Home Main Category Personal Defense

Tactical defense flishlight

BingBing MemberPosts: 95 Member
My wife saw a short story about using a high lumen flashlight to temporarily blind a potential threat at night in order to facilitate getting away from a potential danger situation.

Of course, the handy 9mm in her purse seems a better solution, but she would still like to carry a light like that in her purse, glove box, etc.

Does anyone here have any experience or comments of any brand, lumen requirements, etc. on this ?

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,940 Senior Member
    This was pretty good for its day, mine is going on 10 years and works good, you can bring it on a plane, lens will get HOT if left on with mine which I don't think is an LED, it would work as a tool to punch someone with. There are probably some better options out there theses days.

http://www.surefire.com/e2d-led-defender-ultra.html
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've read lots of hypotheticals about using bright light as a defense, but have not seen or heard anything verified.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    I'm not so sure that whipping out a flashlight instead of a gun works all that well for me...However, having a good flashlight is a good thing. I recently bought a J5 "tactical" flashlight that was in a display at the butcher shop for 20 bucks. It's an LED, bright as hell and clips to my pocket nicely....it also has a strobe function that I have absolutely no use for other than to see if I can cause the bad guy to have seizures before I shoot him....If you want to look, just googel "J5 flashlights"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Its best if the flashlight is attached to her gun...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    This was pretty good for its day, mine is going on 10 years and works good, you can bring it on a plane, lens will get HOT if left on with mine which I don't think is an LED, it would work as a tool to punch someone with. There are probably some better options out there theses days.

http://www.surefire.com/e2d-led-defender-ultra.html

An ultrafire flashlight with the rechargeable battery is a fraction of the cost, durable, bright as ever and functions flawlessly. Different models have different features.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I carry a Surefire E2D but it is down the list on my choices of a weapon but it can serve by possibly momentarily blinding someone AND with its strike bezel be a GTFU me tool.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    it also has a strobe function that I have absolutely no use for other than to see if I can cause the bad guy to have seizures before I shoot him....If you want to look, just googel "J5 flashlights"
    JH, have your wife strobe you & move either towards or away from you while the strobe is on, and try to touch her her shoulder. The strobe will mess with your depth perception some. Enough to really be worth anything??? I can't say
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I've had some expensive flashlights and lost every one of them...can't see spending a ton of money on one....my current 20 dollar light is about the limit of what I'll spend.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    JH, have your wife strobe you & move either towards or away from you while the strobe is on, and try to touch her her shoulder. The strobe will mess with your depth perception some. Enough to really be worth anything??? I can't say

Ok I get your point....ended up grabbing a boob....
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,940 Senior Member

AAAnnnddd, your still on here talking to us.......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,813 Senior Member
    The strobing can mess up the light operator. also.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,813 Senior Member
    Time to go to bed
    I just noticed this thread is about fishlights.

Just about any light will do. I do use a flounder light as a stern navigation light.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,517 Senior Member

Thats the funniest thing I've read on here in a while.

I'm gonna give my wife one of those lights...............
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Funny stuff.
    I know what I'm thinking, just don't think I'm going to post it..........................
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Don't Tactical Flashlights have higher recoil? :jester: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    Bing wrote: »
    My wife saw a short story about using a high lumen flashlight to temporarily blind a potential threat at night in order to facilitate getting away from a potential danger situation.

Of course, the handy 9mm in her purse seems a better solution, but she would still like to carry a light like that in her purse, glove box, etc.

Does anyone here have any experience or comments of any brand, lumen requirements, etc. on this ?

A flashlight is a very useful tool, but if a flashlight is your wife's idea of a primary self defense weapon, it's time to get her thinking about 'plan B'. Sayin'

Since she already carries, I'd say she recognizes that fact already. If not, please let her know that a flashlight is an enhancer, not a primary weapon... IOW, don't go thinking you can shine this I the attacker's eyes and incapacitate him, despite the tactical sales pitch to the contrary.

Belief in the pocket/purse held light that will stop an attacker in his tracks is right up there with the belief that a pump gun is better than an auto because all you have to do is rack the slide and baddies everywhere will wet themselves in terror...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    Hey, any excuse that you can get away with :tooth: (You taking notes Pierre?)
    :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    When Surefire was just getting established with their earlier incandescent lights, they stated that 60 lumens was the threshold for dishing out the "dazzle" effect. Pretty much anything you get these days will be well in excess of that.

Of late, my current favorite is Streamlight's Pro Tac 2AA:

* It's small and light.
    * It's relatively cheap (about $40-$50)
    * It runs on 2 AA batteries - I like not needing the exotic stuff.
    * It has a momentary tailcap switch (if you want a fighting light, I consider this mandatory) that can be pressed harder to click into constant-on.
    * It has a 155 lumen top end mode, and can be programmed to also take advantage of (or not) an 11 lumen low end as well as a strobe.

I just programmed it for bright only, being of the KISS mindset, but the dim/bright dual setting has some utility as well. The strobe option I find to be more PITA than anything else. The more things it can do, the more things you have to keep track of. Gadgetry sells stuff, but it ain't necessarily your friend. What I like about these Streamlights is they give you the gadgetry with the option of turning it off.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Slug, I gotta agree on the KISS. All the multi-mode lights and such just make it easier for Murphy to show up. On & Off is pretty much all I think I can handle if someone or thing is threatening.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Darkstar888Darkstar888 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    I have had great success with Streamlight ProTac series. I have about 5. My favorite is the new ProTac 1L-1AA. It can run on either one cr123 at 350 lumens or one AA at 155 lumens. It's the brightest of the ProTac series and very small. Three modes, high, strobe, and low in that order. The pocket clip is designed such that you can clip it on the brim of a hat or car sun visor. Very cool. Only around $40.
    IMG_0969.JPG
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Slug, I gotta agree on the KISS. All the multi-mode lights and such just make it easier for Murphy to show up. On & Off is pretty much all I think I can handle if someone or thing is threatening.

I had (and ultimately lost) an early Blackhawk Gladius that was the best of the multi-moders I've encountered. It had a rotary border around the tailcap switch that made shifting gears pretty intuitive.

Only real problem was that it was pretty easy to get it accidentally locked on in constant/dim mode, thus draining your juice - and that was with it carried in a belt holster. Definitely not a purse light.

I ran my current 2-AA Streamlight in dim-bright mode initially, and that has a lot of utility if you practice enough to to the two fast taps to get it to bright. The dim mode is really nice for searching for dropped parts under the armory bench, or, if you're in that line of work, checking I.D. and insurance without blinding yourself. I've pretty much settled for all bright, all the time, and I can pulse the tailcap my own damn self if I need a strobe.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    If you buy a good flashlight, such as a Streamlight that runs on cr123a batteries, they can blind an attacker. The model I have is 750 lumens. It costs a lot more than $ 19.95. You get what you pay for. They have a new one that is 1100 lumens, it uses 3 cr123a batteries. With the one I have I can stand in the middle of my 8.6 acres and see the whole place at night. I could not do that with one that uses 3 aaa batteries. I know because I have one of those, too. also have a Streamlight that uses one cr123a lithium battery I carry in my fanny pack. The shelf life of the battery is 10 years.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    CR123 batteries used to be reasonably priced, but then as tacticool lights became popular, their price skyrocketed.

Anybody know of a good source for a good price these days?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,300 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    When Surefire was just getting established with their earlier incandescent lights, they stated that 60 lumens was the threshold for dishing out the "dazzle" effect. Pretty much anything you get these days will be well in excess of that.

Of late, my current favorite is Streamlight's Pro Tac 2AA:

* It's small and light.
    * It's relatively cheap (about $40-$50)
    * It runs on 2 AA batteries - I like not needing the exotic stuff.
    * It has a momentary tailcap switch (if you want a fighting light, I consider this mandatory) that can be pressed harder to click into constant-on.
    * It has a 155 lumen top end mode, and can be programmed to also take advantage of (or not) an 11 lumen low end as well as a strobe.

I just programmed it for bright only, being of the KISS mindset, but the dim/bright dual setting has some utility as well. The strobe option I find to be more PITA than anything else. The more things it can do, the more things you have to keep track of. Gadgetry sells stuff, but it ain't necessarily your friend. What I like about these Streamlights is they give you the gadgetry with the option of turning it off.

My daily carry flashlight is an older, non programmable version of that light. It is a great light. I reversed the clip on mine so that the lens is pointing up, added a small paper shim inside the barrel that keeps the batteries from slightly rattling, and it has been my daily carry flashlight for several years now.

Since I spend a whole bunch of my time in airports and airplanes, I have to rely on bright lights and improvised impact weapons in those areas. A very bright light in the eyes could give you the edge in that sort of situation.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    I have one I picked up from Walmart that claims to be a "tactical" flashlight. Has the high, low, strobe settings. But uh, if that's my last resort for self defense, well, I might as well just consider myself up creek without a paddle because it ain't gonna do much.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    If your flashlight still takes a battery or batteries that aren't rechargeable a couple thousand hours and then you're not doing yourself the justice of having a flashlight that's like the sun. Seriously look up the ultrafire brand on eBay. The lumen output is unreal, the battery is rechargeable, comes with a charger and you can get them for around $20. Don't let the price scare you. I've used one daily for 2 years.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    In my opinion, a light is just a good target. Something the bad guy can shoot at. Now I'll go with a taser or mace maybe but still would prefer firepower. But a light is just something for BG to shoot at. It may blind him, but he can probably hit it even if he's blinded by it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    In my opinion, a light is just a good target. Something the bad guy can shoot at. Now I'll go with a taser or mace maybe but still would prefer firepower. But a light is just something for BG to shoot at. It may blind him, but he can probably hit it even if he's blinded by it.
    cpj wrote: »
    So...you just fire at random into the inky darkness?

Well... I agree with snake. A flashlight is a big ass target. Think of police or soldiers clearing a building at night. If you're in the building laying in wait, you see the persons coming with a flashlight, you know exactly what to aim for, well before they even know you're there. Same if you're out on patrol and encounter an enemy camp that has a campfire/cooking fires/lights/etc. Being in the dark, you have an advantage. This is sniper school 101: can't aim at what you don't see.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
    Sarge wrote: »
    Well... I agree with snake. A flashlight is a big ass target. Think of police or soldiers clearing a building at night. If you're in the building laying in wait, you see the persons coming with a flashlight, you know exactly what to aim for, well before they even know you're there. Same if you're out on patrol and encounter an enemy camp that has a campfire/cooking fires/lights/etc. Being in the dark, you have an advantage. This is sniper school 101: can't aim at what you don't see.

Soooo...tell us what you think of weapon lights....
    Soooo...tell us what you think of weapon lights....

They have their uses, Jay, but so does darkness. There's advantages to both.