Home Main Category Hunting

My Largest Deer Ever!

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
I was blessed to kill my largest buck to date, this 16 point, 166 1/8" Giant this morning at 10 yards in Kansas. I have hunted hard this year and it finally paid off waiting for the right deer....I was lucky to share this experience with my Son, it was truly an incredible experience.

IMG_3889.png

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Your year just keeps getting better!

:worthy:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,769 Senior Member
    That is quite nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,617 Senior Member
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Yep!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,194 Senior Member
    That's a stud buck...congratulations!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Your year just keeps getting better!

:worthy:

Thanks brother
    Zee wrote: »
    That is quite nice!

Thank you Zed head��
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Damn!!! Now THAT'S a rack!!!

Don't say that very loud around your wife!
    jbohio wrote: »
    Wow! Congrats

Thanks ohio
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    That's a stud buck...congratulations!

You missing those Kansas whitetail yet jay hawker?
    Rocketman wrote: »
    :yikes:

The exact look when I walked up on it this morning!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    That's it, I'm not opening your post any more:jester: All I can say is Damn, I'd be happy to see one half that size. :worthy: Congrats

Sako
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,459 Senior Member
    Awesome hunting to get that bruiser at 10yds, nicely done.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,194 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    You missing those Kansas whitetail yet jay hawker?

Well.....yeah...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,170 Senior Member
    Wow! Just wow!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    A-frickn-mazing! 10 yards?

Yea we need details... arrow / arrow head type, bow setup, blind or stand , trail cam , pre scouting, time in to blind or stand, time to arrive, distance from truck to kill, ...

Come on we're droolin' here! What did he weigh?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Dude. Wow.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Good hustle! What a bruiser!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,335 Senior Member
    That is one deer to be proud of. Congratulations, I be having your son with you made it even better
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
    Liar!

That ain't Kansas! Everybody knows there aren't any trees in Kansas

;)

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,549 Senior Member
    Beautiful buck!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I was lucky to share this experience with my Son......very cool
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,377 Senior Member
    Wow!!!!!!

Excellent result, all the more cos your son was there to share the experience.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    That is a great looking buck. Congrats.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,498 Senior Member
    Wow gorgeous buck, congrats! They grow them big in KS!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,907 Senior Member
    That is a good one and having your son there is even better. SE Kansas?
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Wow, that is a TOAD!! Congrats!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

DETAILS: What a crazy moment, so to speak. My Son and I made the 35 minute trip to our hunting area Monday morning and we were running behind (I couldn't get him out of bed- LOL), by the time we pulled into the area where we park, shooting hours were minutes away. My Son headed off to his stand which is about a 10 minute walk and I headed to mine which is about a 2 minute walk (Ok, I am old and take the easy way out sometimes), but my stand has a great history with several good buck being taken from it. It is the perfect funnel, where two sections of woods come together, and make the perfect traveling area for deer to stay in the cover off trees and not be in the open.

It happened so fast, I got into my 15 foot ladder stand, secured my harness, grabbed 3 scent bombs filled with doe estorous and hung them above my head in the stand. I grabbed an arrow, knocked it, sat down, got settled in and literally looked down at my watch and saw it was legal to shoot and I hear, crunch, crunch, I look to my left and all I see is horns and a huge body (estimated live weight was 250 lbs) heading my way, I immediately stand up and draw back, the deer goes past my stand and I have an angling away shot.....I am shaking like a leaf, and while I would love to say I made the perfect double lung shot, I did not. The sight path was dim in the low light and dense woods, and I had the instant kicking myself in the rear for not turning my lighted sight on my pins, it was too late now as I was at full draw and he was at 10 yards.....it was now or never, I let her rip and the lighted nock lights up like a x-mas tree as I release...... WACK!!!!! It sounded like a very hard hit hard but it looked far forward.

Trying to catch my composure, I sank from my feet and instantly dropped to the seat of the stand in amazement as to what just happened, the instant thought of I just screwed this up passed through my head for a brief few seconds. As the deer bolts he is hitting trees left and right as he is trying to make his escape, within 10 seconds of the shot I hear a crash and loud coughing and hacking from the bruiser, I knew at this point it had to be a fatal hit. After 5 minutes of no sound, I couldn't take it, while I like to give a bow hit deer at least an hour after the shot, I felt really good as to what my ears had just painted in my head, I had to get a better look at how big this deer really was. Everything had take place so quickly, that I didn't even take a **** look at this rack, I just knew it was a big deer. I climbed down from my stand and from the base of my stand I could see the deer laying 50 yards away. I nocked another arrow just in case and headed toward the deer, there is a blood trail the size of the Mississippi River as I walk toward him, there was no need for a follow up shot. As I walk up to the massive rack I can't help but notice that it looked like someone had dumped a gallon bucket of red paint in the woods. I had hit that deer right below the ear!! I instantly grab my phone from my pocket to call my Son to get to my stand, not thinking straight, I actually scared the hell out of him, he thought getting a call this quick and the shaking in my voice to get to my stand that I was hurt....He says "Are you OK?" - Yes, I just shot a monster! "What? - How Big? Is it dead?" - I reply with YES, BIG and YES - he says he is on his way. As I back tracked later back toward the stand I would find my arrow with the 3 blades of my fixed broad head missing, they were obviously lodged in his head still, I cannot believe how far this deer went with this hit.

While my Son wasn't in the stand for the actual shot he is there within minutes and it was incredible to share the hugs and high fives of killing my biggest deer in 40 plus years of hunting. I did put in a lot of time this year.....since Mid September I have made 50 plus trips to this property, and had passed quite a few decent deer in that time frame. Funny thing, on the way down that morning I told my Son I was starting to get burned out from hunting so hard, I had just spend the last two weekends in the Missouri woods with rifle trying to kill a big deer there, but never came across the one I wanted and had spent countless hours bow hunting in Kansas; it was all starting to wear on me. I told him, the next buck that passed my stand was getting an arrow flung at it....Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! I still have a doe tag in KS to fill and December 24th to January 3rd is the Missouri Alternative season (muzzle loader, handgun) to try to harvest another big buck. No more burn out, the fire had just been re-kindled!

I shoot a PSE X-Force with draw weight of 65 lbs. and use a 3 blade fixed Allen broad heads......here are a few more pics......

IMG_3894.png

IMG_3896.png

IMG_3895.png