Pipeline Explosion In Alabama

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
https://weather.com/news/news/shelby-county-alabama-pipeline-explosion?cm_ven=FB_NEWS_CW_103116_1
Multiple injuries were reported Monday after a large gas pipeline exploded in Shelby County, Alabama.

The blast occurred late Monday afternoon in the town of Helena, just five miles west of a recent Colonial Pipeline gasoline leak, according to AL.com. At least seven people were severely burned by the explosion, the report added, several of which were flown to a nearby hospital.

Any of you guys around there heard about interrupting other operations? Colonial said it shut down its operation near there.
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    :angel2: for the workers involved.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Yes, they have their pipelines shut down and they are waiting for the gasoline in the line to burn out.

It's on the news here, they just said the cause was the construction crew hit the pipeline with a piece of equipment. They're also now reporting one fatality.

This occurred roughly 1/2 mile from the big leak they had a few months ago.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gas prices will go up................................until its fixed and then some, any excuse.

Those things gotta be marked with signs..............bad goof-up by that construction company.

My :angel2: :angel2: go out to the killed/injured and their families.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    I talked to a supplier today, he said prices went up .15 for gas out east today.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,309 Senior Member
    Our gas never went down from the last time they blew the thing up. They fix it to many more times and I'll be walking.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    If we, at least, could get a gas barge /tanker into Morehead City we'd be OK.
    So what if it cost more; driving trucks to Wilmington to get it is expensive, also.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member
    It costs a good deal of money to implement an effective system for preventing these kinds of accidents, and human beings still manage to defeat the system occasionally. Factor in all of the preventive measures and apply some government oversight, and you increase prices significantly to prevent a percentage of these accidents that still falls quite a bit under 100%.

I worked in the oil field long enough to know that you can never predict when some yahoo on a backhoe will decide to risk digging around a pipeline without knowing exactly where it is, or how deep it is. There are some really great equipment operators in the oil fields, whom I might trust to do that, if I didn't know that sometimes they can make mistakes, too.