Home Main Category Personal Defense

If you're going to CC, do it RIGHT.

GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior MemberPosts: 1,089 Senior Member
Charges filed after man shot in leg during disturbance in Overland Park

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article107889022.html
I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Must have been a dispossessed Liberal.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    The fact that the dude allowed somebody to snatch the gun from him tells me he probably shouldn't be carrying in the first place. I can't believe the fella that snatched the gun isn't facing tougher charges. He may have intended to do harm from the beginning, but I'm guessing he wanted to make a point about 'tough guys' carrying guns. The fact is, he assaulted two people with a gun and shot one of them. Why isn't the charge attempted homicide, or at least assault with intent?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,864 Senior Member
    I don't know how the law reads where the incident occurred, but in GA Aggravated Battery is more serious than "Attempted Homicide" which would be called "Aggravated Assault" here. Sounds like he was charged appropriately from here.

When interpreting laws, it's all in the language of the law. We don't have a charge called "Attempted Homicide" or "Assault with Intent." What would intent be? All of those things are illegal here, but they have different titles.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    Hell, I don't know...I could be remembering a line from Hill Street Blues. The terms used 'sounded' like less punishment than I thought should be the case... I'm no Lawyer and could be getting worked up over language. I forget that not all locales use the same terminology for a given crime. As long as this idiot is looking at the possibility of serious time, I'm happy.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,864 Senior Member
    Here, Ag Battery is to cause the use of a part of the body. Or like cutting off a part of the body. Shooting at someone without hitting them would be "Ag Assault." Or any assault with a deadly weapon without making contact. The contact aggravates the charge. The defense against Ag Battery is more difficult, since you don't have to prove intent, like you would with some other charges.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.