Home Main Category Hunting

My Hunting Season Opens With A Bang

Hondo341Hondo341 MemberPosts: 448 Member
Well, this past weekend was the opening of Muzzle Loader Season in Florida. Temperatures were in the 40's in the morning which was perfect to get the deer moving. Several of us saw does and a couple spikes. Thing looked pretty good. For the evening hunt I was going to try one of my stands I hadn't hunted in a while. My oldest friend, Erich, that I have known since kindergarden suggested I hunt one of his stands. That way we could ride together from the hunting camp and would only be a couple of hundred yards from each other. My "friends" are few but I cherish these friendships. That is why I hunt how I hunt. I went to a stand that he has mainly for bow hunting. It hadn't been hunted as we have had some hurricane activity lately and didn't get to bow hunt.

The stand I was hunting was in some pretty pines with brush growing here and there. The trees make it a bit darker than normal but that was alright since my maxumum shot would be about 80 yards tops. The stand itself is about 12 feet tall and aparently was built with the hunter of a smaller stature than my 6'3", 260 pound, in mind. It was a balancing act.
But, that was fine as it was positioned well. After only about 15 minutes I think I see a bit of movement straight in front of me. I watch for a couple of minutes and finally see a deer about 40-50 yards away feeding. I eased my CVA Accura, topped with a 3-9x Nikon, to get a better look on which make and model this deer might be. I spotted 5 points on this buck and knew this was a shooter. I held him in my scope waiting for a clear shot as there was brush all around this dude. After a couple of minutes he exposes his entire front half while still feeding. I placed the crosshairs on his neck and easy-squeezed off my shot. After the smoke cleared, literally, I see is down and done. I shifted the scope a bit and see there is no breathing. He was dead before he hit the ground and vever knew what hit him. I was really glad it was a quick, clean, kill.

[IMG][/img]5pt%20Buck_zpsropshptx.jpg

He was 122 pounds

[IMG][/img]5pt%20Buck%203_zpshfgv0mxw.jpg

[IMG][/img]5pt%20Buck%206_zpsfilxz787.jpg

This is an average Florida buck. I know he is small compared the deer in other parts of the country, but this a what we have. You can see the entrance wound with not a lot of blood.

[IMG][/img]5pt%20Buck%204_zpsttgsaxao.jpg

That deer kept sticking his tongue out at me; the nerve!

But I must apologize to Zee..........I have a face. :rotflmao:

Everybody at camp was as thrilled as I was; that is why I hunt where I hunt. And a good time was had by all that evening!
"People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member
    Excellent!

Very nice write up. I enjoyed the read. Good description. Good details. A little humor.

Well done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Pics of the terrain, if you ever get a chance. Would be appreciated.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Thanks Zee. It was a ball getting out there. Can't wait to go back in a couple weeks. I really want a hog with my revolver. Thought I had one coming in to me this morning. He kept getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger..........and then transformed into a bear! I went from elation to inventing new words.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
    Zee wrote: »
    Pics of the terrain, if you ever get a chance. Would be appreciated.

I will do that. Thanks for the heads up; I hadn't even thought of that.
    Hey, not everyone can say they saw a bear while deer hunting. So, thinknof it as a cool thing.
    Hey, not everyone can say they saw a bear while deer hunting. So, think of it as a cool thing.

We have way too many. Last year was the first time in about 25 yrs that bear were able to be hunted here. Out of the approx 4,000 people that bought tags they maxed out at 304 taken in only two days. I was one of the fortune 304 people to get one. In other words the bears are so numerous they are running off all the other game. Heck, they are even invading Orlando and the Disney area. The bunny huggers succeeded in getting bear off the hunting list for this year.

They are neat creatures though......don't taste bad either.
    I used to never consider shooting a bear. Now, I wouldn't mind doing so. With a handgun, preferably.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Nice hunt. Congratulations! I agree with Zee that some photos of the terrain would go a long way toward sharing your hunt with the rest of us. Where I hunt, it is just trees to me, but it is completely different from where you and Zee both hunt. I may never get to hunt with you guys, but sharing the whole experience is pretty cool.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    I used to never consider shooting a bear. Now, I wouldn't mind doing so. With a handgun, preferably.
    I will yell you when to put in your points for Michigan.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I had my 5" 629 with me on that hunt. But, being the last 1/2 hour of shooting light, on the last day, I had to go with the long gun. We were allowed to use regular rifles for the bear, but it was Muzzle Loader season and with my luck I would have had my .45/70 and a 10pt buck would have stepped out. So, I used the same muzzle loader I shot this 5pt with and shot the bear at about 80 yds. If it would have been closer I would have used the 629.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Nice hunt. Congratulations! I agree with Zee that some photos of the terrain would go a long way toward sharing your hunt with the rest of us. Where I hunt, it is just trees to me, but it is completely different from where you and Zee both hunt. I may never get to hunt with you guys, but sharing the whole experience is pretty cool.

I appreciate the info Jerm. Florida flatland woods is my home...take it for granted that everyone knows what it is like. I will do better in the future; Lord willing.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,565 Senior Member
    Never heard of folks asking for photos of sand pines, saw palmettos, and scrub oaks. Must be Yankees.....

Good hunt, great write-up. And that is a nice FL buck.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,673 Senior Member
    Congrats :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great job, Hondo! Nice job taking one with a smoke pole on opening day.

You? Handgun? C'mon. You already have big game down to a handgun. Time to get creative. Is wrasslin' a legal method of take?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nice Fl. deer, but what I wanna know is how you got the Fl. Yeti to pose with him on the tailgate like that... :uhm:

Now THAT would have made quite a scary looking trophy to hang on the wall..... :jester::rotflmao::tooth:

Luis

ps. Damn fine shot by the way. :guns::applause:
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »

You? Handgun? C'mon. You already have big game down to a handgun. Time to get creative. Is wrasslin' a legal method of take?

Pretty sure it is... as long as you're practicing catch and release. :tooth:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

You can bear wrestle if you wrassle bare.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Outstanding shot!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,934 Senior Member
    Good Hustle! Tenderloin and eggs for breakfast.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Hey, not everyone can say they saw a bear while deer hunting. So, thinknof it as a cool thing.

Iffin I see a bear while deer hunting I better have a spare pair of drawers in the car.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,384 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a successful hunt. Seeing a bear is a plus in my book. I have only seen bear in the wild when I was stationed in Washington state.

The terrain is different even from one part of Florida to the next. Most people think of the orchards and little bit of Everglades that they see from the road.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Hondo341 wrote: »
    I appreciate the info Jerm. Florida flatland woods is my home...take it for granted that everyone knows what it is like. I will do better in the future; Lord willing.

Y'all need to plant some Wajia to give those deer a little more protein. Not sure it would grow there, but that stuff will put the protein in em fast. But one thing, the foliage in a wet area isn't as protein rich as in dry country. The only thing that makes deer grow big antlers around here is age. If you can let one live to 3 or 4 years they start to develop a decent rack. But then they aren't as good to eat, in my opinion. I'll take meat quality over antlers almost any day. I just want to kill me one more decent buck, then you can just call me da doe man.

And those little bucks like that one you killed are just as good to eat as a fat doe.

I do so want to kill a deer with my Muzzle Loader, now that I have most of the bugs out of it. I think I'm taking it with me to the blind at the first of the season because no more doe after November 27th this year. So I will try to kill one with my .357 and my Muzzle Loader. I'll leave the bucks to my center fire rifles. And I think I have made my decision on which one I'll use first, and that would be my reliable old 270 Winchester with a 130 grain Game King. It just works.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I think I have made my decision on which one I'll use first, and that would be my reliable old 270 Winchester with a 130 grain Game King. It just works.[/QUOTE]

Nice work Hondo, with an excellent shot placement and a freezer full of venison! Snake, I wish Indiana would let me use my .270 like Florida and Tennessee did but alas, it will be the .243 or 6mm, both loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions over H1000........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

I thought about hypnotizing them with my good looks and then knifing them.....too easy
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Nice Fl. deer, but what I wanna know is how you got the Fl. Yeti to pose with him on the tailgate like that... :uhm:

Now THAT would have made quite a scary looking trophy to hang on the wall..... :jester::rotflmao::tooth:

Luis

ps. Damn fine shot by the way. :guns::applause:

"That" yeti is a protected feces......I mean species
    snake284 wrote: »
    Y'all need to plant some Wajia to give those deer a little more protein. Not sure it would grow there, but that stuff will put the protein in em fast. But one thing, the foliage in a wet area isn't as protein rich as in dry country. The only thing that makes deer grow big antlers around here is age. If you can let one live to 3 or 4 years they start to develop a decent rack. But then they aren't as good to eat, in my opinion. I'll take meat quality over antlers almost any day. I just want to kill me one more decent buck, then you can just call me da doe man.

And those little bucks like that one you killed are just as good to eat as a fat doe.

I do so want to kill a deer with my Muzzle Loader, now that I have most of the bugs out of it. I think I'm taking it with me to the blind at the first of the season because no more doe after November 27th this year. So I will try to kill one with my .357 and my Muzzle Loader. I'll leave the bucks to my center fire rifles. And I think I have made my decision on which one I'll use first, and that would be my reliable old 270 Winchester with a 130 grain Game King. It just works.
    I think most of it is genetics. Mine was a 2 1/2 yr old deer. The food here is definitely lacking.
    Thank You everybody. He is a trophy to me. Muzzleloader is the best chance to get a buck in Fl since it starts 2 weeks before General Gun season.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,409 Senior Member
    Nice hunt! I am looking forward to rifle season starting next weekend.

Except its going to be hot.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    Great hunt good shooting!
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Nice shot placement. Did you clip or severe his spine by chance?