Yo Teach, Tennmike, Big Al, anyone who knows how to spell Mauser, I got a slight Prob

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,927 Senior Member
I took my new (to me) Mauser build .257 AI out to the range the other day and shot it with regular .257 Bob ammo. Now I took the fireformed brass and loaded up another hotter load in it to take to the range. But curiosity got to me so I put er on mid position safety, making a special effor to keep it pointed in a safe direction and I attempted to cycle some AI handloads through it. At first it was a no go, but then when I did it fast it worked but it scared up the cartridge pretty bad. It looks like it comes out of the follower and feed rails fine but the angle due to the sharp, fat Ackley case looked to bind it. I think it is binding when it tries to slip under the extractor. It doesn't slip all the way up on the bolt face. I really don't think the feed rails are the cause. Do you think it needs a little relief on the back side of the claw where it grabs the case rim? If nothing seems to cure this, I'll take it up to Refugio to Dwight's shop (the gunsmith that built it for me.) and see if he can help me. But if it's just a matter of relieving the claw extracter a few thousandths I think I can stumble through it, because it's like 50 miles to Dwight's shop from here. What you all think?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    If your smith didn't open up the front of the feed lips on the receiver a little to accomodate the fatter case, he should have done so. The lips are tapered to match the 8X57 case, and they'll work OK with others with a similar taper such as a .30-06, .280, etc. The same problems crop up with cases like the .35 Whelen, which has the normal case taper, but a bigger bullet.

Just one more reason to stay far, far away from the AI conversion!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    If your smith didn't open up the front of the feed lips on the receiver a little to accomodate the fatter case, he should have done so. The lips are tapered to match the 8X57 case, and they'll work OK with others with a similar taper such as a .30-06, .280, etc. The same problems crop up with cases like the .35 Whelen, which has the normal case taper, but a bigger bullet.

Just one more reason to stay far, far away from the AI conversion!
    Jerry

So let me get this right, on a Mauser all the way left is safety-off, saight-up middle is semi-safe which allows to load/unload, but not fire and all the way over won't let you open the bolt or fire?

I seldom use the safeties on my Mausers because I fire them off a bench and have to make sure they are empty and bolt open for the range safety officer to clear me when they go cold.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    What Teach said.:agree:
    It fed the regular .257 Roberts cases, but binds on the AI fire formed cases. Needs feed rails opened up to accommodate the fatter less tapered and sharp shouldered AI cases. The scarring on the cases is from them being forced out of the too tight feed lips. Doesn't take much metal removal, but it's necessary for proper feeding.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,927 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    So let me get this right, on a Mauser all the way left is safety-off, saight-up middle is semi-safe which allows to load/unload, but not fire and all the way over won't let you open the bolt or fire?

I seldom use the safeties on my Mausers because I fire them off a bench and have to make sure they are empty and bolt open for the range safety officer to clear me when they go cold.

Yeah true, but this rifle's safety no longer flips left to right, but rather back and forth like a model 70, but I got what you're saying and that is correct.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    It doesn't look as though the feed rails are binding it and I reminded him of that before he finished the rifle. This looks to be binding at the bolt face. Like the extractor is too tight. I was wondering if you filed the extractor a little to give it a little more play if this would work. But I'll check it out and see. Maybe it is binding on the rails at some point and Dwight didn't want to remove too much metal thinking I could always bring it back and he could remove a little more. Anyway, y'all got me thinking so I'll definitely tell him that's your opinion. I've decided I'm not touching it and I'll let him do it.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    That was my thoughts, too, the feed rails.

"mouser" is that right??
    Yes, Chief, the original flag safety rolls 180 degrees, and includes the "safe, bolt unlocked" position in the center. That's something that gets eliminated with most of the aftermarket low swing safeties for scoped rifles. The Gentry Model 70 style safety includes the center position, but it's prtetty spendy.
    Jerry
    Snake, it won't hurt to take a little material off the back of the extractor, but you'll have to remove it from the bolt and use a grinder. It's hard as woodpecker lips, and a file won't cut it. That's not the problem, but until you ruin one by being stubborn, you won't believe us. Fortunately, they're cheap to replace. While you're at it, put a deeper chamfer on the back of the barrel so that honking big shoulder funnels into the chamber a little better.
    Jerry
    Yes Al, it's a mouser, LOL! HAHAHAHA!!!

But it doesn't look like the feed rails are causing it. I'm going to check further and I'll let you know.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    Teach is right about the extractor; super hard and very easy to mess up the hook if you don't have a light touch. But they're relatively cheap to replace.
    Is the brass getting chewed up in front of and directly behind the shoulder, or further back on the case body? Teach is also right about chamfering the barrel breech to help feed those 'saw logs' straight into the chamber.
    Remove the bolt and slip a few cases under the extractor. Is it hard to snap them up into the bolt face, or do they make the trip fairly easy with just a bit of pressure? You could be suffering from fat case rims, too. All brass from different vendors varies a bit on rim thickness.

The case rim on the Bob is 0.003" larger than the 7.92x57mm case. If the bolt nose rim is tight to min. spec., it could be causing the rim to be forced into the recess.

Ya got a lot of checking to do!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Yes, Chief, the original flag safety rolls 180 degrees, and includes the "safe, bolt unlocked" position in the center. That's something that gets eliminated with most of the aftermarket low swing safeties for scoped rifles. The Gentry Model 70 style safety includes the center position, but it's prtetty spendy.
    Jerry

Thanks. I really never use the safety on my Mausers except during an operational function check when I first get them or after I reassemble the bolt if I had it apart.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The other function of the center position of the flag is to hold the striker spring compressed while removing the firing pin/gas shield assembly from the bolt. Just push the plunger on the side of the gas shield back with the flag centered, and unscrew the firing pin, gas shield and cocking piece as an assembly. If you've still got the action in the military stock, the round steel bushing in it is used to insert the firing pin into to compress the spring and remove the cocking piece. The entire bolt can be field-stripped without tools that way.
    Jerry
    No Jerry, I'm not that hard headed. I am believing you now, it's just I couldn't see it. I'm not in the mood to screw up the extractor so I'll go to plan b and have my smith work on the lips. I think he did but probably not enough. It will go in if you slam it fast, hence the scars on the case. So I don't think it's far away from being right. And thinking back, it fed the regular .257 brass fine. I'll take it down to Dwight. He's done this before. I don't think he had any loaded cases to try in it that were improved so he was a little cautious about taking metal off. He did tell me that if I had any problems give him a call, so I will.
    Hey Teach and all of you, this thing did great today. I had to slam it home and I'm probably still going to do a little touch up reeming on the breach end, but it worked a whole lot better in the field than in the living room. I had no real jams or issues with it today. I had made a step up using the AI cases for the first time and went from 47 grains H4831SC to 52 grains powder in the AI fireformed cases. It shot a 1 inch 5 shot group, which is plenty good for a new rifle. I think with load work and tweeking it will get better. I didn't take pics because it was too damn cold and windy.
    Sounds good- - - - -if you need the chamfer tool I've got for the chamber entrance, I can send it to you in the mail. I think that will help the difficult chambering and keep the brass from getting scarred up any worse.
    Jerry