Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

53 years ago.

RocketmanRocketman BannedPosts: 1,118 Senior Member
President Kennedy was assassinated. Where were you at the time?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,112 Senior Member
    7th Grade in a one room school in Enterprise, Kansas...Our teacher announced what had happened and asked my friend and I to go out and lower the flag to half-staff....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JRLJRL Member Posts: 355 Member
    Rocketman wrote: »

3rd grade playground (8 yrs old)... I remember teacher telling us to come back into class and she told us there
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    Deer hunting up north in Wis with a Marlin 336 30-30, they closed classes at UW-M; so we stayed hunting a few more days.

Also was in the Marines as a PLC.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I had another almost two years to be born. I have however read three books about it. Im not a conspiracy zealot, but I find the minute details of the event fascinating.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    In a car heading to Micky Ds for a 19 or was it 29 cent hamburger. I was 10 years old. I think the sign said 1 million sold by then.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I wasn't doing a damn thing. It wasn't until 46 years ago (minus 4 days) until I was born.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    In a car heading to Micky Ds for a 19 or was it 29 cent hamburger. I was 10 years old. I think the sign said 1 million sold by then.

15 cent hamburgers and 10 cent fries.

4 hamburgers and 4 fries for a dollar----used to eat that on the way up north to go hunting.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    I too was a twinkling in my daddy's eye. But I find the history intriguing. So many theories, some of which are Alex Jones based, but interesting nonetheless. Still sickens me that a good man had his life taken in front of his wife and nation that day.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    15 cent hamburgers and 10 cent fries.

4 hamburgers and 4 fries for a dollar----used to eat that on the way up north to go hunting.

maybe the cheeseburgers were a few cents more...............long time ago.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,221 Senior Member
    Evreux air base, Normandy, France
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    My dad's eye had already twinkled, but I wasn't born yet. :rotflmao:

I, too, think it was a horrible thing, and marked the decline of politics for many years to come after that day.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    just got off work and was hanging out at a friends auto repair shop.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    6th grade recess, playing what passed for soccer - a dusty free-for-all with about 50 kids balled up in a knot, kicking in the general direction of one ball. The principal cut recess short and marched us all back to class where we listened to an announcement on the PA system. I spent the next three days glued to the TV set, and have read nearly everything since that has been written about it.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Got off the bus from elementary school was on the tv when I walked in. :tissue: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Wasn't born yet.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Driving Mom's 59 Ford Galaxie 500 with my learner's permit. Heard it on the radio. My Mom was riding shotgun, she made me cut the trip short and go home.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    I was 4, so really do not remember. I do remember that every TV channel had what was happening live and the cartoons I watched were not on.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    High school. A football game was scheduled that night. It was played as scheduled. Only the halftime show was cancelled.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    ............. have read nearly everything since that has been written about it.

Who Was the Umbrella Man?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That was 22 years before I was born. My Dad was 6 at the time.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I was only 4 at the time so probably wasn't doing much for society at that time.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    shush wrote: »

If you are Oliver Stone, he was the mastermind of the whole convoluted conspiracy, signalling the shooters, while sending a last message to a dying man about his failure to protect the Cuban freedom fighters with air cover, at the Bay of Pigs.

If you are sensible person, he was most likely just a heckler who had discovered that the opened umbrella was a dig at Joseph Kennedy for backing Neville Chamberlain, who usually carried an umbrella..
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Explain this away then, if you can.

Actual footage;

Love the music.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Rocketman wrote: »

In school. It was just after lunch when my 6th grade teacher came it a bit late. You could tell from the redness in her eyes that she had been crying. She announced to the class that the president had been assassinated. It was probably the first and only time that year that the entire room was silent.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

We were watching an old rerun of the X files, and learned that it was the cigarette smoking man who shot JFK from the storm gutter. He was signaled by the umbrella man.

Or at least that's the way it was presented in that episode. It was also the cigarette smoking man who killed MLK.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    In school. It was just after lunch when my 6th grade teacher came it a bit late. You could tell from the redness in her eyes that she had been crying. She announced to the class that the president had been assassinated. It was probably the first and only time that year that the entire room was silent.

My teacher had obviously been crying, too. But, when it was announced over the PA, the class clown cheered, and the teacher completely freaked out. I thought she was going to beat him down, but instead she took it out on the whole class with a long tirade that had most of the girls crying and the boys wanting to crawl under their desks. She was right, of course, in what she said, but it was still a bit surprising for me to see a grown-up get so riled up. We all proceeded as if walking on eggshells, for the rest of the day.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Leaving the men's dormitory at U.T. Martin Campus headed for the dining hall. I was a freshman engineering student. My chemistry professor said Kennedy's "chickens had come home to roost"- - - - -apparently he was not a fan of the prez!
    Jerry
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member

Actual footage;

Love the music.

One of my favorite episodes
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member
    Was not born yet.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Gee, I don't know what to say...you have video. Poor choice of weapon, though.