"Catch a lot of fish for me..."

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
My grandfather, patriarch of our family, raised in a loving family but dirt poor, self made wealthy businessman.... He's facing his last.

He's always been strong. Went into the army in early 50s for the GI bill but it was a peacetime enlistment. After WWII and before Korea. Went to college like many of his peers and due to his intelligence and the sense of work ethic that his generation had (for the most part), he was successful. He quickly rose in rank in the business world, married young, and fathered five children, my father being the eldest and only son. As I am the only son of MY father, I am the only one to carry my grandfather's name. I thank God that I had two sons, so if He wills it, my grandfather's name will carry on. His legacy certainly will, regardless of future great-great grandchildren.

Strong. The man could flat outrun me when I was 14. He would have been mid 60s at that time. He's always been thin and tough as a lightered knot. But he had a nose for business that was unparalleled. He founded a company in 84 after retiring from management at a large corporation and that company is still going strong today. I'm employed there, and have been since I was 12, working for two dollars an hour, cleaning and mowing, fixing equipment...

I learned so much from him. He was tough and not overly given to affection, since that wasn't taught when he was a child. But it was obvious that his wife was the jewel of his life, and his children were very dear to him. His grandchildren (I am the first of 11) and great grandchildren (9 in total) are especially loved by him.

He was ordained as a minister about 10 years ago and has always had the deepest reverence for the Divine, and it showed in his impassioned sermons. He loved to fish and was a real threat to any redbreast in the Satilla River that got within casting distance.

He has terminal cancer, and he went from just being a little tired a couple weeks ago, to having a distended midsection in a week due to fluid and organ swelling. At this point, the fluid itself is malignant and he's just receiving pain management now. He will likely be unresponsive due to medication in just a few days. It's just a matter of time. I went to the hospital last night, and got a few minutes to talk to him privately. Told him that he and my father were the two most important men in my life and that all my life, in all my struggles to find my place and to measure up to these two great men, all I desired was to make them proud. I didn't know what I wanted to do for a career (still don't somewhat), all I knew was that I wanted a family, and to make them proud. He slapped my arm with tears in his eyes and said, "You have. You're a good man, you have a good personality, and people instantly like you. Just keep the faith, have tenacity and determination, and you are going to be fine."

I told him I loved him and he told me with a smile, "Catch a lot of fish for me."

Never lost anyone close to me. I count that as a blessing, as I had both sets of grandparents until I was 30, only losing my mother's mom and dad about 6 years ago. I wasn't as close to them as far as interaction although I loved them as well. But this man is my rock, my means of measure for all actions and all other men. The grace that he's exhibited in accepting his fate is so humbling, and I hope to be half as good as he when I reach my final days.

I don't usually post these kinds of threads, but you guys are a real part of my life, and I felt like sharing. Thanks for reading, and every redbreast I catch until the day I die, I will remember this great, wonderful man.

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You, and your family will be in my prayers.

One foot in front of the other, keep plugging away.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    What a wonderful heart felt post. Thanks for sharing.

Good bless you and your family.

Prayers sent.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,834 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like he is a great man, and you are very lucky to have him in your life.

Prayers it for you and your family.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,108 Senior Member
    Bryant, I am sorry to hear of his condition. :angel:

Remember the good times and when your children grow up and start their own families, try to be as good a grandpa to them, as he was to you.

That's how I honor the memory of my own grandfather.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Prayers and sympathy.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    The great war took both of my grand dads, one way or t'other.

"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you."

Stay strong mate. :up:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,073 Senior Member
    Very heartfelt post, straight from your soul.

Blessings on your Grandfather and Belssings on you too! :angel::angel2::angel:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,823 Senior Member
    Buff this is one of the most honest and feeling things that you have ever written here. You leave no doubt that your Grandfather was a good man by any measurement.
    You honor him by being a good person yourself and teaching the same to your young ones. Wishing you strength to stand tall during these trying times. :angel2:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,430 Senior Member
    Fantstic post, and a great testament to a great man. May peace be upon you and your family going forward.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,136 Senior Member
    You are a reflection of your Grandfather. I would have been proud to have known him!!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,821 Senior Member
    You, your kids and your dad are his legacy and you have made him proud.

Prayers for you and yours, for a peaceful transition.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My :angel2: :angel2: go out for your grandfather and family.

BTW...........hope they are paying you more than 2 bucks an hour now, you are a 5 dollar an hour man if I ever saw one :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,268 Senior Member
    Every kid should have an "old man" in their lives....sounds as if you have a great one...
    God bless you and yours....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Bryant, we'll keep you and your family in our prayers.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,520 Senior Member
    Bryant, you have eloquently put to words what I have been unable to do myself. Your words brought those feelings back in a rush. Thank you for that.

You'll be in my prayers.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    :angel2:

Having just gone through that issue with my sister, I am deeply sorry you and your family have to go through it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,220 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear of your Granddad's condition. Prayers for you and family. :angel2:
    Honor his memory by being what he taught you, and pass it on to your kids.

I lost both my Granddads before I was 15 y.o. That's nearly 50 years ago, and I still think of them and miss them. Granddads and grandsons have a special relationship most times, and it can't be valued enough.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,379 Senior Member
    He sounds like a great man. Aside from his many accomplishments, I am sure he is content by leaving this world in a better place as evidenced by you and the rest of your wonderful family. You are doing the right thing by remembering and honoring him. I am really sorry that you are going to lose him.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Thank you all for your kind words.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Be strong in the knowledge you will see each other again in a better place ...

Prayers for him ... for you and your family :angel2:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,116 Senior Member
    Men like your grandfather, your dad, and now you are exactly what this world needs. No higher calling in life than to raise respectful, responsible and caring young men and women. Your grandfather answered that call, as did your dad. And now, you pass this along to your children. These men have been a blessing in your life as you are a blessing in the lives of your children. A pattern worth repeating is all too rare today. And you obviously cherish that legacy. Thank you for sharing your story.

May God give you and your family comfort and ease your grandfather's passing.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,299 Senior Member
    So very sorry for you situation. makes me sad as my Grand father was a very important figure in my life as well. Don't know you personally but from what I can tell you seem to be a stand up guy your Grand father I'm sure is very proud of.

Sako
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    Your story about your grandfather and father brought up a lot of old, good memories about mine, I lost one before I was born, another in the 50s, and my dad in 74. It does me good to read your thoughts about them, since I'm the oldest in my line, I hope I did as good a job with mine as yours did with you.

Prayers to you and your family :angel2::angel2:

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,099 Senior Member
    Thanks Buffy:angel2:, Just Prayed for your Grandfather.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    Prayers out to you and your family. I can relate. Lost my grandfather a few years ago and looked at him much the same way. It is tough losing a man that is such an important part of your life, he in part has made you the good man you are. Coming from a man who's never met or talked to you, I do not doubt that a bit. :angel2:
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    I was always what most considered "strange" since I was a youngster. I embraced death for something different than the taboo that it has with most people. Even as a kid I realized that we were born into death from the moment of conception. This life has never been what's interested me and I've always had a bit of envy for those that get to pass that line from here and to the true beginning. It made my own dads death more bearable because I imagine some place he's in that isn't even comprehensive to my mind. But you're grandpa sounds like one heck of a guy. I pray for you and your families peace in this difficult time. Just know its never "goodbye", its " see you sometime after".
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,416 Senior Member
    Prayers for your Grandfather, you and family.:angel2::angel2::angel2:
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,714 Senior Member
    Having never had anyone in my life to look up to the way you do your grandfather I am surprised at the way your story touched me.

So go catch those fish...

God's speed to your Grandfather

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,764 Senior Member
    Buffy, we will all eventually lose all of our icons, if we live, but their legacy remains and continues on for as long as anyone remembers them. And every time we remember them fondly, they are alive again, briefly, and revered more than they ever were when they walked the earth. I feel for you, very deeply, having watched all of my heroes depart from this life, but it is inevitable, and right, that they do so. Pass their lessons on to those who can benefit from them, and be that same kind of man to your own grand kids, and all will be well, and as it should be.