Home Main Category Hunting

Hearing protection while hunting...

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberTampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
Used to be that I'd either wear earplugs (can't hear anything) or throw on a pair of earmuffs just before shooting. But either method seriously limits what you hear either before/after the shot, and may require a scramble to put on your ears before shooting.

Recently (the last couple years), I have been wearing some amplified earmuffs (Howard Leigh) any time it's not too miserably hot. My hearing is not what it was 30 yrs ago, and the difference is AMAZING. I hear game before it even gets there most of the time, don't have to scramble to put something on, and can CLEARLY hear game's departure (if it goes anywhere after the shot).

Best of all, I love stalking, and it enables me to crank up the volume so I force myself to walk super slow since anything more than a snail's pace sounds like an elephant crashing through the woods, and I hear deer & hogs before I see them. I heard two spikes walking through the woods just last week before they came into sight, and got to watch them walk within ~30 FEET of me as I stood there motionless.

The first one never even saw me (I was downwind), and the second one looked my way for a few seconds, and then slowly walked off. (Florida rules require at least 3 points on one side or main beams of at least 10")

Does anybody else use a set of amplified earmuffs? If not, I strongly recommend trying a pair.

Luis
Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I wear the Howard Leight Impact Sport. At first the amplification drove me nuts, all I could hear was the wind. Then I took them off... and all I could hear was the wind.

This was the first year I have taken game wearing them and it was great to not spend the rest of the day hearing the phone ring.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Never have, and probably never will. I've also done a fair amount of shooting without hearing protection at all.

That's likely why I constantly have ringing in my ears and poor hearing.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    I always wear howard leight muffs while hunting. Not only do they enhance my hearing, but they also keep the ears warm when it gets cold.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I own the exact same pair of Howard Leight muffs, and I do enjoy them. However, the big issue with every set of muffs I won is that they dow not keep a good fit when I get low on a rifle stock. Accordingly, I use the Surefire Sonic Defender plugs that sit out of the ear canal on a soft frame, and can be pushed in just before you shoot. They aren't amplified, but they attenuate the muzzle blast well and prevent hearing damage. One day, I may fork over the big bucks for a set of amplified/protective ear plugs.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    At the risk of invoking jealousy, my simple answer to the question about using amplified earmuffs my answer is no, I dont need them cos I use suppressors..............

Which reminds me, I should be getting a ph call in the next 24 hrs that the 3 rifles I sent in last week to be threaded for the new suppressors are ready to be picked up. :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I won't shoot without them anymore. I spent years in my youth shooting 12 gauge and .38's with minimal hearing protection and I am paying for it. My left ear is much dimmer than my right. Amplified muffs help me hear better and I have cured my flinch with them as well.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I do.
    I'm on the fence about the amplification though. Yes, it amplifies sound. But i have a harder time pinpointing where the sound is coming from.

You might need a different/better pair. I have NO trouble telling direction of sound with mine.
    orchidman wrote: »
    At the risk of invoking jealousy, my simple answer to the question about using amplified earmuffs my answer is no, I dont need them cos I use suppressors..............

Which reminds me, I should be getting a ph call in the next 24 hrs that the 3 rifles I sent in last week to be threaded for the new suppressors are ready to be picked up. :tooth:

:yousuck: !!!! LOL

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I was just looking at some amplified sound loud noise protection ear buds, good idea I think since most muffs interfere with too
    much because of size; but at 300 dollars; I'll use muffs when needed.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    At the risk of invoking jealousy,:tooth:
    :yousuck:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    I bought a cheap Caldwell set about 5-6 years ago and they still work fine. I like them, and will get a better pair, someday, if they ever break. I don't hunt with ear protection, though. It would seem pointless, after all of the .30 cal M1 Carbin rounds I shot through a Blackhawk before ear protection was in style.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member North CarolinaPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I went another route. NC started allowing hunting with a suppressor a couple years back. The cost was not cheap at first but it does make a heck of a difference in comfort. I have only taken a couple deer but when it comes to feral pigs I don't hunt with anyone who doesn't use a can. If we get lucky and the Hearing Protection Act does go through the suppressor market will be crushed for a long time as manufacturers will be backlogged for months and months ... unless you know how to make your own like some here would.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I went another route. NC started allowing hunting with a suppressor a couple years back. The cost was not cheap at first but it does make a heck of a difference in comfort. I have only taken a couple deer but when it comes to feral pigs I don't hunt with anyone who doesn't use a can. If we get lucky and the Hearing Protection Act does go through the suppressor market will be crushed for a long time as manufacturers will be backlogged for months and months ... unless you know how to make your own like some here would.

Google solvent trap kit.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Sound Gear....Love em!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I bought a cheap Caldwell set about 5-6 years ago and they still work fine. I like them, and will get a better pair, someday, if they ever break. I don't hunt with ear protection, though. It would seem pointless, after all of the .30 cal M1 Carbin rounds I shot through a Blackhawk before ear protection was in style.

A Blackhawk chambered in 30 m1 caliber is reputed to be a extremely loud combo to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

The first time you hear birds, turkeys, hogs, and deer coming through the woods that you haven't heard in the last 20 yrs, it will be worth every penny!!!

Luis
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    I must admit that I have suffered some hearing loss over the years from a variety of causes.

The only reason why I dont wear earmuffs is that I cant hear the voices in my head too good with them on............and also partly cos the cicadas and crickets already in there drown them out.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....