Best Boresight

AiredaleAiredale BannedPosts: 624 Senior Member
Which, in the estimation of y'all is the one to use??

Jim

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,565 Senior Member
    I use an old Bushnell thats been reasonably accurate, havnt tried any of the lasers yet
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    My present bore sighter is free. Yes, free. I lay my rifle in my vice and remove the bolt. Then I sight the bore line on the target center. Then I adjust the scope till it lines up with the centerliine of the bore. I do this at 50 yards. Then I shoot once to see where it is on paper af that 50 yards. If it's on I move to 100 or 200 yards. Case closed, rifle sighted in, Free! Well other than the cost of the ammo.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,071 Senior Member
    I generally prefer Leupold's magnetic boresighter because (A.) you aren't jamming metal rods down the barrel of your rifle and (B.), it is easy to adjust for the height of the scope.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    I boresight on the electric company transformer at the neighbor's house 1/4 mile down the road. I don't think I've ever had a rifle be "off the paper" at 100 yards after doing it that way. No matter what kind of scope setting aid is used, the job is only partway done until the actual paper target has some holes in the right place. In one memorable instance, I mounted a scope after dark the night before opening day, boresighted to the mercury vapor light on my barn from that same neighbor's kitchen window, and tweaked the group in by shining my truck's headlights on a target taped to a cardboard box in the middle of the dirt road 100 yards from his front porch. His nephew killed an 8-pointer with the rifle the next morning just after dawn.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I use the same method as 'snake'. Put the gun in my gun-vise or set it on the front rest and rear bag and look down the bore. Center the 50 yard target in the bore and adjust the scope accordingly. This method has worked for me for most of my long guns with very few exceptions. With bolt actions, just remove the bolt and look down the bore. Remington 870 or 1100 or 11-87 slug guns (Illinois deer hunting requires shotguns or handguns); just remove the barrel and put it in the vise, center 50 yd. target in bore and adjust the scope as needed. The only lever actions that I have scoped are Marlins, so you can bore sight those by removing the bolt and looking through the bore as described above. Single shots are also easily boresighted with the naked eye.

Several of my friends have remarked that they can't believe I don't have one of those electronic bore sight devices! I have just about everything else. Well frankly, I don't need one.

Bullet_holes.gif
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I generally prefer Leupold's magnetic boresighter because (A.) you aren't jamming metal rods down the barrel of your rifle and (B.), it is easy to adjust for the height of the scope.

That's what I use.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,174 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    Which, in the estimation of y'all is the one to use??

Jim

Your issued MKII eyeball...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    With the bolt locked open on a semi-auto it's possible to use a small mirror to boresight that type of action. I've done it on several Remington autos and pump actions when mounting scopes on them.
    Jerry
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Yup, for a bolt action you just need a gun vice. The 25 dollar one from wally world works fine. Gets me on paper every time.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Why did a thread nearly a year old get dredged back up? I don't see any imbedded SPAM, but maybe the mods need to watch this one.
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,595 Senior Member
    Yup, for a bolt action you just need a gun vice. The 25 dollar one from wally world works fine. Gets me on paper every time.

I have one of those. Has more jiggle in it than Oprah on a wood roller coaster.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I posted that over a year ago when I was looking for a good boresight. No spam.
    I ended up buying one from Cabelas.
    Works fine.
    I have no idea why it appeared again.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,645 Senior Member

All of us here have a gun vice. I was not aware you could buy such a vice anywhere, you just embrace it and try to live your life.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    Seeing as how it was dredged up from the past I might as well throw my 2c worth in.

Being a person who is comfortable with new technology, I use one of them new fangled state of the art I-Balls...............If the batteries start to run out, I recharge it with bacon.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • browninghunter86browninghunter86 Member Posts: 351 Member
    I use the remove bolt and look down the bore at a target say 25' away and then look at scope and worked fine for me the 5 times I had to do so. I just recently bought one from WallyWorld to use to lign up rifle and chronograph and it worked fine too
    Andrew
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Are there dark forces lined up against me? Why the heck would someone do that??
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,938 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    Are there dark forces lined up against me? Why the heck would someone do that??
    Spammers do that all the time, Hence my current avatar and sig line
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    I use the remove bolt and look down the bore at a target say 25' away and then look at scope and worked fine for me the 5 times I had to do so. I just recently bought one from WallyWorld to use to lign up rifle and chronograph and it worked fine too

I boresight mine at about 150 yards or so. If you have a good vise or a good cleaning rest, it's pretty simple. I'm always on paper.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06