Bought my Christmas present for me today!!!

weshodweshod New MemberPosts: 26 New Member
Been trying to decide between a Remington 700 CDL SF and a Browning stainless hunter in 7mm-08 for a few weeks now. Went to the gun shop today and held the Browning, didn't like it. Remington felt good but just wasn't sure. Finally held a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight wood/stainless. If they would have had it in 7-08 I would have bought it on the spot. Dealer checked on one from his supplier and could get it $100 cheaper than the .308 he had on the rack. Ordered it, should be here Wednesday. So merry Christmas to me! Now just have to decide what scope I am going to put on it.

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Merry Sucketh to you. Pics required when you get it.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Well, Merry Christmas to you :beer:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    weshod wrote: »
    Been trying to decide between a Remington 700 CDL SF and a Browning stainless hunter in 7mm-08 for a few weeks now. Went to the gun shop today and held the Browning, didn't like it. Remington felt good but just wasn't sure. Finally held a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight wood/stainless. If they would have had it in 7-08 I would have bought it on the spot. Dealer checked on one from his supplier and could get it $100 cheaper than the .308 he had on the rack. Ordered it, should be here Wednesday. So merry Christmas to me! Now just have to decide what scope I am going to put on it.

Man, there are only two scopes I think that gun is worthy of, the VX-3 Leupold 3.5-1ox40 or the 2.5-10X40 Nikon Monarch.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    Congrats! The 7mm08 is a great cartridge, you will love it.

I have mine topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9, but am giving serious consideration to replacing it with a Leupold VX-R 3-9
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Christmas comes early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats weshod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a very nice score. I love the look of stainless and wood rifles so pictures are required when you pick up. Enjoy it and Merry Christmas. +1 on the Leupold VX3 suggestion.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Ho Ho Ho----Merry Christmas
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    Sounds like a deal! I've never owned a 7-08 but have always wanted one. It's a bit up on the 7mm Mauser, which I love.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I'd go with a smaller scope then most have suggested so far, personally.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/134630/nikon-prostaff-rifle-scope-2-7x-32mm-nikopex-reticle-matte

Good choice on rifles though! I put a M70 FWT 30-06 on layaway last week
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »

Except get it in black, matte black, gloss black, satin black doesn't matter. Please do yourself a favor and dont get a silver colored scope.

Only exception to the rule is if it is a SCREAMING deal and you are handy with a rattle can or air brush.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Whats with all the hate against silver scopes? A black scope would look out of place on that model IMO.

I think mine looks pretty sharp with silver.

008-2.jpg
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    DSC00466.jpg

This is my rebuttal.
    Your rifle does look nice, IMHO silver scopes usually look gaudy and cheap.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • weshodweshod New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Definitely going silver with the scope on this one. I have a couple different stainless rifles with matte black scopes already. One model 70 black synthetic/stainless with blued receiver that the black works well on, and a model 700 lss that looks really good (in my opinion) with the grey laminated stock. Justin10mm your rifle looks EXACTLY what I hope mine looks like when finished, thank you for posting the picture. Still haven't made up my mind yet on what scope to go with but leaning really hard toward the Ziess conquest in either 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x44. I have had many great suggestions from this site and I appreciate the input!