loading for a 44-40

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,460 Senior Member
I have wanted a uberti for a while and I found a remington model in my lgs yesterday but it is in 44-40 not 45 that I would prefer. I have heard that 44-40 is hard to load that the case crushes seating and crimping. Does anyone have experience that you can share? This is not something I am going to shoot thousands of rounds thru but I will shoot it. I tried to do a search for this, I thought I had seen this subject here before, but couldn't find anything.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    The case necks do tend to be thin so crushing is always a concern. My dad uses a 44-40 for CAS and has very little issue any more. There is a bit of a learning curve as I recall. When he first started with it he ruined a few but now it seldom happens. A bevel base cast bullet and a proper bell seem to best solve the problem.

Sako
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Aside from the thin necks , too many people try to use .430 jacketed or .431 cast bullets intended for .44 special/magnum. The 44/40 uses a .427 bullet and die sets usually have a .425 expander plug. Another downside to the 44/40 is no carbide dies , the semi-bottleneck cases and steel dies need to be lubed.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    Another downside to the 44/40 is no carbide dies , the semi-bottleneck cases and steel dies need to be lubed.
    This problem alone is why I didn't purchase a 44-40! Good cartridge if you don't mind the sizing hassle.