Home Main Category Hunting

I am thankful on this day. My boy's first deer!!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 26,944 Senior Member
On this Thanksgiving Day, I am thankful for many things. Especially my family and friends.

My Rancher friend called me yesterday and said he had identified a cull buck my boy could shoot as his first deer. He had mentioned to me last month that my boy would be able to shoot a deer on his place this year so, we had been practicing. At the range, he'd been shooting my .223 Heavy with scary accuracy from field positions.

Hunting%20Season%20Practice%2010-30-16%2013%20-%20Copy_zpsuec1d5pr.jpg

That's 10 rounds in the center circle from 100 yards off a sitting rest!

At the call that a buck had been located, we ran to the range for one last session. He fired 2 rounds with the .223 on paper that were about 1/4" apart so I put him behind the .243 Medium that he would be using and let him fire a round. Right in the middle of the paster!!! We were ready!!!!

We headed to the ranch in the afternoon and met up with my friend. We drove to the hunting spot in his ATV. It was a little draw with a gravel road passing through the middle. On one side was a tall, brush covered hill where the deer bedded down. On the other side was a "grassy knoll" with some persimmon trees and sparse vegetation. We set up on the knoll next to a persimmon tree with the Spec Rest in front of him for a sitting position and a veil draped around us for a blind. We had set the blind back enough to where we were just peeking over the ridge and our bodies were mostly obscured. My boy sitting next to me and my friend behind us, we waited.

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%204_zps4a2kk7pw.jpg

We had scattered corn along the road to hold the deer in place long enough for a shot should they arrive as planned and after a little while, they began coming out of the brush like ants!!!

Does, yearlings, spikes, small bucks..........all began to move. Some staying to eat corn, others crossing the draw and heading to other parts. Finally, after about an hour and a half, bigger bucks began to materialize. My friend studied them and finally said, "Take the one on the left." Really? I asked if he was sure. There was nothing wrong with that deer that I could tell. "Take the one on the left", he repeated. Ok!

I told my boy which one and he aimed in. My boy had been practicing dry fire on some of the does and small bucks while we waited. Walking through the sequence and aiming point, we had practiced our communication. Now that it was go time, he got settled on the buck and was about to shoot when he turned away from us. We waited. Finally broadside............aimed in........and he turns towards us! He stayed in this position for several minutes. The stress and excitement was beginning to get to my boy. I talked him through the excitement and kept him focused on the task. After an eternity, the buck turned to our right and we talked through the shot.

Video
http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/lovinmycaitlynn/Hunting/Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%20Short%20Front%20Half_zpsies3cdtx.mp4

At 57 yards, my boy let fly with a 105gr A-Max from the .243 Winchester. The sun was at a perfect angle to reflect off the bullet like a tracer round! Streaking across the draw, you can see the bullet enter the buck's chest. A perfect heart shot!!!!

IMG_0285_zps9vrpek9k.png

IMG_0287_zpsebzl0hbs.jpg

The buck jumped and took off to our right. I quickly grabbed my back-up rifle and stood up to see over the brush. Ready to shoot as I didn't know exactly where he'd hit the buck at the moment. But, almost immediately I see the buck doing the forward lean, getting lower and lower to the ground as he sprinted down hill. My boy asked what was happening and I told him the buck was going down. Then, he fell over and I threw both arms in the air in celebration! Yes!!! The world was spinning! We were hugging and celebrating, the I was a happy father. I leaned over to my friend and said, "Thank you for making my boy the happiest little man at this moment in time."

We gathered our gear and headed over to the buck. My boy had made a PERFECT heart shot! But, even with his heart blown out and only living about 8-10 seconds after the shot, the buck was able to make a mad rush down hill and cover 137 yards before falling.

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2012%20-%20Copy_zpsypcwkdkd.jpg

Did I mention we were celebrating?

As the sun set in the west, we took our pictures and thanked God for the man that provided the opportunity and the deer he had given us. A moment that will never be forgotten.

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2020%20-%20Copy_zps3uiekak2.jpg

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2015%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsy25gznxm.jpg

We loaded the buck and headed to the barn.

At the barn, I handed my boy a knife and said that a good friend of mine had sent it to him. Now was a good time for him to have it. To gut his first deer. And the crowning cut?

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2040_zpsr0fvugdo.jpg

Thank you, CPJ. I hope we adequately christened the knife in a fitting manner that you approve of.

There is no science in this thread as I was too busy with the experience. But, I just want you to take a quick look at the damage done by the .243 and 105gr A-Max.

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2041_zpsl0ldcowh.jpg

Not much left of the heart!

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2042_zpsuxbh5y32.jpg

The skull is all ready for a European Mount.

IMG_0263_zps2xx8eiyj.jpg

While cleaning the buck, I asked my friend, "Why this deer? Why is he a cull?"

"He wasn't a big enough 8 point."

"There isn't anything WRONG with him!", I said. "This isn't a cull!"

After a pause, my friend said........"I wanted your boy to have a nice first deer."

Well, he did. There are wonderfully giving people in this world and I am blessed to know some of them.

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2025_zpsqggpa9m5.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks like a memorable morning.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Awesome!!! So happy for you and your son!! That's gotta make for the best Thanksgiving ever!

Super nice guy to let your son have a shot at such a nice first deer!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Absolutely awesome and fantastic work all around. That young man will never forget this. Never.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,868 Senior Member
    Tell your son Atta' Boy, once again, you are obviously doing something right, keep it up:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Nice buck.

Congrats to you and your boy.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,961 Senior Member
    Outflipping standing
    Please pass on one more congratulations to the young man.

P.S. he looks just like you in the face
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,216 Senior Member
    Not much more than I can say but that is totally awesome!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Wow!!! What a nice buck, especially for a kids first take. Nicely done and congrats.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,770 Senior Member
    When you wrote "take the one on the left" I figured you had a good friend.

Congrats to the son, the dad, and a good buddy
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,011 Senior Member
    Congratulations to your son on his first deer, to you for teaching him, and the rancher for having a heart as big as Texas.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    Awesome!!!
    Congratulations to you both. And thank you for sharing this moment with us.

( Your friend is a good man with a good heart)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    So glad for all three of you. Obvious wonderful friendship, and family experince with memories you will all cherish for the rest of your lives. Congrats!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,944 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. It was an awesome experience.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    What a memory. I look forward to my own with my boys. Congrats to you and your son.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is genuinely awesome. Your son did great not letting the fever get him. Congratulations Dad.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    I'd like to shake that mans hand, there are saints still in this world. What he did for your boy and you is nothing short of outstanding. Congratulations all around.

Sako
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,875 Senior Member
    A helluva buck for a first deer, and a damn good man for making this happen.....and as for you...you're a helluva Dad...Congtatulations to all of you....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    Congrats to you and your boy and all involved.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,061 Senior Member
    As Brett Michaels of the band Poison once said: MMMMMMMMMMM. . .GUITAR! :cool2::applause::up::beer:

Most sincere congratulations to your Faceless Minion. That's a GOOD day!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Awesome! Memories to last a lifetime. Congrats to both.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,574 Senior Member
    What a fantastic story. Blessings abound! Well done Father & son!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,218 Senior Member
    A joy beyond description!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Your son can certainly shoot. Great first deer, and congrats to all three of you.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Well done, all the way around. No doubt, one of the great days in the lives of two men, and a boy that is taking his place among men. I tip my hat to the three of you. :beer:
    Thank you all again. I dropped the skull off at the taxidermist yesterday. I could have boiled it myself, but it wouldn't have been as white and clean looking. She is going to mount it to a Mesquite Plaque and it will look nicer than I ever could do. My dad wanted to help (He wanted me to SHOULDER MOUNT the Head!) pay for it and make a nice Christmas present for my boy.

My dad mounted my first deer head (doe) and my first buck. But, back then it cost $125 for a shoulder mount. Now days, it is $600!!!!! I figure I can do 6 skulls in his room to every shoulder mount. And they don't take up as much space.
    My friend has said, since my boy was "such a good shot" he could come back and cull a doe as well.

Another rancher has offered to let him shoot an Axis doe or Red Deer hind this year!!!

If this all works out, my boy will have an amazing first hunting season.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Let me guess, he got his shooting skill from his mother? :rotflmao: :roll2:

Along with his brains.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Congratulations, we need more youngsters like yours brought into the world of hunting and being outdoors rather than staring at a screen. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,061 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    . . .My dad mounted my first deer head (doe) and my first buck. But, back then it cost $125 for a shoulder mount. Now days, it is $600!!!!! I figure I can do 6 skulls in his room to every shoulder mount. And they don't take up as much space.

One of those personal calls, but the way it clicks in my head is that the European skull mounts are much more your actual deer than antlers and skin attached to a plastic head form. Cheaper AND cooler. . .and they take up less space, and are easier to dust.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Along with his brains.

He definitely got his looks from you though, thats something............isnt it? :wink:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....