Home Main Category Hunting

Pheasant Opener

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,934 Senior Member
Another opener in the books! A little different because my father didn't make the trip. He said he didn't have the energy. The rest of us carried on with pride and dignity!

IMG_1874_zpsk5p1jxma.jpg

Tough hunting with many crops still in. We found pheasants in both sunflowers and corn. Not so many in the grass. We shot more grouse this year than we have the last few. It was also warm and my lab Glen really struggled. The last day was cooler and he had a lot more spunk. We also ran into some nasty sand burs!

IMG_1871_zpsshgnucom.jpg

IMG_4260_zpszwc5wvww.jpg

I think bird numbers are ok. When the grain comes out, I believe the hunting will get very good.

IMG_1865_zpsgmgz9kfx.jpg

IMG_1864_zpsrgrphfbj.jpg

IMG_1880_zpsponmd3x5.jpg

Haven't hunted around here yet. Probably this weekend.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    I was supposed to go this weekend, did not work out, maybe later in the year, that is a good start on the season:applause:!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Beautiful opening day pics! I love seeing those grouse - one day...

Yeah, the standing crops are gonna keep things tough. It's hard to work grass when the birds can just bail out into corn/grains. It's especially bad for those who can't access the private land where the stuff is growing to shake those birds out.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Looks great! If you ever need an extra pair of boots to drive birds and shoot, PLEASE call... I will fly in. My absolute favorite hunting. What loads / guns did you use?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,934 Senior Member
    I just bought a new Franchi Afinity, but let my brother carry it. I used my old standard 870 pump.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    Nice pictures!

I would love to do that one day. But, I probably won't get to.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,317 Senior Member
    Nice...I just love hunting ditch parrots.....maybe next season we'll pull off a combination deer/pheasant hunt....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Some years ago a friend and I went pheasant hunting out at Chamberlain, South Dakota....my first time being in the Dakotas. Beautiful and unusual country....

It was an experience that I still wonder about....
    I used one of my smoothbores, a 16ga cylinder bore flintlock with an effective range of 20-25 yards max if that! Maybe 15-20 yards is more accurate! I didn't give a damn about killing a bunch of birds, I simply wanted to see the country! BUT.....

The limit was 3 birds a day, and I killed 9 birds with 10 shots, and I've never really believed this! These were supposed to be wild birds, but I strongly question this! Had to get up to about 8-10 yards to get a bird off the ground with dogs.(About the effective range of my smoothbore) Anyhow, when the birds got off the ground I quickly noted that they would steeply climb to about 25-30 feet then level off and fly like hell to get out of the area. I tried to anticipate exactly when the maximum height was reached and leveling off was coming then led the bird a couple of feet and pulled the trigger. Total success, but I was suspicious! Our guide, fellow who owned the land/ranch, was always behind me 8-10 yards coaching me on what to expect, etc. I got the idea that when I fired he, too, was letting go with his high brass shells and was bringing the bird down for me! I fired 2-3 times and very quickly spun around to see if he, too, had just fired! Never saw anything that made me think that he, too, had let go with a round....just the opposite! But there's no way in the world that I was knocking those birds down like that! NO WAY!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    Wish we had pheasant
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 790 Senior Member
    We had the MN opener last weekend but it was too dang hot. 75 degrees just isn't fun hunting IMHO. I'm going tomorrow though!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Awesome! Glad the bird population is good, usually am able to make a trip up around the Murdo are every year....fun stuff.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks mouth watering good!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Great hunt, brings back old memories, we would try to hunt twice a year, west river out of Mobridge, my favorite was Huns, never cared for ruff's , I'd trade mine for Huns.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT