Scope Selection Question

weshodweshod New MemberPosts: 26 New Member
I am going to purchase a 7mm-08 remington mostly for deer and coyote, have a .243 and 7mm rem mag already and this seems like the best choice for an in between caliber. My question is what is your choice for a good scope in the 5-600 dollar range? I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 on my .243 and love it and a Sightron 3-9 on the 7mm Mag and have been impressed for a cheaper scope. Had a leupold vxII and was not impressed. So open for suggestions. Thinking 4-14x40.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Replies

• weshodweshod New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Guess I should have been clear I wouldn't be opposed to trying a VXIII but I wasn't pleased with the VXII that I had. May have just been the particluar scope that I had. It heald zero fine but was not very clear.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    7mm-08 a great scope would be a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm. I have one coming but will be using my Weaver 6x power through December just because I want to use a fixed power for a while.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,186 Senior Member
    I'm running a 4-12 Redfield on my 7mm-08...
    Nikon, Burris, Sightron...all make good glass...pick one...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    Leupold 2.5-8x36 on a lightweight, walkin' around gun.

Leupold 4.5-14x40 on a heavier rig.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    My 7mm/08 sports a Leupold VX3 ( not VXIII) 3.5x10x40 and it is crystal clear. It is equal to the Zeiss Diavari MC coatings, 3x9x36 on my 6.5x55. I would recommend either one.

DSC00103.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I highly recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for those who are not happy with Leupold Optics. Check out the Optics Forum at SWFA and read up on the Conquest. It's pretty well recogized as the best scope in it's class for the money ($399 at most places). Not as cosmetically attractive as a Leupy, but far superior optically to most eyes.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
    Sorry, didn't see the 4.5-14 part. I have been really happy with my Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with just a Plex Reticle. It is bright, clear with good contrast and holds a zero and tracks great. Also not a long as a lot of 4.5-14's are. The regular Plex models are kind of hard to find as most come with the Ballistic Plex Reticle, but they are out there.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    I have a VX3L 3.5-10X50 on my Tikka 7mm-08. Does everything I need, especially good in low light. The 50mm 3L uses the same rings as the 40mm due to the cutout on the end of the scope. ( means it has the same profile on the rifle)

Check it out here...

http://www.basspro.com/Leupold-VX3L-Rifle-Scopes/product/10202892/90637
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    I have 4-12 and 4-16 Monarchs. Great glass for the money.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,921 Senior Member
    Why were you not impressed with a VX-2?
    The VX-2 is not a VX-3 by any means, but it ain't bad either. I love both Nikon and Leos. They're both quality scopes. The VX-2 for whatever reason is about $50-$100 higher on average than its Nikon counter part, the Buckmaster. But they both have approx. 92% light Transmission. But the VX-2 has the capability of a reticle change where I'm not sure about the Nikon. Both have a great warranty though.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake,
    As I said I just never felt like my VX-2 was very clear especially for the price. It may have just been the particular scope that I had. My Nikon Omega and Monarch are both noticably clearer than the Leupold was. I am not totally opposed to purchasing another Leupold scope, just cautious. I have Leupold wind river mesa bino's and love them. Also am looking at Zeiss Conquest scopes as an option to go on the 7mm-08.
    weshod, I doubt the Zeiss Conquest will disappoint you. They tend to be a bit bigger than Leupold scopes of the same power, but the superior optical quality is worth it to me. The 3-9x40 is a no brainer in it's class, but the higher powered Zeiss scopes are kind of pricy. Not saying they aren't worth it--just pricier than Leupold.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,954 Senior Member
    Weshod, Welcome to the forum :beer:
    I have been extremely pleased with Sightrons,
    I'd look long and hard at either this SII
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/434628/sightron-sii-rifle-scope-4-16x-42mm-adjustable-objective-duplex-reticle-matte
    or this SII "Big Sky" (next step up from the SII)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/218432/sightron-sii-big-sky-rifle-scope-45-14x-42mm-adjustable-objective-duplex-reticle-matte
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

weshod wrote: »
    Snake,
    As I said I just never felt like my VX-2 was very clear especially for the price. It may have just been the particular scope that I had. My Nikon Omega and Monarch are both noticably clearer than the Leupold was. I am not totally opposed to purchasing another Leupold scope, just cautious. I have Leupold wind river mesa bino's and love them. Also am looking at Zeiss Conquest scopes as an option to go on the 7mm-08.

If you're thinking about going with the Zeise Conquest, the Leupold VX-3 may be the same price and I know they're clear. I've got one that to me is the clearest scope I've ever looked through. Well at any rate it's clearer than it needs to be. But the Nikon Monarch is going to be much cheaper than all of them and it is certainly no slouch.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    The more I look at , and thru them , the more I like Burris scopes. Their Fullfield II series are a great crystal clear scope for the price.

Quite surprised by your disappointment in the Leupold. Are the lenses clean , and is it properly focused for your eyes? Leupold has some of the best customer support , and would probably check yours out to make sure it was up to their usually high standards.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    mkk41 wrote: »
    The more I look at , and thru them , the more I like Burris scopes. Their Fullfield II series are a great crystal clear scope for the price.

Quite surprised by your disappointment in the Leupold. Are the lenses clean , and is it properly focused for your eyes? Leupold has some of the best customer support , and would probably check yours out to make sure it was up to their usually high standards.
    :that:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,567 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »

Since Burris came out with the posi-loc and posi-align rings, thats all I've used, i.M.H.O. they cant be beat. JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    weshod:
    Welcome aboard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Well I made my decision for the scope for my Model 70 featherweight 7mm-08 today. Decided to go with the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 in stainless. Rifle should be here Wednesday and hopefully scope will be here Friday. Saturday is the only pretty day in our forecast for the next several days so I hope to get it sighted in and ready to go. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Good choice:up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    weshod wrote: »
    Well I made my decision for the scope for my Model 70 featherweight 7mm-08 today. Decided to go with the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 in stainless. Rifle should be here Wednesday and hopefully scope will be here Friday. Saturday is the only pretty day in our forecast for the next several days so I hope to get it sighted in and ready to go. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Excellent choice. I have that model in a 50mm tube on my 22-250. With my crappy eyes I cant do it justice lol.

By the way, my apologies for not welcoming you in my original post (above). Must have been having a senior moment..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    I would check out the 4-12 Leupold VX-R, I think it goes for right around $500.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Thanks for the suggestion but too late, scope is already ordered. Hope my next scope is a Zeiss, just wasnt ready to put down the cash for one right now.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    Oops... That's what I get for not reading the thread through. Tell us how you like it!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    All things being equal, weshod, even a Zeiss fan such as myself will admit it's hard to put out the money for the higher powered Zeiss scopes and I'd also look at a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 before I bought one. I had one on a deer rifle one season before I decided the scope was too big and the reticle too fine for that application. While the optics are fantastic, the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 is a good bit larger than the VX-3 counterpart--something probably not so fitting to the rifle you chose. Check out the Zeiss 3-9x40 someday that is still going for $399 and you'll be impressed i'm sure.
    wizard78 wrote: »
    My 7mm/08 sports a Leupold VX3 ( not VXIII) 3.5x10x40 and it is crystal clear. It is equal to the Zeiss Diavari MC coatings, 3x9x36 on my 6.5x55. I would recommend either one.

DSC00103.jpg

Anything that says VX-3 is a great scope. I don't think that quality of optics is needed for hunting, but it sure is nice to have.
    Heck Snake, I have very few scopes or rifles for that matter that are "needed" but I sure did want them. Should I be concerned that I don't have this one together and I'm already thinking about my next one? Thinking something small 22-250 or 223 or maybe 204 with nice wood and blued.
    Heck no weshod, looks to me like you're headed in the right direction. :up: