Gun Safes

gungeek71gungeek71 New MemberPosts: 2 New Member
I work in the banking product industry. When a bank upgrades their safe usually I am asked to scrap the old one. I have been letting my riggers just keep them but just decided to start having them delivered to a buddies warehouse. I am about to convert one to a gun safe for my personal use as I have grown out of the one I have. I am wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to maybe start selling these either as is or converted.

I am thinking for the small lockers, as is, around $200 or so and for a safe, as is, maybe around $1000. Nothing set in stone and would consider possibly trading. Of course I am just guessing at this point and trying to find a starting point that is fair.

They would not be "show pieces" as most gun safes are but would definitely be a safe and secure way to store guns. I have attached a picture of the safe I am going to be converting. The smaller lockers could be used for ammo, powder or other reloading items, or pistols.

Do any of you think there would be an interest in these safes as gun safes or ammo safes?

I welcome all comments and thanks in advance.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,112 Senior Member
    Welcome, any number of manufacturers make similar safes in the price range you described, not to discourage free enterprise, but you are reinventing the wheel.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Welcome, any number of manufacturers make similar safes in the price range you described, not to discourage free enterprise, but you are reinventing the wheel.

Yeah, but those bank safes that I've seen are way more stout than any regular gun safe I've seen in that price range.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    As a gun safe, maybe no so much. On the other hand, I have NO doubt that you'd have no trouble selling them. $200, for a safe place to put stuff, you bet.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,615 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    As a gun safe, maybe no so much. On the other hand, I have NO doubt that you'd have no trouble selling them. $200, for a safe place to put stuff, you bet.

:agree: Put ZERO $$$ in them, and sell them for less.... Let the buyer do the converting for what they want them for...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    The ones in the pictures? I would have to pass. My dad has a bank safe and it don't look nothing like those.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    Sounds great.............how much is shipping if I ordered one..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • gungeek71gungeek71 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you all for the comments.

The big safe is a TL15 and I am not sure of the fire rating. The smaller "lockers" are kept in the vault so they don't have a TL or fire rating as far as I am aware. If you can get in to the vault then you should have no problem getting in to those. Most banks in my area are going away from lockers in the vault because they take up precious space for safety deposit boxes.

The big safe is the one I am converting. I plan to design the interior specifically for long guns with a section for ammo that runs top to bottom. I just applied for my C&R FFL and am going to need the extra space once approved :usa:

I am going to take pictures of what I do to the interior and exterior and only offer it if someone is interested and doesn't want to do it themselves otherwise it will be as is. I am checking with local gun shops, pawn shops, small businesses, and will probably donate to the local sheriff and police if they need/want one (I live in a small town). It is not like I get 100's of these each year. It is more like 10 maybe 20 a year.