle.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Oh, yeah - I keep several zip ties of various sizes in the plastic bag that holds my licenses for that very reason. If you look closely at that pic, you'll see that it's ziptied in. They are also handy for sealing the intestine up before I cut-n-de-butt the deer.

I honestly would've held onto the tag for a bigger doe or a different season, but I really wanted to use this load. I also don't know how many other days I'll get to hunt PA this season. I figured that 1 in hand...ya know.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Luis- - - -there's a new Tennessee regulation you need to know about- - - - -"antlerless" no longer means horns less than 3 inches. If it's got horns showing at all, it's a buck and counts against the annual buck limit. I guess too many immature bucks were being taken as does under the 3 a day rule.
    Jerry
    Oh, wow - good to know that, Jerry! That's the first I heard of that. I'll be looking really closely this year.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Congratulations Luis on another successful hunt. I've only had one of those "5 Minute" hunts once in my lifetime. Next time, try that Tip Curtis rifle. Remember; keep yer powder dry.............robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Thanks, Robin! When I get down to TN, I'll give that Tip curtis gun a try. It's not legal for PA, but it will be down there.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Cool!
    Backstraps for dinner!

I caught a bass like that once. Tossed a crank bait in some grass close to shore, felt a tug and gave jerk. Bass come outta the water like a kite, almost hit me in the face. No fight, no drama. Go figure.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Cool!
    Backstraps for dinner!

I caught a bass like that once. Tossed a crank bait in some grass close to shore, felt a tug and gave jerk. Bass come outta the water like a kite, almost hit me in the face. No fight, no drama. Go figure.

Hah! That had to be quite a visual.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,092 Senior Member
    Fresh venison fondue:applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,381 Senior Member
    Congratulations
    Your plan certainly came together. :up:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I thought Pennsylvania only allowed flintlocks for deer hunting! Guess that changed!

I've got the perfect .40cal Early Reading Pennsylvania Rifle that's perfect for deer......I'll let you use it if you want to do it the "correct" way! It's a right-handed lock, however.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member
    Nice meat deer...hard to beat one that size for the table....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,535 Senior Member
    I thought Pennsylvania only allowed flintlocks for deer hunting! Guess that changed!

I've got the perfect .40cal Early Reading Pennsylvania Rifle that's perfect for deer......I'll let you use it if you want to do it the "correct" way! It's a right-handed lock, however.
    They added a early week whatever muzzleloader antlerless season to keep the crying down. Post Christmas is flintlock only.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

You can use a flinter all day in PA. My issue is that my .36 cal is too light of a caliber to hunt deer there legally.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Today was opening day of Pennsylvania's antlerless muzzleloader season.

Shot this one at an odd time - 3:45PM

This was my first time hunting this property and my morning hunt was dead. Whenever that happens, I usually change spots and show up pretty early for the afternoon hunt. It paid off.

The landowner drove me up the hill on his tractor and then headed back down. I found a spot in some open hardwoods that gave me a view of the pasture, as well. Just as I got to thinking, "this looks like a really good spot," I see the shadow of a doe about 100 yards out in the woods. I hurry up and sit, leaning against a tree trunk. Within a minute or so, she comes clear at 76 lasered yards. I let loose with a 350 gr. Harvester Saber Tooth bullet and 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209 from my T/C Omega. The bullet entered behind the right shoulder and exited through the left shoulder. The deer went about 60 yards and piled up, not 5 minutes after the tractor had pulled away. I had been itching to use that bullet on something and today was finally a fulfilled opportunity. The blood trail was...easy to read. A strong, red path of lung and blood is never a bad thing.

Not a bad result considering I only had 1 day to hunt for this antlerless muzzleloader season!

Congrats Six, you are a truly great hunter. I love Muzzle Loaders. I want to take my ML out and get me a doe too!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,864 Senior Member
    Thanks, cpj/snake/Ned -

Next muzzleloader that's coming out will be the flintlock variety. I'm going to try and drive down to Teach's place just after Thanksgiving and give that .36 cal a legit workout!

By the way, I can't praise those Redfield scopes enough. They take some extremely stout recoil from full-house muzzleloader charges and keep on going. For a scope in their price range, they are amazing to behold. The one on that gun right now is a 4-12x40mm Revolution.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    Congratulations. That would have to be the easiest hunt you have had for a while. Good hustle my friend.

Love the last 2 pics of the blood trail.............even a blind man could follow that.

( Waitspatientlyforaninvitationtoabacksteakdinner.................just kidding)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....