Home Main Category Hunting

Goat trip. Part II

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberA true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
Okay, Here are a few more pics.
This was the 3rd day ( I think)

We decided to head down to the beach again as the weather up high was still cloudy and wet. I did mention that there were 2 'climates' within a mile of each other in the other thread and you will see the contrast in the following pics.

This is the view as we parked the quad and loaded up our packs...............

DSCF6869_zpsthfd0zli.jpg

Saw these on the edge of the forest. The beach is made up of boulders........no sand........ What happens is that little rocks end up being washed up by the surf and sometimes they balance on top of bigger rocks. The wave action moves the little ones back and forth and they slowly grind themselves a hole in the bigger rocks until they look like this........

DSCF6876_zpsbl2lwaft.jpg

Negotiating the beach can be difficult as the rocks move under your feet so you have to be careful. You also have to watch the tide as you can be trapped if its rising......and if the surf is running you have to keep an eye out for waves. Luckily for us it was calm............

DSCF6890_zps5mgn0fvk.jpg

We ended up at the base of this gully and saw a mob of goats at the head of it walking across the top. The ppic doesnt really give a true idea of the steepness btw........
Range to the goats was between 300-400 m depending on which side of the gully they were on. We set up on the rubble near the beach and I opened up with the 22-250. BH had his 222 Sako.

We were hoping that any goats shot would come down the slip towards us but that was not to be. Where the grass starts at the head of the gully it flattens off and the ones we shot simply ran/tumbled onto the flat and stayed there. I think we ended up with about 7-8 kills with both of us taking turns with the 22-250.

DSCF6894_zpsjtnnqrtx.jpg

I fell over twice, looking uphill at a 45deg angle through the binos was disorientating and a couple of times I felt myself starting to fall backwards!! Bh had the same problem.

We headed back to the bike rode back to the house and had lunch. We then headed to another place along the top boundary of the property and set up with the 204's. Having the quad was great as we could carry enough gear to make our setups comfortable.

Took a couple of pics on our way..............

Top of the ridge looking down to the beach.............

DSCF6862_zpsh0rllxn0.jpg

Looking back along the ridge towards the house.....when we left it was raining there but the further we moved away the better the weather got...........

DSCF6864_zpsoezagusu.jpg
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    We finally got as far as we could with the bike and after grabbing what was needed we headed down a spur to set up overlooking an area of cutover that was surrounded by bush.

Here is BH 'Hunting'...............He had his mobile in his pocket and managed to get a signal so he read his texts while we waited for something to come out........

DSCF6929_zps5damuy4l.jpg

Bh 'glassing' the area. We watched a mob of deer off to our right for about 10 minutes as they quietly fed in a clearing.

DSCF6939_zpsugvwdubd.jpg

The excitement was too much for him and he decided he needed a rest, leaving me on sentry..........

DSCF6940_zps4qki3wxd.jpg

A couple of extra pics..........

BH's Ruger Varmint in 204.....

DSCF6931_zpsre1iifsc.jpg

My Howa in the same caliber.........

DSCF6935_zpsirxzqxrl.jpg
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Just after he dropped off to sleep I saw some movement on the bush line below us about 350 m away. Lifted the bino's and saw a goat staring uphill at us.........I think he spotted me as I stood up to stretch my legs. The purple dot is where I first spotted him.

DSCF6932_zpshz4trslj.jpg

I woke up BH and we watched the goat for about 5 minutes to see what he was going to do.................then he slowly started to make his way up towards us. From his position I think we were skylined and, while he could see movement he probably assumed that we were some of the goats that we had sprung from the top of the ridge.

When he reached the base of the spur we were on he was about 180m away............but he then started climbing up towards us. We had to keep moving forward as we kept losing sight of him under the ridge...........then we had the idea that we would see how close he would come. Bh and I started making 'Goat' noises and then peering over the ridge as he got closer and closer..............

When he was about 50m away we both backed off and sat in our camp chairs ready for action. After a couple of minutes BH stood up to see where he was and while he was standing up I saw a movement on the other side of the green weed just to the right of my rifle in the above pic. He was only 5 m away!!!!!!!!!

I already had the rifle almost shouldered so I looked through the scope and all I could see was brown out of focus hair...........I then quickly moved my head to one side, looked along the side of the barrel, lined up his head and put a 45gr 204 projectile through the side of it. Range at the shot was about 3m.

At the shot his head snapped back and he slid over the edge and tumbled about 100m downhill until he got stopped by a log.

I then climbed down and took this pic of him.

DSCF6926_zpsm5evb0ne.jpg

The unusual thing about this animal is that ( apart from committing suicide) Nature had blessed him with a big white tuft of hair on the tip of his tail. When I first saw him on the bush edge, I only saw a bit of movement which was his erect tail waving back and forth. The whole time he made his way towards us, his tail was acting like a beacon. If it wasnt for that He may have gone unnoticed.

Still waiting for a couple of videos to download............
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,076 Senior Member
    Awesome pics!

do you eat any of them while your camped out there? The meat any good?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    Awesome pics!

do you eat any of them while your camped out there? The meat any good?

Thanks.

Most of the goats were pretty skinny, so we didnt eat any while down there. Goat meat is good to eat, makes great curries etc. I was going to bring back some goat meat............but we also shot a big red stag 2 days before we left and a couple of wild sheep. Both chili bins ( a 90litre one and a 45litre one)were full to the brim of fresh venison/lamb/hogget legs and back steaks etc so we didnt have any room to spare.

We did have 2-3 meals of venison while there though...........:tooth:

Got a special video just for you btw............will post it up when photobucket finally finishes screwing around.......
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Red Stag? no pics?!?!?!?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Red Stag? no pics?!?!?!?

D

Ditto!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    The red stag incident...................

On the 4th night the rain had let up so we decided to grab the spotlights and .22's and go and chase possums/ rabbits when it got dark. We figured the previous few days had been pretty strenuous and we deserved a nice easy night riding around on the quad. The area had been poisoned a few months before so we didnt hold out much hope for a good night hunt. We load up the bike, and at 9pm and head off down one of the tracks on the property. Cos it was night I didnt bother taking the still or movie camera. We also put BH's 222 on the bike in case we managed to spring some goats.

Drive around the first bend in the track and the spotlights pick up a set of eyes on the trunk of a tree about 50 m away. 'Phut' ( yes a suppressed .22 does go 'Phut' ) and the 1st one ( possum) is down. Continue around the corner and a rabbit darts off the side of the track and gaps it down the track. BH gets it on the 2nd or 3rd shot as its running.........and we pick it up as it makes good bait for the crayfish pot.

Its a good start to the night and were were enjoying the change in weather. As we come around the next corner my spotlight picks up some eyes about 400m away on the side of a hill. ( BTW I am driving the quad with my right steering and using the throttle, have got my big spotlight in my left hand sweeping the area in front and to the side while BH is riding side saddle on the back carrier ready to do the 'business' )

I stopped the quad as we both said 'Deer' ! I shut off all the lights including the quads and BH swaps his .22 for the 222. We then idle along the track around a few corners without lights until we were much closer and able to look along the side of the steep gully where the 'eyes' had appeared. I shut the bike off and said to BH, " I will flick the big light on for a few seconds to see where the deer is and ID it, then flick the light off so we can decide what to do". When I flick the light on then off we see 3 sets of eyes about 110m away ............and they are big Red deer. We decide that we will take one.

BH gets ready and when he is in position I flick the light back on, hold it on the biggest and the 222 barks. The deer collapses on the spot with a perfect between the eyes shot and crumples................then rolls over ...........and over...............and over...............and over...........and over.............until it finally disappears towards the bottom of the gully. I follow it with the light until it goes from sight.

Oh CRAP! ( Actually we didnt say 'crap' ........we said a whole lot of words much worse...:rotflmao:)

I then said to BH "You walk along the track until you are above where he is then head down the hill while I guide you from here with the big light. When you find it, I will come down and help you carry it up the hill". He then heads off up the track turns right after a 100m or so and heads down the hill. I could mark his progress by his headlamp.............when suddenly it disappears. I then hear a whole passel of swear words bouncing off the hills in the still night air. A few minutes later his headlamp reappears and I yelled out "What the hell are you doing?"..................I wont repeat his reply, but he had fallen/slid down a 20' drop........so I told him to stop having fun playing around on the side of the hill and go find the deer. :tooth:

During his descent he kept disappearing and each time it was followed by more cussing and swearing. After 25 minutes he still hadnt found it so I told him to stop, keep his headlamp on and I would come down. I walk up the track, turn right after 100m and start heading down the hill. Did I mention that the terrain was steep?

I didnt fall/slide over the same drop cos my mum didnt raise dumb kids...............I went around it.............and about 2 minutes later fell/slid down an almost sheer 30' face......Luckily the bushes stopped me going any further and broke my fall. I then repeated pretty much word for word what he had said earlier!

Eventually we met up and did a grid search, finally locating the deer wrapped around a stump that had arrested its fall.....about 300m further down the hill from where it was shot and about 200m from the bottom of the gully.

After a short breather we tried to lift it for the carry back up the hill. With both of us lifting, we could only get the rear legs off the ground. We came to the conclusion that there aint no way we were going to carry it out as the only route was straight back up the hill. Accordingly we took the back legs, the front legs and the back steaks off plus other edible bits and grabbing a leg and a back strap each we headed back towards the quad. It was so steep we had to crawl up the hill on our hands and knees!!!!!! ( We weighed one of the legs when we got back to BH's place 5 days later and each one weighed just on 16 kg......they were heavy)

When we got about 3/4 of the way back up the hill we came across a flat area which was an old track. I said to BH that I might be able to get the quad along here even though it was covered in scrub and slips and all the detritus of the logging that had taken place 12mths earlier so we dropped the legs and backstraps and while I bashed my way up to the main track, BH returned for another load. I finally got back to the bike, turned it around and headed about 500m back down the main track until I found the disused overgrown entrance of the old track. The first part of the track was quite good..........but after 50m it started to get hairy. The pampas grass was about waist high, just tall enough to hide big logs and small slips perfectly. With the track only about twice the width of the quad and a sheer drop to my right I was starting to get the impression that this was not a good idea. A couple of times I ran into 'stuff' that had the bike up on its 2 right wheels which got the adrenaline pumping and me getting ready to jump off........but I managed to get to within 20m of where we had dumped the legs etc. We finally got all the meat to the bike, turned it around by using a 10 point turn and started the journey back to base. The ride back along the disused track was easier cos we piled most of the weight on the 'hill' side of the bike which helped keep the wheels on that side in contact with the dirt. ( Even then BH got off and walked in a couple of places )

We finally got back to our base without incident. We shot the deer at about 9.25pm..........we didnt get back to base till just after 3am. After hanging the meat in the meat safe we reckoned we deserved a beer in front of the fire. Never has a beer tasted so good!!!! We discussed the nights events and decided that we were definitely going to have an easy day when we woke up as we were buggered!.

Little did I know what was going to happen the following morning.....................

More to come.

( apologies for the lack of pics btw. The deer was a big red stag but due to the season his antlers had already dropped and he only had the beginnings of his new 'rack' starting to develop.)
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Hurry up I can't wait :popcorn:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,223 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hurry up I can't wait :popcorn:

Me neither.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Still trying to get photobucket to load the last videos. They load up, then I get a little box that says " We are processing your videos, be back soon" ( or some similar crap) then when I go back the videos are nowhere to be found.

Here is an incident to keep you occupied..............

The following night we again decided to go spotlighting for possums.

We left base and drove along the access rd. Shot 3-4 in the first 10 minutes or so then just as we came around a right hand corner onto a short straight there is a rabbit sitting in the middle of the road.

Need to describe the road before I describe what happened next.
    There was a short staight about 60 m long followed by a 180 degree left hand bend and another short straight the same length as the first then another right hand corner. The road was following the contours of the ridge. The straight and the corner across the gully were only about 60-70 metres away. It was like a a giant U shape.

So, I stop the bike, hold the spotlight on the rabbit while BH slides off the quad and chambers a round into the breech and takes the shot.

Its a miss just to the left of the rabbit, which promptly starts loping slowly down the road towards the U shaped bend. BH works the bolt and 'Phut'.... The second round lands just behind the rabbit again and It changes from 1st gear to second picking up the speed. I laughingly said " Its changed gear and is accelerating......... Choot it"

I hear the bolt being racked again and 'Phut' next round is about 6" behind the rabbit ...........and it goes up another gear. I am starting to laugh now but I managed to gasp out " Its in 3rd gear........Hurry up or it will get away"

Next round goes off as it negotiates the curve and it was also was just behind its back legs. Same thing again........Brer Rabbit changes into to 4th and is now doing about 15-20mph......and coming back down the other side of the gully towards us............

'Phut'..............this one was almost a money shot, I swear it landed about an inch behind its back legs. Brer rabbit goes into 5th gear with his 'pedal to the metal' and at every step you could see his back legs raising dust in the dirt.

'Phut'.................I dont know how this one missed but the dust at the rabbits back legs as he took the next step was twice the size of the last step and I saw the bullet in the spotlight land just under his back leg as he lifted it for the next step ( thats the beauty with using subsonics at night, the spotlight reflects off the base of the projectile and is clearly visible)
    The rabbit engages overdrive and his speed almost doubles. In the still night air we could see all the little puffs of dust hanging from the U corner right up the road. By this stage I am pissing myself with laughter and I am having difficulty breathing.

'Phut' ......#7 land in the same place as #6...........I dont know what motor the rabbit was running under the hood but it must have been Turbocharged cos the turbo cut in and it gained more speed............something I didnt think was possible as it looked like it was doing about 30mph at this stage..............

'Phut' .......# 8 is on its way.....another miss right behind old brer rabbit.........I think it might have creased the fur under its tail............cos the rabbit must have hit the Nitrous button as his speed seemed to double again!!!!! By now I cant even hold the spotlight still as I am laughing so hard........

#9 should by rights have hit the rabbit but he had started his turn into the sharp right hand corner opposite us and it passed just along his left hand side , hitting the dirt to his left.

As he leaned into the corner he went into a full 4 legged drift in the loose dirt/gravel and I didnt see where #10 landed.

I should add that after every shot, BH said a cuss word while he cycled the bolt...........As he emptied the magazine the cuss words got louder and worse.

My side hurt so much from laughing it was a couple of minutes before I could function again and BH was almost in the same condition. Finally I dropped the bike into gear and followed the rabbits path until we got around the last corner............where there was a long straight. All the way along the straight we could see miniature dust clouds hanging in the air, marking the rabbits path...............That started us laughing again.

The whole incident only took about 20 seconds..........but the memory will stay with me forever.

It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I told BH that perhaps he needed to get a 20 shot magazine............. I wont tell you what his reply was..............

When we go down at christmas I am going to trap that particular bunny..............and enter him in the Grand National!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,223 Senior Member
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Tell BH to skip the 20 and go straight for the 30 rd mag! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,565 Senior Member
    That had me laughing just by reading it, I cant even imagine being there!!!:spittingcoffee:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    The red stag incident...................

On the 4th night the rain had let up so we decided to grab the spotlights and .22's and go and chase possums/ rabbits when it got dark. We figured the previous few days had been pretty strenuous and we deserved a nice easy night riding around on the quad. The area had been poisoned a few months before so we didnt hold out much hope for a good night hunt. We load up the bike, and at 9pm and head off down one of the tracks on the property. Cos it was night I didnt bother taking the still or movie camera. We also put BH's 222 on the bike in case we managed to spring some goats.

Drive around the first bend in the track and the spotlights pick up a set of eyes on the trunk of a tree about 50 m away. 'Phut' ( yes a suppressed .22 does go 'Phut' ) and the 1st one ( possum) is down. Continue around the corner and a rabbit darts off the side of the track and gaps it down the track. BH gets it on the 2nd or 3rd shot as its running.........and we pick it up as it makes good bait for the crayfish pot.

Its a good start to the night and were were enjoying the change in weather. As we come around the next corner my spotlight picks up some eyes about 400m away on the side of a hill. ( BTW I am driving the quad with my right steering and using the throttle, have got my big spotlight in my left hand sweeping the area in front and to the side while BH is riding side saddle on the back carrier ready to do the 'business' )

I stopped the quad as we both said 'Deer' ! I shut off all the lights including the quads and BH swaps his .22 for the 222. We then idle along the track around a few corners without lights until we were much closer and able to look along the side of the steep gully where the 'eyes' had appeared. I shut the bike off and said to BH, " I will flick the big light on for a few seconds to see where the deer is and ID it, then flick the light off so we can decide what to do". When I flick the light on then off we see 3 sets of eyes about 110m away ............and they are big Red deer. We decide that we will take one.

BH gets ready and when he is in position I flick the light back on, hold it on the biggest and the 222 barks. The deer collapses on the spot with a perfect between the eyes shot and crumples................then rolls over ...........and over...............and over...............and over...........and over.............until it finally disappears towards the bottom of the gully. I follow it with the light until it goes from sight.

Oh CRAP! ( Actually we didnt say 'crap' ........we said a whole lot of words much worse...:rotflmao:)

I then said to BH "You walk along the track until you are above where he is then head down the hill while I guide you from here with the big light. When you find it, I will come down and help you carry it up the hill". He then heads off up the track turns right after a 100m or so and heads down the hill. I could mark his progress by his headlamp.............when suddenly it disappears. I then hear a whole passel of swear words bouncing off the hills in the still night air. A few minutes later his headlamp reappears and I yelled out "What the hell are you doing?"..................I wont repeat his reply, but he had fallen/slid down a 20' drop........so I told him to stop having fun playing around on the side of the hill and go find the deer. :tooth:

During his descent he kept disappearing and each time it was followed by more cussing and swearing. After 25 minutes he still hadnt found it so I told him to stop, keep his headlamp on and I would come down. I walk up the track, turn right after 100m and start heading down the hill. Did I mention that the terrain was steep?

I didnt fall/slide over the same drop cos my mum didnt raise dumb kids...............I went around it.............and about 2 minutes later fell/slid down an almost sheer 30' face......Luckily the bushes stopped me going any further and broke my fall. I then repeated pretty much word for word what he had said earlier!

Eventually we met up and did a grid search, finally locating the deer wrapped around a stump that had arrested its fall.....about 300m further down the hill from where it was shot and about 200m from the bottom of the gully.

After a short breather we tried to lift it for the carry back up the hill. With both of us lifting, we could only get the rear legs off the ground. We came to the conclusion that there aint no way we were going to carry it out as the only route was straight back up the hill. Accordingly we took the back legs, the front legs and the back steaks off plus other edible bits and grabbing a leg and a back strap each we headed back towards the quad. It was so steep we had to crawl up the hill on our hands and knees!!!!!! ( We weighed one of the legs when we got back to BH's place 5 days later and each one weighed just on 16 kg......they were heavy)

When we got about 3/4 of the way back up the hill we came across a flat area which was an old track. I said to BH that I might be able to get the quad along here even though it was covered in scrub and slips and all the detritus of the logging that had taken place 12mths earlier so we dropped the legs and backstraps and while I bashed my way up to the main track, BH returned for another load. I finally got back to the bike, turned it around and headed about 500m back down the main track until I found the disused overgrown entrance of the old track. The first part of the track was quite good..........but after 50m it started to get hairy. The pampas grass was about waist high, just tall enough to hide big logs and small slips perfectly. With the track only about twice the width of the quad and a sheer drop to my right I was starting to get the impression that this was not a good idea. A couple of times I ran into 'stuff' that had the bike up on its 2 right wheels which got the adrenaline pumping and me getting ready to jump off........but I managed to get to within 20m of where we had dumped the legs etc. We finally got all the meat to the bike, turned it around by using a 10 point turn and started the journey back to base. The ride back along the disused track was easier cos we piled most of the weight on the 'hill' side of the bike which helped keep the wheels on that side in contact with the dirt. ( Even then BH got off and walked in a couple of places )

We finally got back to our base without incident. We shot the deer at about 9.25pm..........we didnt get back to base till just after 3am. After hanging the meat in the meat safe we reckoned we deserved a beer in front of the fire. Never has a beer tasted so good!!!! We discussed the nights events and decided that we were definitely going to have an easy day when we woke up as we were buggered!.

Little did I know what was going to happen the following morning.....................

More to come.

( apologies for the lack of pics btw. The deer was a big red stag but due to the season his antlers had already dropped and he only had the beginnings of his new 'rack' starting to develop.)

i can't begin to tell you how much I love this....anywhere in the U.S. you'd both be in the hoosegow for jacklighting and in a fair number of places for wanton waste for not taking every last edible bit....I really envy you your hunting opportuniities....I've always wanted to hunt red deer, but hunting with you guys would be an absolute hoot...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    i can't begin to tell you how much I love this....anywhere in the U.S. you'd both be in the hoosegow for jacklighting and in a fair number of places for wanton waste for not taking every last edible bit....I really envy you your hunting opportuniities....I've always wanted to hunt red deer, but hunting with you guys would be an absolute hoot...

Thanks. BH and I are saving the good stuff for when you or anyone else comes over.
    Spotlighting is not permitted on public land, but provided you have the owners permission you can on private land.