Troops, recruiters will be allowed to carry...

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,554 Senior Member
http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/troops-concealed-handguns-armed-military-recruiters

About time - I guess Obama's generals aren't afraid of him, now.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    About bloody time!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,536 Senior Member
    Approval will come from local commanders. That will not be blanket coverage, my guess there will very few authorized to carry.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Approval will come from local commanders. That will not be blanket coverage, my guess there will very few authorized to carry.
    Always has been in Navy Regs for commanders to approve such.

We do not have recruiters belonging to local commanders, so, nothing will change in this area. Besides once or more a year in this town a Marine shoots and kills another
    just playing with unloaded handguns.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »

I agree with this...I see a very short list of troops that will be allowed to carry. I can see certain NCOs and Company Grade officers getting the nod...

When I was in the Army I knew a lot of guys who shouldn't be allowed to stand next to the arms room, much less be toting a gun around. I don't think things have changed all that much over the years...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    What I want to see is people like me to be able to bring handgun on base, even in a locked box so I can cross the base to the national Forest
    where I can use it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,536 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I agree with this...I see a very short list of troops that will be allowed to carry. I can see certain NCOs and Company Grade officers getting the nod...

When I was in the Army I knew a lot of guys who shouldn't be allowed to stand next to the arms room, much less be toting a gun around. I don't think things have changed all that much over the years...

The soldiers of today are much different than those of the cold war era. While I would not trust many of yesterday or todays garrison soldiers to carry, many did daily for months and months while deployed. Today they are NCOs that I think would do just fine.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    If these people fight for our country with arms, they damn well should carry arms on their bases, recruiting stations, and elsewhere, as needed.
    KSDeputy wrote: »
    If these people fight for our country with arms, they damn well should carry arms on their bases, recruiting stations, and elsewhere, as needed.

Yea, ya think?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    Eh. I'd say it's going to be a very narrow list. There's quite a few around here I worry about carrying a training weapon, much less a real one...
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
    Sarge wrote: »
    Eh. I'd say it's going to be a very narrow list. There's quite a few around here I worry about carrying a training weapon, much less a real one...
    That's right----there are some at Camp Lejeune can't be trusted with a bayonet
    NN wrote: »
    That's right----there are some at Camp Lejeune can't be trusted with a bayonet

There's a whole lot here that I would barely trust to wipe their own butt cheeks. Don't get me wrong, most of the ones I work with I'd trust my life with. (Most of them wear a campaign hat) But then again, there's some... Just make the rest of us look bad...
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
    Sarge wrote: »
    There's a whole lot here that I would barely trust to wipe their own butt cheeks. Don't get me wrong, most of the ones I work with I'd trust my life with. (Most of them wear a campaign hat) But then again, there's some... Just make the rest of us look bad...

Sorta like 'Gomer Pyle'?

zorba wrote: »
    Sorta like 'Gomer Pyle'?

Well I usually just call him bugs bunny but yeah.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,271 Senior Member
    So- - - - -what is there about a smokey bear hat that turns a guy into a ninja warrior? Same way a badge turns a LEO into a Jedi knight, maybe?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Well I have two kids that I'm worried sick every time they are out and about in uniform without their legally owned private handguns. It is absolutely RIDICULOUS that the states they reside in feel it's quite ok for them to be issued CC licenses and YET the military that employes them wil not allow them to carry their sidearms when they are in the base even though they are NCOs and anyone in uniform is a target anytime, anywhere...

Oh sure you can carry a grenade launcher in a combat zone, but heavens forbid we don't trust you to have your side arm on a domestic military base... Because... logic?
    Teach wrote: »
    So- - - - -what is there about a smokey bear hat that turns a guy into a ninja warrior? Same way a badge turns a LEO into a Jedi knight, maybe?
    :uhm:
    Jerry

Ghost, spirit, ninja, all seeing eye, Satan... All of those work ;)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,271 Senior Member
    You forgot arrogance.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    You forgot arrogance.
    Jerry

You mean... Say it ain't so... That Drill Sergeants aren't the best thing since sliced bread??
  • stetsonstetson Member Posts: 42 Member
    Time for National carry and elimination of gun free zones!
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    soldiers with guns, what will they think of next.