computer/tablet question

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,288 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    They don't make quality ECAD or schematic capture software for apples. There is probably some cheap software out there but not what you need to design highspeed, high density electronics. Too expensive to develop for multiple platforms. Were talking 100K/yr per seat software.
    This is very true - although at one time such software - on the higher end at least - ran on Unix/Linux or Sun. I've been out of that business for over a decade so I don't know if that's still true or not.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    My Macbook is instant on, instant off, runs cool, runs fast, does everything I want. We have three MacBooks in our home right now, and all our kids use 'em too. Haven't looked at a PC in years...except for the I have to use for work. They may be expensive, but I won't ever go back to a PC.

Now, in answer to the original question, for building resumes and making corrections and posting them and surfing jobs, a tablet isn't going to satisfy.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Thanks for your thoughts. If you and wambli, both Apple users, advise other than apple for what I need to do, sounds to me like I better listen.

As far as my hard drive and laptop, I'll get around to taking pics of it some time. Out running around and getting stuff done. Will get to it and put pics up as soon as I can.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    It doesn't need to be an apple, but at a minimum, you need a laptop.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Ok guys. Here's the hard drive and connector that's in my laptop. The laptop is a HP Pavilion G7

image_zpsesnccela.jpeg
    Also, I went onto HP's website and found all the drivers and software available for download. No idea how I could download them and get them onto the new hard drive. Could I download them on another computer, put them on a disc or discs, pop that in the laptop with the new hard drive and go from there?
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    http://www.geek.com/apple/apple-uses-windows-on-mac-pro-production-line-1596141/

https://www.quora.com/Do-Apple-engineers-designers-of-Apple-products-exclusively-use-iMacs-and-Mac-Pros

Info may be out of date by now. There might be or might have been one or two pieces of production equipment that are only available with a Windows-based OS.

Engineering software will probably run on macs that will run windows software but the the big software vendors don't support it so they won't sell licenses to apple users. When I say run, I don't mean flawlessly. That's the problem, Mentor Graphics and Cadence, the two biggest electrical engineering software companies in the country, don't want to have to fix bugs peculiar to macs when 95% of engineers use windows. Same with ERP software. Business runs on windows. Macs are for picture editing and liberals.:jester:
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,104 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    ................Macs are for picture editing and liberals.:jester:

It's a little more extensive than that. 95% of the printing and publishing industry computer operations are run on Macs. They are also used a lot in the music and movie industries as well. I like Apple because the GUI interface has always been much more efficient and easier to use. Not only that, Apple computers are more user friendly, in that bugs in the hard drives and software glitches can be corrected using simple software programs, rather than reformatting your HD every time something goes wrong. I have been using Apple since 1989 and absolutely wouldn't switch for anything.

I guess there IS something to be said about liberals using them though...LOL
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Jay wrote: »
    Also, I went onto HP's website and found all the drivers and software available for download. No idea how I could download them and get them onto the new hard drive. Could I download them on another computer, put them on a disc or discs, pop that in the laptop with the new hard drive and go from there?

Ok, as far as the hard drive goes, what you have is a 500 Gig SATA drive - which can be replaced with a Sata drive from just about anywhere. 500 GB is pretty much "entry level" these days, so you could get one like it, or bigger. If you weren't using much space, you could even go a bit smaller.

To get back up and running, you're going to need a "restore disk", which re-installs the factory image. What you have on the website are updates to the drivers and software that cannot be used until the operating system is installed from the disks. If surfing the HP site doesn't give you a link to purchase the disks (usually about $20), it may be that your model is so old that HP isn't carrying the disks anymore. You can sometimes buy them from a 3rd party reseller - I've had varying luck with same - or do a "cold install" with a generic windows install disk of whatever your laptop was shipped with, THEN using HP's website to get all the drivers put back. To do the latter, look for the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, it will tell you what OS and version its licensed for, and more importantly, have the license key.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Thanks for your help zorba. I'll start looking for a HD and a restore disk. Teach me to not keep a backup.....
    Jay wrote: »
    Teach me to not keep a backup.....

I think most of us learn that one the hard way. I tell my users, when the subject comes up, about the time I had no less than SIX copies of my development code. I was *really* glad I had that many, because due to a "perfect storm", I once had to go "all the way out" to copy #6 to get my world running again. Of course it was a crisis, blah, blah, blah... :blah:

You can't have too many backups.

Oh, and your SATA hard drive needs to be a 2.5 inch - NOT a 3.5 inch! It wouldn't be fun if you overlooked that factoid... :silly:
    7200 RPM performs a little better than 5400, but either will work. So would 10,000 RPM, but they get pricey. If you want to get an SSD, I recommend the Samsung Evo 850.

Awesome. Thanks. Would suck to order the wrong size. Just plug it in and leave it hangin out of the bottom....
    Its amazing what you can fix with duct tape... (!!!)

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,659 Senior Member
    I'll reiterate my suggestion to get a SSD. they're totally worth the extra cost. Looking at prices a 250gb will run about $80 and can get 500 GB for about $150 or less.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,334 Senior Member
    The Dell computer we've been using for a lot of years has been getting a little wonky. About a third of the time when I change pages I get a "website is not responding" error message. I'm wondering if the hard drive is about to go T-U on me. What's the best way to clone information onto a new one?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    The Dell computer we've been using for a lot of years has been getting a little wonky. About a third of the time when I change pages I get a "website is not responding" error message. I'm wondering if the hard drive is about to go T-U on me. What's the best way to clone information onto a new one?
    Jerry

I'm not a PC guy, but based on what I have experienced with browsers and error messages, it could be that your browser is outdated or it needs updated plug-ins.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I'll reiterate my suggestion to get a SSD. they're totally worth the extra cost. Looking at prices a 250gb will run about $80 and can get 500 GB for about $150 or less.

I can affirm this. My 8 year old laptop HD took a slow-death crap a few months ago, so I managed to clone the data from the internal HD and for a short while ran it from an USB connected external SSD. While being run externally I didn't really notice a performance increase, but once I took the box apart and installed the drive inside, what a difference in start-up and software operation speed it made.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:

Thanks. I'll look into that. I can probably swing $100-$150. Cheaper than a new laptop, for sure.
    Jermanator wrote: »

I'm not familiar with this particular product, but it looks good!

Your hard drive probably isn't causing this problem - download Western Digital's disk diagnostic (among others) and run the SMART test on it. Most likely, your Dell needs a cleanup and update - but troubleshooting via Internet fora is fraught with peril!!!!

They run faster than a striped ape!

A quick look on the HP website shows a DVD "recovery kit" available for this laptop, 64 bit, Windows 7. Is that what I'll need?
    Old thread update.

I just now got around to getting my old g7 up and running. Of course, now HP no longer offers recovery kits for it. I was able to order one from a recovery disc website for $27. I ended up going with a fairly plane Jane replacement HD. Maybe should have gone SSD as some of y'all suggested. But I also bought a new iPad mini and 128gb flash drive, so I tried to keep the cost down a little. I did upgrade to a 1tb hard drive though. Guess I'll see what happens when the recovery disc gets here.
2»