Thoughts/Experience with these tires?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,726 Senior Member
Had some unnoticed sidewall damage to one of the tires on my truck. Found it today while doing some other work. Wasn't sure how bad, so I went to a couple of different places, both told me that tire needed to be replaced (Thumbnail sized chunk gouged out of the sidewall).
Since the tires I had were down to 6/32s tread depth and new ones have 14/32s, I wasn't going to subject my differential and transfer case (4WD) to the rotational difference of one new, 3 old tires.

Went with BFGoodrich All Terrain TA KO2 (265/75x16)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2

I remember Dan J was a fan of the original KOs, however the KO2s are supposedly 20% tougher in the sidewalls and have even better traction.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Any quirks I need to be aware of?

Any problems with them?

Thanks.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The ones I had lasted forever. Good in snow, not a mud tire but pretty good in mud too.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,726 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    The ones I had lasted forever. Good in snow, not a mud tire but pretty good in mud too.
    Thanks
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Great tires, when I drove a one tire wonder Chevy I could still get around in 4-5" sloppy mud. They wore great too.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    On my truck they made a fair share of road noise, but may not so much on a different truck.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Great tires, when I drove a one tire wonder Chevy I could still get around in 4-5" sloppy mud. They wore great too.
    early wrote: »
    On my truck they made a fair share of road noise, but may not so much on a different truck.
    Got on the interstate to check them out and they're quieter than my worn Michelin LTX/2 were. Have less than 10 total miles, so not a lot of experience with them yet.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    They're all in ever buy. Great tires. Superb wet traction, little to no noise, great life. Rotate every oil change, they should last 60k plus
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Just make sure they will give you traction and climb the incline and maybe wet grass at the next SE Shoot! :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Thanks Joe :beer:

BC, even the old tires would do that

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,602 Senior Member
    I put those on my GMC a few months back and I've had them on five other trucks. The only issue I had with the GMC is that I went from a non-agressive street tread to those and lost a little over 2mpg. When we put new tires on the SuperDuty, I'll probably use them also.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Thanks Steve :beer:

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    I just replaced a set of the original KOs with KO2s on the FJ Cruiser. The newer ones are noiser on the road, and are missing the cool and offload useful bead/ rim protecting flange that I really liked on the original.

Besides that, great traction on rocks, dirt and sand.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,122 Senior Member
    I did a lot of research on line prior to buying my four General Grabber AT2's, and every tire test from every source raved about the KO2s. Only reason I didn't buy 'em was $$$. The Generals were more than good enough for my modest offroad needs, and were substantially cheaper than the KO2s.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I just replaced a set of the original KOs with KO2s on the FJ Cruiser. The newer ones are noiser on the road, and are missing the cool and offload useful bead/ rim protecting flange that I really liked on the original.

Besides that, great traction on rocks, dirt and sand.
    Strange you mention noisier. They're quieter than my Michelin LTX/2s I replaced (~40k miles on them)

Thanks Vic

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I traded in my Jeep with those tires on with 60,000 miles on them and they STILL had plenty of life on them. Traded the Hummer with 135,000 miles on it and only on its 2nd set of them on. Yes I'm a HUGE fan!!!

So, what you're saying is you had to get rid of two decent vehicles after having those tires put on? :jester:

B.F. Goodrich is good stuff! :applause:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Thanks Wambli. :beer:

CG, the KO2s may be, but the LongTrail TAs that came on my truck were JUNK. 26K life and even before they wore out, anything worse than a heavy dew and they got squirrely :cuss: